Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Sorry may be in the wrong section.
I have just had a clutch of 5 corns hatch out (2 days ago), they are all normals from 2 seemingly normal corns. However they have all come out of the incubator looking like they are about to shed (which I didn't think was possible) and whats even weirder is they all feel like a 'silk scarf' no other way of explaining it.
Any ideas?
Is this normal?

None of my others have come out like that!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hey,
Sorry may be in the wrong section.
I have just had a clutch of 5 corns hatch out (2 days ago), they are all normals from 2 seemingly normal corns. However they have all come out of the incubator looking like they are about to shed (which I didn't think was possible) and whats even weirder is they all feel like a 'silk scarf' no other way of explaining it.
Any ideas?
Is this normal?

None of my others have come out like that!
Have you got any pictures?

Gemma

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mine feel weird when ready to shed but i dont know, Pics would be best :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah a good close up pic would help us....last time i went to hamm i saw some scaleless corns which felt exactly as youve just described...looked really weird ;-).....heres a pic ;-)

·
Registered
845 Posts

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Wow.. that looks so weird but awesome. It's not cruel if they don't have scales.. is it?
No, it's not cruel - they have *skin*, they just don't have scales (which are the equivalent of hair or feathers, by the way - and made of the same stuff).

Dunno, but i dont think they'd do well in the wild, the skin is very soft & i would have thought easily damaged.
There have been wild-caught adult scaleless snakes - Texas rats for example - so it obviously doesn't hinder them THAT much.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There have been wild-caught adult scaleless snakes - Texas rats for example - so it obviously doesn't hinder them THAT much.
I didnt say they wernt found in the wild did i !...Albino's have been found in the wild too, but they dont survive well because they stand out (just 1 reason)

My point was that there's obviously an advantage to having scales otherwise more scaleless snakes would be found in the wild.

I know youve had run-ins with me before & dont like me (the feelings mutual) So the least you could do is not try to bait me by being sarky...and ill do the same for you:flrt:

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
No sarcasm intended, TRMm - just pointing out that there have been wild caught adults, and that therefore it does not appear to stop an individual surviving to adulthood.

They are likely uncommon because the known gene(s?) for scalelessness appears to be recessive in snakes, and after the initial mutation, it'd take the scaleless animal surviving to breed, producing hets that survive, and those hets breeding with each other to produce (on average) a quarter scaleless offspring - and then counting on them (or their possible-het siblings) to survive and also breed. Any recessive trait is going to have to be superior to its dominant counterpart in order to spread throughout a population significantly; if it isn't, the dominant trait is just plain easier to reproduce since you don't need homozygosity for it to display.

As far as it goes, you're a faceless stranger on the internet; I neither like nor dislike you because I simply don't know you well enough to care either way. TBH, hadn't even been aware we'd had "run-ins" before because I tend to read posts and respond to post text rather than look at user names and respond to users.

·
Registered
614 Posts
No sarcasm intended, TRMm - just pointing out that there have been wild caught adults, and that therefore it does not appear to stop an individual surviving to adulthood.

They are likely uncommon because the known gene(s?) for scalelessness appears to be recessive in snakes, and after the initial mutation, it'd take the scaleless animal surviving to breed, producing hets that survive, and those hets breeding with each other to produce (on average) a quarter scaleless offspring - and then counting on them (or their possible-het siblings) to survive and also breed. Any recessive trait is going to have to be superior to its dominant counterpart in order to spread throughout a population significantly; if it isn't, the dominant trait is just plain easier to reproduce since you don't need homozygosity for it to display.

As far as it goes, you're a faceless stranger on the internet; I neither like nor dislike you because I simply don't know you well enough to care either way. TBH, hadn't even been aware we'd had "run-ins" before because I tend to read posts and respond to post text rather than look at user names and respond to users.

Im not going to continue this because i know if i do the little digs you make every now and then will increase..... i guess now your a mod the best thing to do is play innocent...as i said....please dont bait me like you and your little clan of followers used too & i'll allow you the same respect.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
However they have all come out of the incubator looking like they are about to shed (which I didn't think was possible) and whats even weirder is they all feel like a 'silk scarf' no other way of explaining it.
Any ideas?
Is this normal?
I would also be very interested to see good "macro" photos of these guys... it'd be brilliant if you've actually recovered a scaleless trait in PURE corn snakes, seeing as the currently marketed scaleless "corns" are in fact Rootbeer / Creamsicle ratsnakes (they're corn / Great Plains Rat crosses).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will try and get some pics up later but they dont look any different scale wise I know for a fact they are not scaleless as I have seen pics of them. They have scales but feel like silk but have only just hatched so will be a week before they shed!?

Don't worry, The real M... I didn't read any of that lol see it was an argument starting so just flicked through till it got back to the thread lol.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Will try and get some pics up later but they dont look any different scale wise I know for a fact they are not scaleless as I have seen pics of them. They have scales but feel like silk but have only just hatched so will be a week before they shed!?
Wot ??...scales ??
...oh well...you gotta post a pic now anyway..i presume we'll have to wait a week ?...lol

Don't worry, The real M... I didn't read any of that lol see it was an argument starting so just flicked through till it got back to the thread lol.
No worries mate...im used to it by now, been on & off this site a few times & its usually the same motley crew that want to have a pop because they know its like holding a red rag out to me:lol2:
But i do feel guilty because its your thread & im party to the childish bickering...so sorry about that mate.: victory:

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Oddly enough, my second-clutch babies hatched out looking "ready to shed" but didn't feel any different to normal. It'd still be interesting - I know there's been a "Microscaled" variant discovered in Europe recently, too....

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey took a while but here's some pics, like I said though I wouldn't say they look diff it how they feel. Its only a 10.2MP digi cam so pics not great.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
I would also be very interested to see good "macro" photos of these guys... it'd be brilliant if you've actually recovered a scaleless trait in PURE corn snakes, seeing as the currently marketed scaleless "corns" are in fact Rootbeer / Creamsicle ratsnakes (they're corn / Great Plains Rat crosses).
I didnt know this!

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Hey took a while but here's some pics, like I said though I wouldn't say they look diff it how they feel. Its only a 10.2MP digi cam so pics not great.

Look perfectly normal to me, I've seen some corns shed only a couple of days after hatching.

P.S. 10.2 MP digital camera is plenty enough, you just need to get the pics in focus better and under better light :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK will try to take a better photo.

Exactly they look perfectly norm but feel weird, none of my others have though and over last 2/3 months I've had 118 hatch out

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.