Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as i have just built a 4ft by 3ft by 3ft tank for a royal python. Many people say the get stressed by large spaces but if my tank is full of branches and hides surely this wouldnt be a problem.... wud it?????????

In the wild they must have bigger space...................... also the main reason for having a big tank was because i want to breed them later on and thought the tank wud be sufficient for 2 royals to breed in

Any thoughts?????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
How big is the royal? If eally young you may want to consider putting a tub in the viv for a little while but otherwise should be fine...
Ben

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i only ever use 3x2x2 for my adult royals
imo 4x3x3 would be to big and could cause stress

·
Registered
480 Posts
My royals pretty big and she's still in a tub. I found she does much better in small enclosures, but if yours will eat etc in a big viv then I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
All depends on your royal.

I've got royals that will wonder around a huge room, i'll offer a rodent, and they'll sit on the floor of the room munching on the food, and swallow it down. If your royal will be in a large tank, it's large regardless i'd say. Just be wary, that not all royals are this forgiving, and a lot do like small vivariums. Hope all goes well. I think it'll work best if you put lots of hides/fake plants etc.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
All depends on the individual snake, as a general rule they are prone to stress from open spaces but it doesn't aplly to all.

The same is said for corns, but I have one who doesn't care and went into a 3 foot viv before she was 18 inches, and a very easily stressed that's still in a perfecto starter viv even though she's just over 2 foot.

·
Registered
934 Posts
put it in the viv............
its not to big at all, imagine the royal being in the wild how big is that then? it still eats fine when its hungry
ur viv size will not be to big for it

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
I agree with Royalpython and Claire_e_dodd depends on the royal, my Royal is in a four foot viv and seems fine, eating well shedding well,hope all goes well for you :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
4ftx3ftx3ft? Ive got breeding female boas in smaller than that!:lol2:

I use 50lt RUBs for adult royals and they seem to do better ;)

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
I would say it depends on the snake itself. MOST royals will get stressed in that sized viv, and refuse to eat etc. Some will not get stressed as much, and i think you know if your snake would or wouldnt not get stressed.
I think both my pythons would get stressed in a big viv.
1.0 PRB would get slightly stressed in a big viv but would get used to it and still eat.
and 0.1 would hide away for abit, not that stressed and eat like a pig as usually, you know your snake when you get one :D

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
I would say it depends on the snake itself. MOST royals will get stressed in that sized viv, and refuse to eat etc. Some will not get stressed as much, and i think you know if your snake would or wouldnt not get stressed.
I think both my pythons would get stressed in a big viv.
1.0 PRB would get slightly stressed in a big viv but would get used to it and still eat.
and 0.1 would hide away for abit, not that stressed and eat like a pig as usually, you know your snake when you get one :D

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
posted 3 times :S Mod delete this and the 2nd one please :D Thanks​

1 - 14 of 14 Posts