Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my grandson loves snakes and was thinking of getting him one he has handled cornsnakes a few times but wondered if anyone has any advice . whether they think he is old enough etc. also any reputable places in manchester to get advice / buy thanks

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
My Lad is 9 and my daughter 7, I work away from home from Sunday evening to Friday evening and my lad looks after my 11 snakes (10 Corns, 1 Royal), Although my wife is around when he handles them, he does all the cleaning, water changes etc leaving my wife the look after the lizards. My daughter also has her own hatchling corn and a tortoise to take care of.

Each child is different my lad reads more books on snakes than I do and can name quite a few just from pics unlike myself. Personally as long as there is an adult around when handling I cant see a problem. Although my lad has never been bitten (well just once by a young pastel corn we picked up for a friend) I think supervision should always be there just in case.

They are cheap to keep and maintain. :D

Sy

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wouldn't give 10 year old a snake unless there was an adult to help with general care of the snake.
It is a known fact that salmonella "incidents" are more common among children mearly because of the fact that they dont understand the importance of cleaning their hands after handeling the snake.
Then there is also the temp and humitity to think of, and in case the snake gets sick.
Get the parents involved first.

·
Registered
279 Posts
personally i would not use viper and vine!!!!!! pm me for details. a better place is manchester pets and aquatics

·
Registered
991 Posts
Atvar said:
personally i would not use viper and vine!!!!!! pm me for details. a better place is manchester pets and aquatics
Afraid i disagree, although i have bought snakes from both and i prefer viper and vine. (i know about your problem with them obviously mark but i think that was a one off..........maybe)

I tell you what, take a short trip to the reptile room in clevleys (blackpool) it will be worth the trip! :wink: you will get a freindly welcome, great service and good value. IT IS THE BEST REP SHOP IN THE NORTH WEST :!:

woodys pets in cadishead is pretty good too.

and yep a corn IS the best snake for your son :D

Good luck :wink:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
perfect pet for that age child.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I gave my 8 year old granddaughter one of my hatchlings recently as she has always been besotted with my snakes she has always handled them and never been afraid of them,she fetches lots of books from 3 different libraries, she actually tells me things that i dont know, she is supervised by myself (as i dont live far away) and her mum and dad, she does all the cleaning ,feeding changing of water ,which i think for a child, is a big responsibility, but she loves it. As long as someone is there to supervise your child with her new pet, go for it, it teaches them responsibility and im sure they will have many happy hours together,
Please come back and let us know what you decide..Diane

·
Registered
89 Posts
pets

Hi I thought long and hard about a pet for my daughter who is 6, I have to add a sensible 6 year old. We thought about hamsters and gerbils and thought great, noise at night, mess and biting. In the end I was going to get myself a pet royal python and it ended up hers. She now has 3 royal pythons and a bearded dragon in her room. She's sensible about washing her hands and with her friends. She adores them and helps do their care. I am ultimately responsible for them and sort out the feeding but she helps with the rest of the care. Jointly they are shared ownership but she counts them as hers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts