1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just want to ask you if it is normal for torts
to sleep for hours and hours? I mean when he's awake
he is very active but then he goes in his dark box and stays
in there for maybe 15hrs? Is this normal? > :-| < A little worried here.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
whot tortoise do you have. My hermanns babys dont sleep this long. Can you give more info? It would help to know whot you feed it. And whot its housed in. Also How often do you bath it. Once we know all the facts im shore somone will be able to hellp:smile:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sounds fine to me-mine go to sleep at about 8pm and dont get up till 10amish plus naps throught the day!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi leggy, I was told he is a spurthighed, not knowing much about
tortoises though im not sure what breed he is. Maybe you could let me know.
Anyway i feed him on romaine lettice, and some tortoise crispy crunch mix
that i bought from Tortoise health, This is a mixture of all dried flowers
that we cant get a hold of during the winter season. I bath him every other day for 10 mins at a time in warm water.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks kerrypudge, That makes me feel better
knowing that yours sleep that long also, i thought there
was something wrong with him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, my hermann is a pritty sleepy animal he likes to sleep alot too, normaly after eating.

My cat on the other hand will quite happily sleep 23 hours a day if you let her. haha

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hi you'r setup looks good:smile: I don't know much about the spurthighed but he looks great so would say this is just the way he is. My torts are nown to be up before me and are active all day.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
**Hi you'r setup looks good:smile: I don't know much about the spurthighed but he looks great so would say this is just the way he is. My torts are nown to be up before me and are active all day.**

Mine too - I think if you don't overfeed them they tend to be more active while on a food mission ;) Mine are up at around 8am and still buzzing around in the afternoon, usually going back to bed around 4pm this time of year

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks leggy. after some good advice i got on this
forum i made him that setup. He was originally in a viv, but now
he's so much happier in his new home.

Oh i c wizzasmum, So once we feed them they dont want to know us?
hehe, :roll: Guess i better starve him for attention then.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I also wouldnt reccomend feeding dried flowers either-there are plenty of fresh flowers and weeds around or you could grow your own!

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
**I also wouldnt reccomend feeding dried flowers either-there are plenty of fresh flowers and weeds around or you could grow your own!**

Exactly - and never buy from anywhere that does not give the origin, exact description of contents, batch number and sell by date etc on goods. If you find anything like this it is probably contravening the Trades Descriptions Act and could even be putting your little friend at risk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts