Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My russian desert tortoise is about 3 years old. He lives in a habitat outside on our 4th story balcony, and my husband just found small black ants all over his food today. I want to know what I can do to help him... It is late at night so I can't check hi body now... Will check in the morning. He is nowhere near where the food was and we took the food out and left the bowl out too... I need something for him! He is so happy out there. I don't want to have to bring him inside. He hated living inside.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Make sure he has a good depth of soil to burrow into at night. They do hate being indoors, but then they do need deep substrate outdoors too. Ants will do no harm. Give him food scattered around, not in a dish and not enough that he ever leaves any. They only eat for 3-4 months in the wild, so giving continual feeding is not good and as you have found, will attract ants etc www.tortsmad.com/russians.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.