Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my corn snake about two months ago, and I’m looking to get a smooth green snake to live in the empty viv. Id like a snake on the smaller size, preferably an insectivore which is why I’ve gone for a smooth green snake. The viv has two levels with a hole connecting the two- altogether, it is about h1.7 metres x w1metre x d70cm. It’s currently set up with aspen bedding and branches but I’d like to put plants and foliage in it, however don’t want to spend the money on this change if a green snake isn’t the right choice. I’ve owned snakes for about 2 years and have worked in a reptile shop so have some experience with snakes but am not an expert.
does anyone know if a green snake would be the right choice, if not, what other snakes should I look into?

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
You won't get a smooth green snake. Due to their protection the US don't allow them to be exported.
You do get rough green snakes though.
However, their care is VERY different to a corn snake.
Your enclosure for a start is completely wrong.
You need UV, an arboreal set up with a canopy of branches, lots of ventilation but also humidity. They also do better kept in a group not individually.
On top of that most sold are wc adults and do not live long u less you get them as soon as they land in the UK and have a thorough understanding if acclimatising wc snakes, as well as how to safely and successfully convert them onto a diet of commercially bred live food.
In all honesty, if you lost a corn snake after less than 2 years, these are not snakes for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello katesmith,

If you meant lost as in ‘escaped’ it might still turn up, it is surprising how long they can persist.

If you meant lost as in ‘passed on/died’, then sorry to hear that, and I hope there was resolution for you in the process.
Antaresia spp include some beautiful, lively, and robust mini pythons.
check out
spotted pythons
childrens pythons

other names to look out for
stimsons
pygmy
anthill

I am growing up some Antaresia maculosa, Spotted pythons, they are really engaging, lively, semi-arboreal, and stay pretty small.

regards,

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You won't get a smooth green snake. Due to their protection the US don't allow them to be exported.
You need UV, an arboreal set up with a canopy of branches, lots of ventilation but also humidity. They also do better kept in a group not individually.
On top of that most sold are wc adults and do not live long u less you get them as soon as they land in the UK and have a thorough understanding if acclimatising wc snakes, as well as how to safely and successfully convert them onto a diet of commercially bred live food.
In all honesty, if you lost a corn snake after less than 2 years, these are not snakes for you.
Thanks, I’ve been researching these snakes for a good few weeks and nowhere did it mention the exportation issues. I’ll have a look at some other options in that case. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello katesmith,

If you meant lost as in ‘escaped’ it might still turn up, it is surprising how long they can persist.

If you meant lost as in ‘passed on/died’, then sorry to hear that, and I hope there was resolution for you in the process.
Antaresia spp include some beautiful, lively, and robust mini pythons.
check out
spotted pythons
childrens pythons

other names to look out for
stimsons
pygmy
anthill

I am growing up some Antaresia maculosa, Spotted pythons, they are really engaging, lively, semi-arboreal, and stay pretty small.

regards,

Andy
Hi Andy

My corn snake did actually escape- I came home to find the catch on the viv broken and the door wide open. My plan is to keep one of my three vivs empty in case she finds her way back.
Thank you for your recommendations, I’ll have a look into all of those

thanks
Kate

·
Registered
33,261 Posts
Thanks, I’ve been researching these snakes for a good few weeks and nowhere did it mention the exportation issues. I’ll have a look at some other options in that case. Thank you!
Not only that but they are even harder to keep than rough scaled greens, ie nearly impossible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Andy

My corn snake did actually escape- I came home to find the catch on the viv broken and the door wide open. My plan is to keep one of my three vivs empty in case she finds her way back.
Thank you for your recommendations, I’ll have a look into all of those

thanks
Kate
In that case, I would not suggest advertising as lost on social media, but I would recommend reporting to local vets / local exotics vet, and if there is a local exotics pet shop. If someone finds the corn, with luck, it could get handed in.
Best outcome, is the corn turns up when you least expect, fit and healthy.
There have been some recent forum postings on losing pet snakes, and how to try to recover them, so I won’t trawl through that, but get it out if helpful.

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our Kingsnake went missing for 5 months. Thought we'd never see him again. Was in my kitchen one Saturday morning, decided to go upstairs, opened the door and there was our snake, looking very skinny, rearing up at our cats who thought he was a toy for them to play with. I grabbed him and put him back in his viv. We're still not 100% sure how he escaped but we did find the glue had dried out at one corner of the viv so the door didn't quite close properly and we think he got out that way. That was 5 years ago and we still have the old devil (he's 21 now). We think he survived by going under the kitchen door - there's a gap between the bottom of the door and the floor of about 3/4 inch and drank water from the dog's water bowl so your snake could very well turn up yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts