Reptile Forums banner

silk and calci worms for leos?

2K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  imitebmike 
#1 ·
Have been looking into getting some silk and calci worms for the leos, I've emailed the owner of the website I have been looking at asking about suitability, gut loading etc. Just wondered if anyone here had experience of using them and whether they would recommend them?

#2 ·
I only feed my geckos crickets locusts and occsionally mealworms. I wouldnt feed them silk or calcium worms.

#3 ·
any reason why you say you would'nt? is it just personal preference? From what i've been researching they seem to be better nutritionally than mealies etc particularly the silk worms but i'm very interested in other opinions/experiences. Atm they do get mealies, crix, locust and occaisional wax worm moths. Just looking into other things to give as much variety as poss.

#4 ·
I dont have any experience with them, but Id like to know how you get on with them!
Surely you could try some, see if they like them, its trial and error at the end of the day isnt it? and its all live food going into our leos tummies :)

#6 ·
ahh thank you, I tried hard with her but I couldnt get her into a vet soon enough, I shouldve sent a faeces sample off earlier really, but ive only had them just over 2 weeks plus im quite new to this, bad things happen i guess!, but my other 2 are growing lovely :)

Good luck with the worms if you do buy them!, i might look into them too because my leos wont touch mealies and like waxies too much so i need a middle type which isnt as addictive and fattening ;)

: victory:

#7 ·
well from what i've read they sound good- high protein but much less chitin than mealies and low fat. this site does them in small medium and large too.

#9 ·
:eek: whats this site youre looking at getting them from? I found them on ebay but only in medium and large, thinking I might treat my leos to some seeming as they love waxworms :p

#11 ·
I ordered some calci and silk worms in small quantity :eek: hope my little growing leos will like them!, wow theyre much better nutritionally than waxies! good luck to you too sheena if you buy some!:2thumb:

#14 ·
thats great thanks everyone. Off to place an order now :2thumb:

#16 ·
Ill write back on here if my 2 like them :)
but I've only got 2 leos so im sure sheena will be able to give more of an idea of how the leos take to them :)

Reactions: imitebmike
#21 ·
:lol2: the rains making the grubs come up on the lawn here so the blackbirds are in their element...maybe i should throw some of my waxworms I dont really want anymore, and the birds will get so fat they wont be able to get off the ground!:gasp:

#27 ·
:lol2::lol2:

#31 ·
i'm not keen on crix for the simple fact they get EVERYWHERE! no matter how much you think you have blocked all escape routes they seem to get out. You're sitting watching telly of a night and you see one making a dash across the carpet or taunting you by cheeping away from the curtains.

#33 ·
ordered silk worms, calci worms and some dubia. Could only seem to get the calci worms in 500's though so they had better eat them! should'nt be too much of a prob though, most of ours are pigs who eat anything. Its like watching sharks at feeding time :lol2:

#35 ·
No they love eating the roaches, just find them hard to get hold of as the mrs is'nt keen on breeding them (they creep her out apparently) she hates the waxie moths too but will happily stick her hand in a rub full of locust to get them out:hmm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.