Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I've had my fair share of snake bites in my 9 years of keeping reptiles some a lot worse than others!
Personally my most painful bite to date was a California kingsnake when she bit my finger and thumb tip at the same time in a feeding response! My worst damage wise was from a friends sub adult anaconda to my arm.
What is your snake bite experiences? I really want to hear more stories as not many people near me keep snakes or reptiles at all! Ive attached a video i got by accident of my boa biting me in the face!:mf_dribble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa34G9jQCes

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
my boa bit me and coiled round my wrist for a bit, my fault as i didnt know how quick she could be and had a guinea pig in my hand, she left 4 teeth in my hand and my hand was pretty much purple

safe to say that was the worst bite ive ever had

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm quite lucky my royal bit me when she was only few months old barely felt it didn't even bleed boas bit a few times when younger but it was nothing but dare say it will be bad when she's a big girl

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
My most embarrassing bite was from a 4 foot long bullsnake. I was giving a program about him and telling how tame and goodnatured he was and how he never bit me. That's when he latched on to the wrist of my free hand and started constricting. He was wrapped around both hands so I couldn't get him off without help. And my pals were laughing so hard they couldn't come help me.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
I've been bit 4 times. 2 off my ETB in the fingers whilst feeding and 2 off one of my retics because she just decided to be an arse. No pics of the ETB bites but got some from the retic. The retic bites where really, really painful as she was constricting and pulling at the same time. Thought she was going to break my arm with the first bite. And break my wrist with the second. Bare in mind she was only 13ft. A bite off a full grown adult mainland must be ridiculous.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have to say my worst bit was from my boa she hit me pretty hard and didnt wand to let go my hand had almost turned purple by the time i got her unravled and off lol. And most embarasing was from one of my royals lol my friend isnt completely confident with snakes wanted to hold one on his lap i said il get my big and oldest female out (baring in mind this snake had never shown any aggression in almost 9 years of owning her) as i thought she would be the best and sure enough the one and only time she has ever tagged me was right infront of him lol think i probably startled her tho so completely my own fault

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Hey! I've had my fair share of snake bites in my 9 years of keeping reptiles some a lot worse than others!

Personally my most painful bite to date was a California kingsnake when she bit my finger and thumb tip at the same time in a feeding response! My worst damage wise was from a friends sub adult anaconda to my arm.

What is your snake bite experiences? I really want to hear more stories as not many people near me keep snakes or reptiles at all! Ive attached a video i got by accident of my boa biting me in the face!:mf_dribble:

Wow , you nearly lost an eye there !!

I just don't allow any of mine within striking distance of my face / eyes .... I've had quite a few nips over the years ..... usually randomly unexpected ones from young / baby Boas , Royals at feeding time where they've just missed the offered food item and a few King snake nips when the smell of food is in the air.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
Ive attached a video i got by accident of my boa biting me in the face!:mf_dribble:
Sorry, but you broke all the "rules" and that was the result. You should never let a constrictor of that size get a hold around your neck. Whilst it may not kill you, it could cause difficulties in breathing, and puts the snake in a dominant position, and that was the result, a strike at the hand and then the face.

Sorry but for me this is another classic example of how not to handle a snake

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got bit in the face last week from a rescue corn snake in front of about 40 people. I've been bit on the leg by a boa and my worst one was a false water cobra bite where my finger swelled, went a bit purple and was numb for about 3 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Malc, the owner quite clearly says in the video blurb that it was her error that caused the bite. I appreciate that you want to encourage good practice but I don't see the virtue in labouring the point when she's already admitted it was her fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, but you broke all the "rules" and that was the result. You should never let a constrictor of that size get a hold around your neck. Whilst it may not kill you, it could cause difficulties in breathing, and puts the snake in a dominant position, and that was the result, a strike at the hand and then the face.

Thank you for replying and showing your concern and passion for this hobby i agree with what you said but Please read the description of the video, i know this was a mistake and i know i was purely to blame for this bite, it was posted 2 years ago and although i had owned reptiles for 7 years at this point, I was foolish enough to think i "knew" the snake. i relaxed and allowed the snake to first climb onto my shoulders and then onto my head while i was doing a recorded video chat with my friend. I shared this video, clearly stating i know i shouldn't of allowed the sequence of events to happen, and i haven't allowed a repetition since, but just cause i made a mistake, doesn't mean i shouldn't be allowed to share the video.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
I always wonder what would happen if a decent sized snake bit someone on their wrist area , pierced the main artery / vein and coiled around . !?!?!?

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
I always wonder what would happen if a decent sized snake bit someone on their wrist area , pierced the main artery / vein and coiled around . !?!?!?
You'd bleed a lot and then the snake would act as a natural tourniquet.

Reactions: GT2540

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
So has anyone ever DIED or close due to a artery / vein being pierced by a snakebite ... I wonder ??
Not sure Z. I'd say it's very likely some have suffered nerve or tendon damage though.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

May I ask for the "rules" please?

I agree putting a powerful constrictor around your neck is bad practise but that's not what I think led to the strikes here!!

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
I'll be honest, I'd have no problems putting a snake that big around my neck. I've done it with bigger. Not saying it's right but a snake that big isn't going to cause a healthy adult problems via constriction. Biting as seen maybe.

And for the record I had a dream thus morning that I had my retics back. Only they where huge. And Bia was chasing me and doing her best to get me.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Not sure Z. I'd say it's very likely some have suffered nerve or tendon damage though.
Yes several years ago I met a guy who had taken a bad bite to the face from a 14ft Retic that had caused permanent nerve/tendon damage and had left once side of his face somewhat distorted and "frozen" with very limited mobility in that side of his face.

As far as biting major blood vessels Frank Schofied had a GTP that had an unerring ability to hit veins (heat detection I suppose) and the large front teeth meant there was plenty of claret flowing after it had taken it's shot but it coagulated pretty quickly so never caused a long term problem. I hated dealing with that damn snake though.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Yes several years ago I met a guy who had taken a bad bite to the face from a 14ft Retic that had caused permanent nerve/tendon damage and had left once side of his face somewhat distorted and "frozen" with very limited mobility in that side of his face.

As far as biting major blood vessels Frank Schofied had a GTP that had an unerring ability to hit veins (heat detection I suppose) and the large front teeth meant there was plenty of claret flowing after it had taken it's shot but it coagulated pretty quickly so never caused a long term problem. I hated dealing with that damn snake though.
I was very lucky because my basin (bigger teeth) only hit me in the fingers. And to be fair I'd still rate a big snake over them. Just by the hideous pain of them pulling etc.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
May I ask for the "rules" please?

I agree putting a powerful constrictor around your neck is bad practise
It's just that... bad practices...

Common sense should suggest that you shouldn't put a snake that is as strong as a Boa around your neck. Same as handling a snake after being around rodents or birds without washing hands. It's all about minimising the risk to the person and the snake.

When I posted in this thread I was running late for work, so maybe I owe the OP an apology as I didn't pay that much attention to the description and just watched the video.. Fair play to the OP for posting it as a means to say this is now not to handle a snake. Hopefully a lesson has been learnt ?

@Zincubus - I took a tag on the left wrist from a large adult (1.2m) royal. It was a full bite with 4 rows of teeth marks top two on the bottom, with one puncher nicking one of the small veins just under the surface. I bled a lot, given the anti-coagulation of the saliva, it poured down my arm and over the carpet (which didn't make the wife happy !!) - After using a towel to dry my arm it soon stopped bleeding and it was almost embarrassing to show the wound that caused so much mess (looked similar to the pictures in one of the other posts above). However it wasn't the actual bite that hurt, it was the impact. My wrist went through all the colours from blue to black to yellow from the bruising, and doing simple things like holding a cup was really painful.

@basin79 - Sometimes I think you are more at risk of breathing issues with a medium sized snake than a large one, as medium snakes can form a complete coil around the neck, where as large snakes tend not to form full coils. But then handling large snakes has it's own issues. Years ago whilst less experienced, I placed a full grown royal around my neck and for whatever reason it started to constrict - the pressure on my Adams apple was painful, and the more I tried to pull him off the tighter his grip became. But I was able to remove him once I got hold of both ends, but whilst it only lasted a short period of time, and I was able to get out of the situation, it was quite a scary one at the time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts