Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago I ran afoul of some kid on an american reptile forum. He had taken in an iguana to save it from poor living conditions but a month later he's not happy that his iguana still hates him and wants to know what he should do with it in terms of no longer being it's owner. He even wanted to know if he should let it go.

I admit I let him have it, not quite with both barrels, but I shouldn't have lost my temper. I went so far as to call him a spoiled brat. I think part of my anger stems from the fact that I also rescued an iguana a month ago and the thought of throwing Gollum out on his ass just because he doesn't like me(and he doesn't) is downright painful.

Now I'm sitting here still :censor: off at that kind of attitude. I just don't get how people can treat animals, living feeling beings, as though they were throwaways. Where does this thought process even come from? How do I properly deal with people like that? All I see is red.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I'm in 2 minds about that kind of situation, it greatly depends on the circumstances.

I can see the anger, why 'rescue' an animal just to pawn it off to someone else because it's not going the way you want? Animals are unpredictable, they hardly ever do what you want ;)

Saying that, it may just be that this boy is too proud to confess that actually he's frightened of the animal (after all an iggy can do a fair amount of damage if it wished). If you're so frightened of the animal that cleaning out, feeding and other maintenance becomes dangerous and a chore, the animal would be better off being with someone else that will hopefully keep him for life (and correctly!).

I do get annoyed when people say that they, or their children, have gotten bored with said animal though. If you were sensible you should have done the research to find out what they're like in the first place.

I think, at the end of the day, some people just see them as possessions that they can get rid of when they wish. That's their right I guess... However I would rather the animals be rehomed to good owners then stay with people that don't care about them and probably let their care suffer as a result.

Personally, I would sell all my clothes before I would get rid of my animals! I would only consider rehoming if I knew I could no longer take care of them properly for whatever reason, but that would be for their benefit.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
this is how i started keeping lizards someone did not want a leopard geckos as it bit him , so i took him he has also bitten me but i wont part with him he then want shot of his bearded dragon so i took that as well in between i had bought a bearded dragon as well since then i have added more to my collection as you can see in my sig

i will never part with them even though i am unemployed at the time being and am trying to survive on dole money
i am at present sitting in the cold (no money for heating) and have over the last few months gone to bed hungry due to the cost of keeping my animals fed and warm

i think there is no real excuse to get rid of a animal just because you dont like it or the things they do

all mine are here till either i die or they do(hopefully by old age )

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
I think the key word amongst this is ' kid '. Yes the 'kid' may be wrong but I think if it is genuinely a kid, the anger is misplaced. What sort of idiot gives a kid a problem iggy to take responsibility of ? What kind of parent allows a kid to bring home a problem or for that matter a healthy iggy unless they are sharing the responsability and providingan appropriate level of supervision. I dont like saying this but there is also a bit of a cultural difference with some ( not all) USA keepers. Reptiles arent given the same love and respect many of us bestow on our pets, they are more of a, living toy. You only have to watch you tube to find numerous examples of this. Dont get me wrong, there are many superb caring keepers over there. Its just the numbers game....they have a percentage of idiots just kike us. However for every 1 of ours they probably have 10 but the percentages will probably be fairly similar.

Im afraid getting angry at the kid is just going to stress you but do little to change the situation. Hopefully someone closer to him will help sort things. Its hard but sometimes you just have to step away from these situations. Sorry for typos and garble,, posting via phone while trying to get my caffiene levels up....my brain is even more addled when my levels are low.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
^ thats what i was thinking, if this kid is actually a child then he should never have been given it to 'rescue'. If its an adult then fair play he should have known better and you should never give up on a rescue anyway destroys the system that, worst bit for me is the fact he wants to let it go, child or not he must know the state florida is in due to 'setting it free' (and a hurricane amongst other things).

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Easy to say but don't get angry, all as it will do is make you angrier.

He's a kid, they don't always listen no matter how good the help, horses to water etc

Has he exceed his capabilities, didn't know what he was taking on, won't ask for help (afterall he's a kid)

Poo happens, if we get angry every time it does, it consumes us

All the above easy for me to say, maybe i should try listening to myself sometimes :gasp:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I tend to think of people I feel are younger than me as kids. Terrible habit. He made no mention of his age but also made no mention of parents, I assume he is a young man probably early 20s which makes me at least 10 years older.

Saying that, it may just be that this boy is too proud to confess that actually he's frightened of the animal
This helps. I'm afraid I have a difficult time getting around the face value of things to see what may be underneath, a personal failing. I can understand wanting to relinquish it if he was afraid. As I understand it his is a little over a year old. Not big, but not small either.

All the above easy for me to say, maybe i should try listening to myself sometimes :gasp:
hehe, I think many struggle with that one, no worries.

Thanks everyone I really needed that :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Before I write this I want to stress that this rant is just my opinion I'm not calling anyone a bad person :)

I admit I let him have it, not quite with both barrels, but I shouldn't have lost my temper.
This is the problem with alot if people in the hobby at the moment too keen to kick off and let people have it before thinking about the animals welfare

You said he rescued the iggy this can only be a good thing. It's an iggy not a dog it's not going to care which person is feeding him so instead of thinking you have some right to decide whats right or wrong about another persons life or decision you would get far more good done by either

1: keeping out of it unless you're interested in helping.
Or
2: Not giving him your ruthless opinion which risks making him turn away from "help"

People seem to be too much like the RSPCA lately : more concerned with shining a light on people in the wrong instead of focusing attention on the animal that needs help.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts