Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Bought a mat stat yesterday and had to cut a small hole in the top of the Plastic Tub lid for the probe to fit through.

The probe didn't leave much room left but for safety for my baby corn Checkers, I placed some brown tape around the probe cable and over the little hole so he couldn't get out.

Is this ok? Can I use anything better to secure the lid?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
When i have holes in the top i bought some metal mesh from my local garden centre and taped it to the outside as added ventilation and also so they couldnt escape.

If you use tape do not stick it to the inside. The last thing you want is for the tape to stick to the snake.

Hope this helps:2thumb:

·
Registered
354 Posts
what we do is fold some paper and wrap around wire and push into hole this way it can`t accidently get stuck to snake
we did learn the hard way not to use tape in vivs

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
some aquarium sealent from you local fish/reptile shop would be good
Aye i agree, if its a tiny gap sealant is good and you should be able to remove the probe still.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I agree about the tape on the inside. i had a very bad experience with duck tape & a corn snake many years ago & trust me it was awful.
But a good outcome in the end.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tape is on the outside round the mat stat probe cable, wouldn't dream of putting tape inside, out if interest what bad experiences did people have with tape inside the viv?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blu-Tac is your friend:2thumb:

I always put some blu-tac on my wires so there is no gaps :2thumb:
Will the snake be able to push the blu tac off (baby corn, 3 mos old), it's a plastic viv with a ventilated lid?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Little dot of silicon does the trick (get the quick setting one):2thumb:

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
I've used tape before with no problems, just put tape on both sides so no sticky side could come into contact with the snake.
You were lucky then.

Ive had it happen twice (you woulda thought I'd learn after the first time) and seen it happen on 2 other peoples. No matter how well stuck down you think it is........disaster happens and getting it off a snake is one of the most horrid and worrying things Ive had to do. Not fun. Dont risk it. :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
The duck tape i used inside the viv had a very tiny bit not stuck down properly & yes you guessed it, my corn found it.
It was completely stuck all like in a ball with its mouth all stuck open & believe me as old as i am i was nearly in tears.
It was awful to see & took a lot of time and patience to unstick.
Luckily no ill affects & would never want to experience that again ever.:cry:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The duck tape i used inside the viv had a very tiny bit not stuck down properly & yes you guessed it, my corn found it.
It was completely stuck all like in a ball with its mouth all stuck open & believe me as old as i am i was nearly in tears.
It was awful to see & took a lot of time and patience to unstick.
Luckily no ill affects & would never want to experience that again ever.:cry:
The tape is outside the tub and connected to the thermostat probe. It is not inside and I would never do this.

My main question now is will the corn have enough strenght to push through the tape or move the tape off it?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I've used tape before with no problems, just put tape on both sides so no sticky side could come into contact with the snake.
You're very lucky then. The heat and humidity inside many tubs/vivs means that the tape is likely to start peeling away with time exposting the sticky surface to the occupant.:eek4:
Graham.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts