Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got silver sand today for beardie viv all white sand like snow lol sets there colour off its very fine sand and clean
any one try it :mf_dribble:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
i try and stay away from ANYTHING that my reptiles can consume unless its needed, impaction is never going to be dealt with unless reptile shops STOP selling this stuff..

sorry to moan, but its terrible..
how old is the BD?..

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You talk about impaction, my beardie has always been housed on crushed walnuts and he is perfectly fine.

As for the sand, good choice light/dark colours always set of the colours of your reps, and im planning on either getting red, black, blue, or white sand for once i rehouse my beardie

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
sounds lovely:mf_dribble: where did you get it from?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
i mention due to the fact i had some lovely reptiles that have died from it..

its not a dig.. but myself the 1st time thought.. " must be a fluck".. but the 2nd/ 3rd time told me enough was enough..
its just my thoughts, and as a breeder id like to think im only offering support and advice though situations ive had myself.
Tom

·
Registered
397 Posts
got silver sand today for beardie viv all white sand like snow lol sets there colour off its very fine sand and clean
any one try it :mf_dribble:
pics? :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got it from builders merchant its used for play sand its very fine
and i know about impaction issues
your call it silver sand

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont know how to put pics on lol ive tried before and they never load ?:censor:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
please dont think im being rude or harsh.. its just when you lose X2 blood red bearded dragons that you paid alot for, and then one dies, and you dont have a pair its rather gutting, and then lose 2 very nice leo's that you plan to use, it kinda makes me worry..
i only ever say things as a warning, and not to dig, i could be wrong in the fact that nothing ever happens, but i was alike, and my risks were repayed with a lose of reptiles..

3 is not alot from the collection i have, but its not nice either way..

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I understand your worry, and i am sorry for the reps you lost through to impaction but it did seem like you was digging at the person choice of substrate, i would advise them to be careful with using it, but not to label it so that it most probably cause impaction because it doesnt always happen.

again i am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Silver sand is the finest grade of sand you can buy, it is the same stuff used in childrens play sand, is also used in building, depending on where you got it from it may have contaminents in it, even though it is the finest grade you can by to my knowlege, the risk of impaction is still there, however small, much depends on the reptile being kept and the age of the reptile. I my self have first hand experience of losing a leo due to impaction. Thus will not be keeping my beardies on sand when they are adults, but do what hades Dragons recommends and thats broken up sand stone with sand in the cracks so they can dig a little but limits the surface area for getting a mouth full.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
i use slate tiles but with a sand pit, so that my bearide can still dig, but the sand comes no where near his food, i think this is a good way of giving them sand but without impaction risks. just a small cardboard box filled with playsand, that he sleeps in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tomsdragons definatly has a good point there but its just probably that a vast majority of desert lizard keepers do tend to use sand. I keep my beardie on crushed walnut shells/calci sand and my geckos on calci sand and I can't say I've ever had a problem with this but my garter snake ended up cutting his mouth on a wood chipping (somehow) and it got really badly infected and unfortunatly he was too old to fight off the infection and despite endless vet trips and lots of money spent on medicine he passed away (he was nearly 18!) and it becomes more of a mistrust of substrate and now I prefer aspen bedding.

·
Registered
736 Posts
sand

i would not recomend it but u live and learn, unfortunatley ur bds may not! some people are lucky ....:whistling2:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
silver sand usualy contains silca a kind of silicon. its used in the building trade on driveways ie brushed into the joints between sets the the sets are vibrated to compact the sand brushed in again etc etc etc untill the joint becomes full and the set then shoudn;t move. As 4 substate i'd question it even though it comes in diffrent colours/shades cause of the silca content

1 - 18 of 18 Posts