Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have, or know of any good snake books.

I am not looking for a snake care manual more a field quide or encyclopedia that covers all worldwide species? Most of the books that i have looked at just tend to concentrate on venomous snakes, or the snakes that are commonly kept in captivity.

Is such a guide available? If not who can recomend their favourite snake book?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can highly recommend this book, bit expensive even with the Amazon discount, but worth every penny of the £60 it costs.

:D

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
We have two which are particularly interesting; Reptiles And Amphibians by Mark O'Shea and Tim Halliday, and The Reptile Survival Manual by David Alderton (which is more about husbandry but still interesting :D )

G

·
0 Posts
Although expensive i would also suggest snakes of the world.A very good book to have

·
Registered
475 Posts
The Encyclopedia of Snakes by Chris Mattison is fantastic :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Kerry1 said:
The Encyclopedia of Snakes by Chris Mattison is fantastic :)

Yay my sis is buying me this one as a present....and another one (i forgot the name) because if you buy one, you get another cheaper! yay!

·
Registered
850 Posts
The following books covers all reptiles but I thought it was worth a mention as it is fantastic and has been like a bible to me....

Biology, Husbandry & Health Care of Reptiles. Vol. 1. Hardcover, 360pp. Volume 1 features introductions to the taxonomy of the major groups of living reptiles, including such topics as inheritance, egg physiology, sex determination, and use of reptiles in public education. Fully illustrated. Vol 2. Husbandry of Reptiles Hardcover, 230 pp. Volume 2 relates all the information necessary for the successful keeping and breeding of snakes, lizards, and turtles. This volume is an excellent resource for anyone interested in the care of reptiles in captivity. Vol. 3. Health Care of Reptiles Hardcover, 446 pp.Volume 3, Health Care, discusses all the medical aspects of reptile keeping. The wide range of topics includes internal medicine, infectious disease, ultrasonography, dermatology, radiography, parasitology, reproductive disorders, surgery, anesthesia, and a host of other subjects.

This set of books cost me £125 but is an absolutely fantastic set of books and worth every penny. Ive wanted these books for as long as I can remember and wasnt disapointed when they arrived. They tell you everything about everything when it comes to reptiles. Well worth adding to the collection of any die hard reptile fan and has come in useful to me on a number of occasions!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts