Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm relatively new or even very new to fish my usual haunt is phibs ,reps, and inverts. But my girlfriend had a small aquarium which she's brought to the new house and I've recently upgraded it to a larger tank. I've planted it up pretty heavily, and first noticed the odd snail. Which I thought at first they was pretty cool another mix to the biodiversity to the community tank. But now they are everywhere I've been reading about dwarf puffer fish as a way of controlling them but also read they are not best in community tanks if anyone has any experience of them advice would be great. I've also just picked up a Chain loach as was told these are good for eating snails and saw them in the shop they did go for snails so has any one had experience with these as well. Is there any other small fish sp. That are good for controlling snails that are OK for community tanks. I really don't want to use chemicals so that route is out of the question. Cheers all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A boom in snails is normally a sign of over feeding,

Cut back you feeding to a small pinch every 3 days and this along with your loach should help get rid of them.

As for dwarf puffers I keep them but in a tank by them selfs I really wouldn't add them to a community tank.

·
Registered
611 Posts
When you say "large tank" how big are we talking? Also what else do you have in there. Midnight cats and chocolate cats are great for snail control but get about 6" so not good for smaller tanks. Clown loach are frankly excellent for snails but get even bigger.

Another physical removal method is to put a small saucer/plate up-side-down on the gravel with a little bit of food under it. Put it there last thing at night and then first thing in the morning go in with a net and scoop out all the snails that gather. You'll never get them all, and frankly probably never will whichever method you choose, but you'll keep the numbers down.

As said before if there's a sudden boom in the snail population it typically means there's lots to feed on, ie left over fish food. Cutting back and watching if any food lies on the bottom helps nip it in the bud.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A little late to the party, but I have a 75 litre tank with a blue crayfish in, a very messy critter. I brought her a plant as she loves eating them and I had a huge outbreak of tiny pond snails. I didn't know about them, I didn't mind them too much but they got really bad, they ate all the nice plants my crayfish would normally leave alone.

I got four assassin snails and they cleared them away pretty quickly, I think I stopped seeing them after a month. Had to start feeding the assassins bloodworms though.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Assassins will also take sinking catfish pellets (not algae wafers proper meaty ones). That's what I fed mine on after they very quickly consumed all the problem snails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts