Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i have all the lighting now.

a 10.0 uvb bulb 30" long, and a 60W spot bulb,

now just for the viv itself, am going to make it out of MDF.

i was wandering, i am making it 48" long x 20" tall x 20" wide

do these dimensions seem ok?

thanks,

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Could do with the extra 6'' tbh, you're looking at a 20''+ lizard. Do you have a thermostat?
Make sure you seal the mdf with yacht varnish, mdf contains glue that is toxic. If it gets wet and your skink manages to ingest some glue it could be bye bye skink time.
Why not use melamine faced chipboard? Not really expensive and saves you having to seal it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could do with the extra 6'' tbh, you're looking at a 20''+ lizard. Do you have a thermostat?
Make sure you seal the mdf with yacht varnish, mdf contains glue that is toxic. If it gets wet and your skink manages to ingest some glue it could be bye bye skink time.
Why not use melamine faced chipboard? Not really expensive and saves you having to seal it.
cool, thanks! :) will get some on ebay now.

well i havent got a thermostat yet, as the viv isnt built yet and i dont have the lizard yet.
got everything else though lighting wise,

thermostat will be the last thing i get before i get my bluey.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh and btw, am looking at getting the smaller 'tiliquas gigas'..

not the much bigger sub species:gasp:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Gigas can still be quite big. They are more slender though and tend to have longer, thinner tails. I've got an IJ which hasn't got a latin name yet but he's 20" long and he wouldn't be happy in anything less than a 4' viv.
Good luck with skinky though, mine is just chilling out on some corkbark and looking at his bowl of veg in disgust

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, just went to see how much the wood is going to cost.

they come in sheets of 4ft by 2ft,

will cost me around £35 so not that bad.

so am now going to do

4ft X 2ft X 2ft :D

yey!

then just for the glass :O

yours sounds so cool, will have to see what baby i can get hold of, the're seeming a bit rare atm :(

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Where are you based? I know of some up here. If you wanted to save pennies just make the viv 18'' high, less wood, less glass and it would be easier to heat.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we're down in cornwall lol. in hayle specifically.

and dont have any transport. we take buses everywhere! :D:blush:

but i can pay extra for a courier of some sort, so thats another option,
just want a baby, so i can get used to him/her, and it can get used to me easier. so we can have a nice tame-ish skink :)

the wood idea, would be cool. will have a think about it. As the sheets are coming like this, it would be a hell of a lot easier to just put it together. lol.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Can't Scales and Tails get you any babies? There are loads of shops in Cornwall, surely someone can get hold of them?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i havent asked them yet, but will pay them a visit soonish.

i have now build the viv, just glass to go, and ofcourse the silicone and varnish. :)

will post pics in other section when i can upload them

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
scales and tails in cornwall is no more :O

so will have to go goonhavern(sp?) or something of a similar name...

:bash:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts