Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that's what I think it is. I'm new here and have signed up recently because of a small issue with my young snake.

I have a corn snake that I got last summer at about 6-7months old? I'm not too sure on the age but that's not the issue. Basically, he/she is a healthy snake at about a 1ft now, give or take, and has a very placid nature and hasn't ever bitten or even attempted to bite anyone before until a few months ago.

However Booga only ever does this after he/she has eaten and snaps at my fingers but I'm confused to whether this is normal behaviour or if it's just a cry for a second pinkie for it's meal times every week? I don't know how quickly it takes for Booga to get over this snappy phase as I don't handle my snake for 2-3days after I feed it. As an extra note, I also feed my snake in a tub outside of it's home.

Can anyone tell me what's going on with him/her and is it my fault? Or is it a quirk that I'm going to have to live with? I'm just worried because when Booga grows up, he/she will be handled by kids and the last thing I want is for him/her to bite them!

Help please!!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
agreed with above should be on at the very smallest fuzzys but prob more like small mice please upgrade he will loose too much weight and get ill/slowly die
but it will stop one of my females gets really agressive at feeding time but is fine any other time

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
mine is 6month old and currently eating 2-3 pinkies a week. upgrade food

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Mine are 7 & 8 months old, about 2' long (just moved them into a 2' viv which they are the length of) they are on small Fuzzies. Sounds like Booga is a very hungry snake, a pinkie is no good for a snake that is possibly 18 months old :gasp:. Try feeding a small mouse & see how it goes, if Booga still strikes then there could be another reason why he/she is doing it (but i doubt it).

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
mines 8 months old and on medium mice

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
mines 8 months old and on medium mice

Is that a Royal or a Corn? There is no way my Corns could take a medium mouse (my Royals are on medium mice).

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
sorry didnt read thread propa bit hung over lol

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
Our corns at 12 months hammered ex large mice with no problem :2thumb:
I've never had a corn that could eat a mouse that big at 12 months......

You'd have to seriously power feed to get it that big that quick.

OP I agree you're not feeding remotely enough. Did you say the snakes only a foot long at 18 months? If so its way too small, but may struggle with medium mice. Give it a mouse that's 1.5 times the widest point of its body every 6/7 days.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Well that's what I think it is. I'm new here and have signed up recently because of a small issue with my young snake.

I have a corn snake that I got last summer at about 6-7months old? I'm not too sure on the age but that's not the issue. Basically, he/she is a healthy snake at about a 1ft now, give or take, and has a very placid nature and hasn't ever bitten or even attempted to bite anyone before until a few months ago.

However Booga only ever does this after he/she has eaten and snaps at my fingers but I'm confused to whether this is normal behaviour or if it's just a cry for a second pinkie for it's meal times every week? I don't know how quickly it takes for Booga to get over this snappy phase as I don't handle my snake for 2-3days after I feed it. As an extra note, I also feed my snake in a tub outside of it's home.

Can anyone tell me what's going on with him/her and is it my fault? Or is it a quirk that I'm going to have to live with? I'm just worried because when Booga grows up, he/she will be handled by kids and the last thing I want is for him/her to bite them!

Help please!!

Corns have a feeding response that lasts for say 15mins after they first encounter food.(in the wild they would eat the full nest of pinks if they could).
So if you are not feeding it enough it is going to strike at anything that moves thinking it may be a prey item.

If you think what you give it is enough then leave it alone to settle for a while and the feeding response will go. Other then that small food items are better than to big so offer it several pinks or small fluffs and see how many it wants to take.
This should satisfy its craving and stop the after dinner tantrums!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Try fuzzies first IMO, if it's used to pinkies then a small or med mice might be too much.

On the other hand, my boa gets feisty at feeding time, it's just his response to food. Make sure you wash your hands after handling any rodents too, but I'm sure moving him up to bigger food items will solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Maybe just hates you? XD

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Help please!!
i got my BABY cornsnake a week before christmas and he is already 1foot 4 inches long!! id say your well underfeeding. mines been on one small pinkie a week untill yday he went onto two small/medium pinkies and will soon be on small fuzzies in the next few weeks.

also if your hands smell of mice course he will snap....and i assume you are leaving him a few days after feeds and not trying to handle him after a meal other wise he may throw up and that can be dangerouse.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
yeps u need to upgrade the food,mines on a large mouse every 7 days as hes coming up to 3ft. x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts