Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big reader and am currently obsessed with learning everything I can about reptiles and more specifically snakes and tortoises. I have seen a lot of books out there but they seem to be very species dominant and about care.

Does anyone have any general reptile/snake/tortoise information books they could recommend or just any reptile book that you thought was a good read.

Cheers :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The Snakes of Europe by Guido Kreiner

Old World Vipers by Tony Phelps

A Monograph on the Colubrid snakes of the genus Elaphe FITZINGER by Klaus-Dieter Schulz

The Vipers of Europe by Johan de Smedt

Old World Ratsnakes - A Collection of Papers by Klaus-Dieter Schulz

Pythons of the World Vol. 1: Australia by David G. Barker and Tracy M Barker

Problem Snake Management: The Habu and the Brown Tree Snake by Gordon H. Rodda, Yoshio Sawai and Hiroshi Tanaka.

The Art of Keeping Snakes by Philippe De Vosjoli

I have avoided care books (except for the last), some of the above are quite pricy but worth the wait - you do get what you pay for, as they say!

Regards,
Francis

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Snakes of Europe by Guido Kreiner

Old World Vipers by Tony Phelps

A Monograph on the Colubrid snakes of the genus Elaphe FITZINGER by Klaus-Dieter Schulz

The Vipers of Europe by Johan de Smedt

Old World Ratsnakes - A Collection of Papers by Klaus-Dieter Schulz

Pythons of the World Vol. 1: Australia by David G. Barker and Tracy M Barker

Problem Snake Management: The Habu and the Brown Tree Snake by Gordon H. Rodda, Yoshio Sawai and Hiroshi Tanaka.

The Art of Keeping Snakes by Philippe De Vosjoli

I have avoided care books (except for the last), some of the above are quite pricy but worth the wait - you do get what you pay for, as they say!

Regards,
Francis
That is fantastic thank you Francis. Is there 1 or 2 of the book you would pick out from the bunch? Have had a brief look through and really like the sound of The Art of Keeping Snakes and The Snakes of Europe

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That is fantastic thank you Francis. Is there 1 or 2 of the book you would pick out from the bunch? Have had a brief look through and really like the sound of The Art of Keeping Snakes and The Snakes of Europe
I was afraid you would ask that as how do you rank one against another? For me personally I would probably say that the Monograph by Klaus-Dieter Schul is probably the most influential, but then again the Snakes of Europe by Kreiner is much cheaper and has lots of information on European snakes, which is what appeals to me!

Then again, Problem Snake Management is probably the most original and thought-provoking, although it only deals with two species.

The Art of Keeping Snakes is a cheaper paperback, shouldn't cost more than about a tenner I would think and has some really great ideas, particularly if you enjoy naturalistic terraria and want to hear about bio-active substrates.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was afraid you would ask that as how do you rank one against another? For me personally I would probably say that the Monograph by Klaus-Dieter Schul is probably the most influential, but then again the Snakes of Europe by Kreiner is much cheaper and has lots of information on European snakes, which is what appeals to me!

Then again, Problem Snake Management is probably the most original and thought-provoking, although it only deals with two species.

The Art of Keeping Snakes is a cheaper paperback, shouldn't cost more than about a tenner I would think and has some really great ideas, particularly if you enjoy naturalistic terraria and want to hear about bio-active substrates.
:whistling2: yeah bit of an evil question but thanks again for answering. You have help me make my mind up, will be picking up The Art Of Keeping Snakes as soon as possible for Honeymoon reading so cant really justify the more expensive books but will be getting The Snakes of Europe asap as sounds excellent

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Ive always found that things like solving snake infestations such as in Guam can be made easy or hard
Right now they do it the hard way spending many millions as a wasted effort

So simple really
Offer $10 per head for every dead snake
Every kid on the island would make a motza

Then give $100,000 prize for the last head
Payable 6 months after no more heads are handed in

In 3 years there would zero snakes in Guam

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:hmm:
Ive always found that things like solving snake infestations such as in Guam can be made easy or hard
Right now they do it the hard way spending many millions as a wasted effort

So simple really
Offer $10 per head for every dead snake
Every kid on the island would make a motza

Then give $100,000 prize for the last head
Payable 6 months after no more heads are handed in

In 3 years there would zero snakes in Guam
:hmm:?

Just to throw an extra question in - Does anyone know anywhere good to order The Art of Keeping snakes and possibly Pythons of the world Volume 2

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the search again for books - anyone with further recommendations?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Snakes: evolution of mystery in nature, by Greene et al.

Snakes: ecology and conservation, by Seigel and Mullin

The garter snakes: evolution and ecology, by Rossman, Ford and Siegel

Oldies but good reads:
The rattlesnakes (2 vols), by Laurence Klauber

Snakes and snake hunting (around 1955). Snakes: the keeper and the kept (around 1968 ). Both by Carl Kauffeld

1 - 10 of 10 Posts