Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hear got a more complex Burm viv than the usual "Big box with newspaper and water" routine?
Like... well decorated and such? Am just looking for more ideas for my chap is all.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
i personally dont have a burm so cant comment on my own but surely if everything is more heavy duty like possibly outdoor fake plants and stuff it would be able to withstand the burms weight if secured strongly in place?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i personally dont have a burm so cant comment on my own but surely if everything is more heavy duty like possibly outdoor fake plants and stuff it would be able to withstand the burms weight if secured strongly in place?
Yeah that's no problem... just looking for fresh ideas as to like... what sorta backgrounds people use, what KIND of plants and such.. don't wanna go using rainforest style plants and such

Theres a bloke on youtube with some nicely decorated burm vivs i will try post a link later!
That's great, cheers mate

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i tried plants and he tried eating them 1 morning and anything rock and log like just get shoved up 1 end and nearly smashed the doors

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
all mine are in so called big boxes with newspaper :Na_Na_Na_Na: burms are lazy. massive enclosers(spelling) look nice but will never get used :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
i tried plants and he tried eating them 1 morning and anything rock and log like just get shoved up 1 end and nearly smashed the doors
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Yeah that's no problem... just looking for fresh ideas as to like... what sorta backgrounds people use, what KIND of plants and such.. don't wanna go using rainforest style plants and such
what about maybe like researching into the burms natural habitat and maybe tryna do a basic(ish) replica of taht for him/her ?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what about maybe like researching into the burms natural habitat and maybe tryna do a basic(ish) replica of taht for him/her ?
That's essentially what I am doing.
In fact I have rather extensive profiles on all of the snakes I keep, care with sections only about their native habitats. Just wanna see what other people have done, get the ol' creative spark going

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
That's essentially what I am doing.
In fact I have rather extensive profiles on all of the snakes I keep, care with sections only about their native habitats. Just wanna see what other people have done, get the ol' creative spark going
woooo sum1 else who likes to look into there reps natural enviroment i do that to helps me udnerstand teh requirements better kinda gives me my own lil guide :no1:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
woooo sum1 else who likes to look into there reps natural enviroment i do that to helps me udnerstand teh requirements better kinda gives me my own lil guide :no1:

I think it's important as part of how I wanna enjoy my hobby.
At the moment I don't feel any of my snakes are in the habitats I intend to creat by a long shot, but I am in an odd transistional stage of upgrading vivs and stuff like that

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
arent burms either long grass or lots of leaf litter under dappled shade kinda guys

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
should be pretty easy to replicate theirs plenty of real wild grasses that would fill a viv quite easyly i guess it depends how far you plan to take it

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
should be pretty easy to replicate theirs plenty of real wild grasses that would fill a viv quite easyly i guess it depends how far you plan to take it
well... I do wanna be able to SEE the snake. lol
See I been looking at these artificial grasses you can get online, but not having seen them in real life I dunno how well they work and stuff

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
id love to see how this viv turns out not sure id have the time to clean something that complicated my self how bigs your burm

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He's still only less than a year old. Or just coming up to 1yo, he's about 5ft ish

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
plenty of room to grow then lol how bigs the viv gonna be it sounds like a spoilt snake to me lol

·
Registered
490 Posts
ohohoh Finally some one on here who likes it when big snakes actually DO have somethign more than a box with newspaper and a light... my mates 10 and 12ft burms have lovley vivs ill get some pics soonish but atm hes had to clear every thing coz of mites !!! there lovely but dull as fudge... the female is VERY dull

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Burm vivs tend to be rather plain but alas this is the best way to do it. whilst I would love to see mine in more naturalistic surroundings it is far to in practical. Most decor soon becomes dislodged, broken or as mention shoved out of the way, if furnishings are fixed and solid they will merely act as an anchor point for the Burm to hold onto whilst you try to remove it from the viv, playing tug of war with a big Burm is never a good idea !
Marking removal of your Burm more difficult than it need be may result in less interaction with the snake . Burms do require a certain amount of interaction if they are to remain handleable which is essential if only to ease routine maintenance.
I for one prefer the minimal approach but use aspen instead of newspaper.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts