Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a golden knee sling, put him in a 5 gallon tank and now I cant find him. Did I make a huge mistake. I have seen some people keeping them in a pill bottle. He is about the size of a finger nail. I am also worried he may not catch food in his large cage.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I bought a golden knee sling, put him in a 5 gallon tank and now I cant find him. Did I make a huge mistake. I have seen some people keeping them in a pill bottle. He is about the size of a finger nail. I am also worried he may not catch food in his large cage.
my chaco golden knee i got as a sling and put in a same sort of tank and he loves it he always hides under his log lol. but he has been growing really well since july he has molted 3 times. and he eats well ect.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Well if you are worried the only answer is to find him and move him to a smaller enclosure then he will find food easier and you will have the peace of mind that you can actually see him lol

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
I keep my slings in cricket tubs. If they are hungry they will find the food. :)
My bigger slings are all in cricket tubs, i find these ideal for slings & they come free with crickets :2thumb:.

Reactions: Dee_Williams

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Did you say 5 gallon? What's that, 20L?
Yeah ok, that's pretty big for a sling that size. It's not a problem though, if it's hungry then it'll find food. It won't use the space given to it, so is pointless, but not harmful.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
2 of my T's ar about the same size and i have them in 0.3ltr rubs

That's a RUB, you do realise that these have a gap around the lid don't you? A small sling could easily escape through the gap, especially as you have some pieces of wood right near the lid that it can climb on to aid this escape :gasp:. I would move the sling into a cricket tub as this is more secure than keeping it in a RUB :2thumb:.

Reactions: Tarantulaguy01

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
thanks i never thought about the air gap i used rubs as i like my invert tubs to
have locking lids.
the singapore blue is 2-3 cm across so may not be able to get out the gap but the trinidad chevron is quite small, have now put both RUB's into another tub thats got no gap round be lid just incase

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
thanks i never thought about the air gap i used rubs as i like my invert tubs to
have locking lids.
the singapore blue is 2-3 cm across so may not be able to get out the gap but the trinidad chevron is quite small, have now put both RUB's into another tub thats got no gap round be lid just incase

The cambridgei will get out the smallest gap, believe me i had one escape from 2 different enclosures :devil:.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you say 5 gallon? What's that, 20L?
Yeah ok, that's pretty big for a sling that size. It's not a problem though, if it's hungry then it'll find food. It won't use the space given to it, so is pointless, but not harmful.
I'd have to disagree. I think you should always house sling in small enclosure. Granted there's the argument that all wild slings live in the wild, but that's why the females lay potentially hundreds of eggs, most aren't supposed to make it. Saying "if it's hungry it'll find it" is like having a pet tiger in a ten thousand acer nature reserve, throwing in a goat and saying the same. It's like everything. Energy gained minus energy expended. If you at any point find this equation in the minus = death. Maybe I'm wrong, but you wouldn't take the chance with a P. metallica or an m. balfori say.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.