Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls,

I posted yesterday with some concern about my Singapore. Today I made some changes to her enclosure. I took her out, added more substrate, its now sloping from 5 inches to about 3 at the other end of the tank. Put another plant in, and re arranged her cork bark tube.

The temperature is a good 75-80 degrees but iam struggling with humidity. I mist every other day but it seems to be falling all the time.

The tank has a vented roof like an Exo, should i put something over this to up the humidity?

Should i soak the substrate? I have avoided this previously but I just want the best habitat for her!! My Sun tiger thrives in similar conditions.

Any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
a lot of people recommend to bump up the humidity you soak the bottom couple of inches with water and then add the rest of the substrate on top, so the top 3-4 inches are dry as bone and the bottom 2 are soaked through, this way when it heats up the moisture will rise

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Exos are a bit crap for keeping humidity. You could get a piece of glass or perspex cut to cover half the mesh, or in the meantime just cut a piece of cardboard to size and wrap it in cling film.

I wouldn't actually soak the substrate, but you can have it quite damp, and also provide a large open water dish. Both these measures will help :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pickle,

I do have a large open water dish already, Do you think pouring water directly onto the sub is the best way? or to spray it?

I will try covering half of the mesh up at the top of the tank then.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Pickle,

I do have a large open water dish already, Do you think pouring water directly onto the sub is the best way? or to spray it?

I will try covering half of the mesh up at the top of the tank then.
how is the tank heated Martin? is there a mat, and if so, where is it?

I would get the sub nice and damp by pouring a pint or so of water in there and mixing it all up. Some tank custodians like woodlice and/or springtails would also be a good addition in this instance, as they will prevent any mould taking hold as a result of the increased humidity.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
how is the tank heated Martin? is there a mat, and if so, where is it?

I would get the sub nice and damp by pouring a pint or so of water in there and mixing it all up. Some tank custodians like woodlice and/or springtails would also be a good addition in this instance, as they will prevent any mould taking hold as a result of the increased humidity.
i've never used woodlice or springtails, do the spiders not try eating them?

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Hi Martin
There are a number of things you need to take into account here. Soaking wet substrate can do more harm than good to your spiders and without adequate ventilation you'll soon experience fungus and moulds. Tarantula are very adaptable and although caresheets may suggest high humidity there's a huge tolerance here, they're far more adaptable than reptiles etc.
Cover your lid as Lisa suggests, use moisture retaining substrate (coir, sand, vermiculite and plenty of sphagnum moss), wide water dish and weekly spray.
L. violaceopes prefer large enclosures and your Exo will be great for this, albeit with slight modifications.
Attaining the perfect environment, humidity and temperatures are really only necessary for breeding purposes, but obviously there's no harm in striving to achieve these.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
singpore

Hey, ive an adult singapore female thats housed in an 12x12x18 exo, I have the top grill covered almost completley- only a 1 inch section at the end furthest from her hide is open to allow an airflow. (Same set up for all my poecilotheria)
I mist her tank a few times a week, repeating once it becomes dry, she always ate and seemed happy with this.
Temps of 20 at night and up to 26 degs during the day.

incase it helps

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
i've never used woodlice or springtails, do the spiders not try eating them?
springtails are about 1-2mm :lol2: so the spids won't even notice those. They might eat a woodlouse now and then but it won't harm them. I have woodlice and springtails in my T. blondi tank and despite it being really warm and damp in there, there's no mould at all.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
springtails are about 1-2mm :lol2: so the spids won't even notice those. They might eat a woodlouse now and then but it won't harm them. I have woodlice and springtails in my T. blondi tank and despite it being really warm and damp in there, there's no mould at all.
top stuff

perfect info for when i get my blondi, currently only have T's that are desert species so it's alright for now

will invest in some when the time arises though ;)

cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right,

I have poured a pint- 2 pints of water onto the substrate (which is a mix of vermiculite and coir) Like i said it slopes down in depth from one end to the other. It is heated via a heatpad on the side of the tank not the bottom. I have covered just over half of the ventilated lid with black tape, quit a good idea i think, and keeps the black look of the tank. lol

I have afull bag of sphagnum m moss, but have not used any of it, where do i put it?? On the ground?

Again, many thanks for your wise ideas

Martin

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What are you using to measure the humidity? If its those round ones that you stick on the side i found them to next to useless! And the moss just spread it around a bit so it looks good, i just used some braid to wrap some moss around one of those jungle vines for my expected P. formosa's.

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
2 pints of water! my god, its not a frog!
be careful with the quantity of water you provide, these live high up in tree crevices not on lilly pads!
place the sphagnum moss all over the substrate, especially around the hide, your L. v will use this inside the hide too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Poxi,

Yeah had a bit of a balls up with the water, slightly over indulged!! One end was like a bloody swamp!! Just waiting for it to dry out now. What a nob!

Have coverd all but about 2 inches of the roof vent up now.

Whats the best way of measuring humidity? I take it the round guages are not the best?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I found those round ones to be wildly inaccurate and each one in the shop where all saying something different. The Exo Terra digital ones are much better, if you look on ebay you should pick one up fairly cheaply

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks danny,

After all that effort i made getting the humidity up the damn thing still reads just over 40

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
those dial ones are crap! I just checked the humidity of my house with the digital one I have, and even that's almost 50%.
I'm sure your SB's enclosure is much more humid than that :lol2:

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Poxi,

Yeah had a bit of a balls up with the water, slightly over indulged!! One end was like a bloody swamp!! Just waiting for it to dry out now. What a nob!

Have coverd all but about 2 inches of the roof vent up now.
I'd remove the covers and let it dry out a bit tbh, it doesnt have to be dry but swamp like conditions will not do it good. I don't let me substrate dry out but because both my enclosures are well contained the moisture remains for about a month. As has been suggested the springtails and woodlice will help reduce any unwanted guests.
To help stimulate dropping the a sac you'll need to condition it with wet and dry months, just wish my gravid female would actually follow this theory!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
excellent advice as always people!!

The enclosure is starting to dry out a bit after my slight mishap

Hopefully she begins to perk up and start feeding, time to buy a decent digital meter.

You think its ok that all but about 2 inches of the roof vent are covered up?

I have put lots of moss on the substrate and up her cork bark tube

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
My enclosures are front vertical sliding panel openings. One is made from perspex and has holes drilled on top and down the side, perhaps 20 each side the width of a screw. The other enclosure is made from glass and only has a round vent at the rear. So covering your Exo up wouldn't be an issue, especially considering there's possible ventilation at the back and front panel.
Perhaps you could get some pix of your L. v and the enclosure?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts