Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Russian tortoise egg in my incubator (day 81) at 30C so it should have hatched by now really. I candled it last night and discovered that is a large slit under the egg, it isn't that deep but there is yellow stuff on it. Should I open the egg or leave it?

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
A picture would perhaps help (if possible to do) but while I'm no expert on reptile eggs that does sound to me like it's gone bad.

I would wait for the more experienced people to give you a more definative answer.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Hi, I have a Russian tortoise egg in my incubator (day 81) at 30C so it should have hatched by now really. I candled it last night and discovered that is a large slit under the egg, it isn't that deep but there is yellow stuff on it. Should I open the egg or leave it?
Day 81 at those temps is probably over due. But could be a late developer.
Were there any other eggs?
When you candled it, did the egg look dark inside?
Or clear?
If clear then could be infertile.
If it were me, and the egg has a slit/crack, I would open it. But that's me:0)
I like to know what happened, but it is a chance, as there could be a tortoise in there.
I incubate at 32c and they hatch in 54 - 64 days usually. Mostly 54 days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I think I'll cut it open soon. It was Black sort of when candling. There was another egg but that one deteriorated a few weeks ago and smelt really bad. These were the first eggs I've had from tortoises. How often do they lay because I've had more eggs since these were laid.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I think I'll cut it open soon. It was Black sort of when candling. There was another egg but that one deteriorated a few weeks ago and smelt really bad. These were the first eggs I've had from tortoises. How often do they lay because I've had more eggs since these were laid.
Anything you do with eggs when your a novice, is always good experience for the future. We all have to make mistakes to learn, hopefully not to big a mistake:0)
Just make sure you look at the eggs from beginning to end. As colour tells you a lot.
First laid and they have a pinky tinge to them.
If fertile they will go chalky white to look at.
Then of course candling them.
Its better to mark the top of the eggs with date or an X so you know the right way round for them. Don't make the mistake of turning the eggs, as this will kill the embryo.
Tortoises if kept inside can lay through out the year, but not good for them.
The normal cycle would be any mating done in late Autumn will/can result in tortoises laying not long after they get up from hibernation. Provided temps are right and nesting area for the tortoise. They can be picky.
Then they can lay several more clutches around a month or just over up until around June. Of course depending on weather and fertility.
If its a first time layer, then sometimes its only the once:0)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, I breed leopard geckos so I knew some of the stuff like not to turn the eggs over. I'm gonna cut into the egg now, I'll let you know what I find...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn....

Does it look like it was infertile then or did the egg did during incubation.
Could this be because it was the first eggs or could it be something to do with the female. I bought her in April and posted pics on the forum and some users pointed out that she had MBD or a calcium deformity. Her shell looked bad but she has come on well since. I'll create another thread and post the link on this one. Thanks for the help guys but I suppose it's good to gain knowledge and experience of this.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

Russians do tend to take a little longer than Med species to hatch, even at those temps, but it sounds as though it might have failed particularly if there is a lot of yolk. Is there any smell at all?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Damn....
[URL="http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a543/joejoe1597/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsa6f7d7c9.jpg"]image[/URL]
Does it look like it was infertile then or did the egg did during incubation.
Could this be because it was the first eggs or could it be something to do with the female. I bought her in April and posted pics on the forum and some users pointed out that she had MBD or a calcium deformity. Her shell looked bad but she has come on well since. I'll create another thread and post the link on this one. Thanks for the help guys but I suppose it's good to gain knowledge and experience of this.
Looks like it was never fertile - very common with first eggs, although I did have a small female lay 4 eggs once all of which were fertile, so always worth trying.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was a smell and I weighed it before I cut it, it was 13 grams if I remember right, so I think there may never have been anything in it. I suppose I can try again next time though and hopefully have more success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
There was a smell and I weighed it before I cut it, it was 13 grams if I remember right, so I think there may never have been anything in it. I suppose I can try again next time though and hopefully have more success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its all a learning curve:0)
You will be more experienced the next time:0)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts