Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
thinking of getting a small monitor or a crestie next year just wanted your informed advice on the matter. ive been out of the lizard keeping game for quite some time now though i have kept a few spp. first-to-last, pink toungued skink, anoles, turkish geckos, black and white tegu and bearded dragons. to be honest i dont know whats about these days inturms of small monitors. ideally something under 3 or 4 foot which does not depend greatly on insects. as for creasties ive always liked the look at them but are they really all that? any infomation would be really cool im just tying to sus things out :)

thanks,
cass

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
ackies and peacocks are down in prices now, ackies especially are good dwarf monitors. peacock monitors are probably my favourites though. both are pretty easy to keep

·
Registered
756 Posts
Dwarf monitors should be fed predominantly a diet of insects - this is what they would eat in the wild "most" of the time. Feed occasionaly, ie once a week, a rodent. So if you're looking for a monitor you don't feed an insect diet to, then you are looking at a monitor over 4ft.

Don't know much about geckos so can't advise you on that one. Given the size difference though it would be reasonable to assume that geckos are more fragile, and so would suffer more as a result of handilng.

Dave.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah well the handling thing is an issue as i dont whant a beast i cant touch or a pethetic little thing that nearly dies of shock when handled. im fairly certain though that neather of these lizards fall into this catogory. however the next issue is price.. how much do ackies or peackock monitors go for on avarage? and how does this compere to crasties?

thanks guys

·
Registered
756 Posts
Ackies, judging by what is available on most websites, average at 175 for 1. If you search through classified sections you can probably get a trio for 300. Not sure about peacocks or timors - about the same I should expect. Cresties appear to vary:

Search for "crested", "ackie", "monitor" here:

Livefood UK Classifieds!! - FOR SALE

Individual temperaments will vary despite what species you get so you will have to hope for the best and hang on if/when you get bit.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've had my cresty for about 3 months now. He's such a character. I highly recommend them! I feed mine on fruit puree (mango & banana with Crested Gecko Diet mixed in) 1 day, then fruit puree and four crix on 2nd day, then just 4/5 crix on the 3rd day. Day four is day off then the cycle starts again. Crix are dusted as with most geckos, Nutrobal and Calypso on alternate days. He's about 4 months old and weighs a healthy 16g. He weighed 3g when we got him, so he's put on 13g in 3 months, so this diet seems to suit him! If you handle them from young, they make great handlable lizards. They're relatively easy to look after, not as easy as a leopard gecko as they don't poo in 1 place, but that's no big deal. And their not shy of pooing on you too, but it doesn't smell as bad as leos :lol2: .

Their viv needs spraying in the evening and they will require a small heat mat in the winter as they like to be kept at mid 70s (24C) in the day. Any higher than 85F and you risk stressing your cresty and killing him. As you've owned reps before, if you do get cresties, maybe consider getting two or more females as a lot of people say they are more active if they have company. If I didn't get mine out, I wouldn't see him that often, but then he is still a youngster. Bu he loves coming out :) Also, cresties don't grow their tails back if they lose them. Mine's still got his.

Hope this helps. I'm not a fan of big lizards, mainly as I don't have the space, but each to their own.

Cresties can be £45 upwards for a baby, and £70 upwards for an adult. You can pay lots for high-end morphs. Check out CaptiveBred - Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds, Info & more for price ranges, colour morphs and availability. Scott Wilkinson (owner of Captive Bred) couriers his stock too.

Reactions: leila

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cresties it is! they jusat seem to make more sence and i love the idea of having a group as i did with bearded dragons. i could just wach thier little territorial bouts for ages lol. i did get have to sell one in the end cos winston started loosing his tail and some toes :)

anyway thanks for the insight,
cass

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
why did you get rid of your last lot sounded like a nice bunch i dont know why anyone would get rid of a tegu though
good luck with whatever you get:)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
cresties it is! they jusat seem to make more sence and i love the idea of having a group as i did with bearded dragons. i could just wach thier little territorial bouts for ages lol. i did get have to sell one in the end cos winston started loosing his tail and some toes :)

anyway thanks for the insight,
cass

great choice!: victory:

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why did you get rid of your last lot sounded like a nice bunch i dont know why anyone would get rid of a tegu though
good luck with whatever you get:)
just ver time i whent more into snake but i made sure all the lizards whent to good homes including the tegu :D

cass

1 - 11 of 11 Posts