Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i keep my 2 breeding adult leopard geckos on sand but its reptile sand not calci-sand or play sand.i have never had any problems with my geckos and i have been keeping them years.iv got 2 juvies at the min too but they are on floor tiles in their viv as there a bit messy and its easy clean. :D

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've a golden gecko on newspaper at the mo, and its not very pleasing to the eye. I'm just asking if anyone has the experience, would it work etc, cos i think i would have probs with the sand absorbing too much moisture through the humidity - would this cause a possible impaction hazard? i don't know if the sand would clump together or not, that is why i'm asking. Also would it cause problems with her eyes (no eyelids), or her feet (pads)???????

this is why i'm asking if anyones had experience.

I like the look of sand, but the reps must come first!

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Both my golden gecko vivs just have kitchen roll on the bottom. I dont think Id like to try sand due to the high humidy and the sand either clumping together or sticking the the geckos like you said with them having no eye lids.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alsynthe said:
leopard geckos arent a desert species are they? i thought they lives in rocky areas.
dunno! desertish species?? never had leo's so dont know much about em :?

i think i'll stick with the paper - she's stuck to the wall most of the time anyway! :)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
leos are from pakistan so rocky desert areas of corse coverd with sand.loads of people say they aint from desert areas but if they read the leopard gecko manuel it says it in there. :roll:

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nuttyaboutgeckos said:
leos are from pakistan so rocky desert areas of corse coverd with sand.loads of people say they aint from desert areas but if they read the leopard gecko manuel it says it in there. :roll:
lol thanks! i knew i'd read it somewhere! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts