Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been reading a bit about ball pythons a freind of mine has been offerd a 2yr old and was told that genrally most of the time they will curl up .ive been doing some reading up and some places say thats only when threatend.

my main question what size tank do most people who own ball pythons keep there adults in

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Best kept in a fairly small viv - mines about 3ft long and is currently in a 33"x18"x15".
For an average size adult female a 36"x24"x18" would be ok, something a bit smaller if its a male.

They do spend most of the day curled up in a hide, but mines pretty active once it's dark.
If you friend wants a snake thats going to be active during the day then a ball/royal wouldn't really be the best option.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
have to agree with the size of viv's 3' is ok
i have 2 royals and are both in 3' vivs just make sure you got plenty of hiding places for them.

and before any1 posts about the lights they are there for cleaning out and viv checks

·
Registered
324 Posts
It is recomended they stay in smaller tanks as opposed to other snakes their size. They are nervous in large spaces, you can have a four foot tank yeah but have tons of hides. i kept mine in 36"x24"x18 and had a fair few hides, never had a problem. apart from the odd feeding difficulty, which is normal for a royal.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
true but both mine are over 3 an half foot now so are very happy in there new homes.

just need to get a nice branch for bottom viv now seams as she has taken a liking to climbing

·
Registered
370 Posts
We have 1 male Royal Pyhton and he's in 3 ft viv. From talking to people and reading on here etc i thinks its a good size. Royals dont like wide open spaces, they feel vulnerable, so as long as you hides in the cool end and hot end they should be fine in a 3ft maybe slightly larger depending on adult size :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
My Gorgous Royal (Jumanji) Is kept in a 4ft viv. Which can be too large for her, But I cant say she "seems" to be enjoying it, But she hasnt refused any feeds or anythign, So all is good. Probably best to stick with 3ft. But my Female is heading on to 4 and a half feet (Slightly more then minimum average) Here's my Set up.

The Size of them together.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Mine older royal is in a tub....:lol: One of those 50L really useful boxes, because he doesnt like vivs for some reason... :? :lol:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Mine is about 3 1/2 foot at the moment and is happily living in a 3 foot viv.

As soon as she grows a bit I intend to place her in a 3 ' x 2 ' viv, just to be wider and give her more room. That will help me provide her with more decoration and hiding areas, at the mo it's a bit plain for my liking :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts