Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
if you arent aware, pets at home do 50s for £10, and as they were expecting a new order in today, i just got one box of 50 for £6.
now as i had a lot of my previous small boxes die, whats the best way to keep them. I have an 8 inch by 6 inch spider viv, with all of them in (believe me getting them from box to box was fun, a number of them went straight to spike, as they attempted to escape) i have chopped up, some carrot, pepper, cabbage, and brussel sprout and some calcium and cricket feed. I also put some moist toilet paper in with them and some of the corregated card board. is there anything missing or even too much in the spider viv.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The locusts normally do well at room temp (I think they need to be warmer rather than cooler), I have mine on top of the beardie tanks in a see through plastic box with a plastic mesh type roof so they can hang there when they need to shed.

I feed them rockey and carrot and anything veg wise thats in the fridge, I never have any die unless the beardies or bosc gets them:lol2:

·
Registered
623 Posts
are they difficult to keep
Shes not bad, she occasionally likes to have a chomp on my had but she's only young so i let her off lol

They're not a begginers reptile and they grow pretty big, but its the same with anything, providing you do lots and lots of research and you can provide for them then its fairly easy.

You do need to spend time taming them though, they are not friendly straight away like beardies.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yeah, its the same with anything reptile wise, its always contradicting.

I can just tell you my own experiance, they are better off on leafy things rather than solid things like carrot but they will eat anything.

I've never misted them and never had any problems.

Just experiment and see what works for you.

Good Luck.

EDIT: (Sorry I thought we were talking about the Locusts)

I think you are better off looking at both bits of info and picking one, I had to do that a few times and its never caused a problem BUT this is always backed up by either speaking to someone experianced or speaking to a vet ect.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
well i just thought about the fact they are moist, so the locust is getting some moisture. but if you guys suggest not to, then i will remove them
I'm not saying not to. I'm asking if it's true because I'd love to use peppers I've always got them in my fridge.

·
Registered
636 Posts
feeding hoppers

ive heard the same about cabbage and sprouts something to do with binding and calcium?and don't they like light not dark?god only nows like you saed conflicting info is the www a good or bad thing?????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
ive heard the same about cabbage and sprouts something to do with binding and calcium?and don't they like light not dark?god only nows like you saed conflicting info is the www a good or bad thing?????????????????????????
they do much better in a light warm place lol,
cabbage is fine for them to eat

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
advice

well i am taking advice from 2 sources, You guys on RFUK and my local pet supply store swallows who have never thrown us a curve ball yet, and we have been using them for 2 years already for our fish supplies

·
Registered
623 Posts
well i am taking advice from 2 sources, You guys on RFUK and my local pet supply store swallows who have never thrown us a curve ball yet, and we have been using them for 2 years already for our fish supplies
May be google locust habitats to answer the question of storage, im pretty sure the pet shop is wrong about keeping them in the dark and in a cool place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks

mate just did as you suggested, and you're right. but the rest of their habitiat is perfect, just keep feeding them moist goodies, such as potatoes, (surprised me too) lettuce, cabbage, brussels (no wonder Spikes viv stinks when he's pooped) i wont give them anymore pepper until someone confirms whether its a good idea or not.
I find the locusts as fascinating as the Beardie they are meant for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.