Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you cure it? :(

Im scared stiff of my snake. I'm trying to clean her viv out, and i just cant do it....

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
sorry for being exremely blunt, but surely if you are so scared you cant even clean out your snake, then you shouldnt be keeping it. as i see it you are unable to adequately maintain it, so therefore it is an unsuitable pet right?

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasnt scared of her at all when i got her... its only been in the past few days that i just cant touch her. And I don't know why. =/

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yay I moved her...

i dunno what i'm scared of... i dont know if im more scared of hurting her... like breaking her teeth or flinging her across the room if she bit me.. :?

·
Registered
698 Posts
What type is it? Just calmly put ya had in and lift it out if its only a small snake you most likly wont even feel it if it duz bite you. once its out of the viv pop it in a pillow case or a secure box and carry on cleaning, but plenty of handling will get you over your "phobia" and it will get you snake used to being handled.
Im sure you will become good friends beofr to long, just a few mins a day should be about right for you both.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type is it? Just calmly put ya had in and lift it out if its only a small snake you most likly wont even feel it if it duz bite you. once its out of the viv pop it in a pillow case or a secure box and carry on cleaning, but plenty of handling will get you over your "phobia" and it will get you snake used to being handled.
Im sure you will become good friends beofr to long, just a few mins a day should be about right for you both.

i think its because when she was small, she was really friendly and used to just let me pick her up. But now she's started curling into a ball and pulling her head back as soon as i reach into the viv....

and she moves away really quick if i try to pick her up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If it does bite it won't hurt so you are unlikley to hurt it or throw it across the room. It is more likely to try to get away from you than bite anyway. It sounds like you could both do with regular contact for short periods of time. I had a timid one and started by getting him out several times a day for just a few minutes. Once they learn that you won't harm them they tend to settle down.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

i think its because when she was small, she was really friendly and used to just let me pick her up. But now she's started curling into a ball and pulling her head back as soon as i reach into the viv....

and she moves away really quick if i try to pick her up.
my corn does this as well, id expect nothing more tbh. i huge hand coming towards them wouldnt be the nicest of things to see! mine never strikes though, once i get it out of the viv its perfect and loves being out beside me on the sofa or table! dont be scared, just build up some confidence with your snake and handle it everyday if you can.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah cool :D

i was just holding her for a few seconds and she was good as gold.

I'll have her out for 5-10 mins everyday, then :D

im feeling more confident already lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Esfa - I was exactly the same with my daughters corn. Once OH had got him out I was quite happy to handle him but everytime I tried to get him out of the tank I became quite irrational! But it's right what others are saying - you do just have to get on with it. Everytime I put my hand in to get him and he doesn't tag me my confidence improves. You'll be just the same you just have to keep at it. Best of luck with it all, just get him out for a few minutes every day - few weeks time you won't think twice about it. :2thumb:

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
It's a corn, if it bites you, your most likely not even gonna feel it :razz:

Just make slow steady movements and you should be fine.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts

same as when my albino burn bit me the outher day just keep her out she was fine first time she bit me but think i must have woke her up like i say dont hurt and is so quick (had to pull a tooth out me hand tho little bugger lol)

hope u get sorted tho :2thumb:

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers guys, i just got her out and she rattled her tail like crazy, but i just carried on and then once i had hold of her she was fine! :no1:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well Done

Well done Esfa, You took control and have started that bond again. more experienced keepers seem to forget that a lot of people won't even enter the room of a snake. So even if you want to hold and look after such a wonderful animal it is hard sometimes to completely remove all those things that adults tell us when we are children. Can't wait to get back to work tonight to see my little girl, India.

Dicky
DofP

·
Registered
490 Posts
like every one has said here nearly all snakes will be slightly defensive (i can imagin why they would also) dont try and go for her/his head aim to pick up a coil with a "firm" grip.... i belive all snakes are wanting to do is to show dominence over you hence why they show defensive signs like tail rattling or S bending.... there is nothing to be afraid of as when i brought my first corn she was 5ft and HIGHLY defensive... i took 3 bites/strikes and now shes fine!!! if you are still nervous something which is good to use is a glove over the hand you are going to pick it up with BUT remeber as soon as she is out TAKE THE GLOVE OFF snakes will remeber the "taste" of the person that picked them up... this is the same reason why when you first have a snake avoid passing it to other people to handle for the first month or so
hope this helps
AND KEEP PICKING IT UP SHOW YOUR DOMINENCE!!!!

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
ophidiophobia is a curse many are inflicted with. i'm sure you'll be ok Esfa. just a little confidence on your part and your snake should reciprocate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts