Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Reptile lovers,

Ever since I got my two leopard geckos about 2 years ago, I've been using newspaper and paper towels as substrate for them both,

But now I'm getting more money coming in, I want to start making my geckos vivs look the best they possible can, Obviously I want to put my Geckos health first, so it brings me to the point of this post aha

The heat temp as always been spot on for the leos when using paper, but is it harder to keep the heat with tiles? because they are thicker, or are they better at storing the heat?

In simple terms, would it be okay for me to switch to tile flooring and the heat will still be spot on?
Or is it recommended to keep them on paper towels and newspaper?

Sorry is all this sounds confusing aha
thanks in advance guys. :)

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
ceramic and natural stone tiles actually work better, because they hold more heat, and release it more slowly, so even on an on/off stat you can maintain a much more stable temp; and some natural stone can increase the ambient temps a little bit aswell

I am using a natural stone tile, with a heat mat mounted underneath (on/off (not reptile) thermostat probe inbetween tile and mat), for my (very small) dwarf boa , it holds the temp at around 0.4C below the temp of the heat mat at the bottom, and it increases the ambient temps on the warm end by about 2C (something which is impossible to achieve with a heat mat, usually)

it is very important that you set it up correctly tho, heat mat > thermostat probe > ceramic tile > thermometer probe

ceramic can hold a huge amount of heat, so its important you don't let it get hotter than you need - and you still want an air gap under the mat, I raise mine up a few cm with wood (this also helps avoid potential water spils on the mat)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thankyou for the advice :)

I'll be honest, I've never used a stat because the levels from the mat and paper have always been stable and perfect,

so I'd need to buy a stat in order to use tiles?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.