Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

How often does everybody handle their snakes?

The reason I ask is that I just wrote out a classifieds ad for my two. I swiftly deleted it as I realise that I really don't want to sell them. However, due to work and family commitments the amount of time I have available for handling the snakes has diminished somewhat.

Both snakes are very well cared for in all other ways.
Detailed diaries are kept for each.

They are in fully equipped 4 x 2 x 2 vivs with lots of hiding and climbing places.
snakes checked everyday for health issues.
Waste removed as soon as it is seen.
Water everyday without fail
Fed appropriate sized food on time
Substrate completely removed and replaced every two weeks.
etc etc etc

However, where I am lacking is in giving the snakes time outside of their vivs and general handling. :oops: :(

This makes me feel really guilty. :(

Should I keep them with my one failing??

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks all

osmotic

Some pictures...just because!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I'd have thought the snake couldn't care less whether you handeled it or not, and as long as it has enough room in the viv to strech out, is quite happy!

Regular handling is a good idea to keep them tame, so if you have no problems there, don't worry.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Are they already tame? If so, twice a week or even once a week will do them. :)

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Beautiful snakes. I think we tend to handle our snakes for our benefit more than theirs. As long as theyre well cared for(and it sounds like they are definately) and have plenty of room, I dont think they would be bothered too much by not coming out as frequently.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Deano.

Just concerned that they have a pretty sedentary life style and like all animals they need regular exercise.

Do you think that just pottering about in their vivs is enough?

Not worried about them being tame, if they get a bit snappy that's my fault! If I was kept in one room all day I would be fairly snappy too!

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
wat everyone has said to you is correct babe....regular handling is normally to keep the animal tame and is for our benefit more than theirs...as long as they are hapy, healthy and well cared for then your doing a grand job xx

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
they dont need and some dont even like to be handled, they will be perfectley happy to never see you again (sorry), but if you dont handle them for ages then suddenly start, dont be too surprised if you get tagged once or twice :lol:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! In the time it took me to type my last response....three more posts. :)

Thanks all :)

My point still applies though...In no way am I thinking that the actual human handling aspect is good for them, just the increase in exercise for them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again guys.

Only been tagged once so far and that was so my fault!! :lol:

After all of your posts - I am glad I delted my classifieds advert.

I would still be interest to know your thoughts on the health aspects of limited exercise...this issue was raised to me by a reptile shop manager.

Markhill: 'they will be perfectly happy to never see you again'

Thats fine mate...I get that from Humans too. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
keep em

give them a good swim when u can as this is great form of exercise for them, mine love it

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've 2 garters who I handle both every day if possible :)

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I handle my Royal (which I know are not the most keen on human contact) 3 days a week (roughly)
I handle her for about 20 minutes at a time although there are times when she doesnt want to go back into her viv so she is out for longer.

Your snakes look in great condition. I'm glad you didnt make the mistake of selling them :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said,i only handle mines about twice a week and can't say they too bothered about it,as long as the viv is big enough then handling is really for our benefit.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You should keep the boa and sell me your JCP :D I have been looking for a female adult /sub adult JCP for months.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have about fifty snakes so some dont get handled that often.

Today I handled my big male amel corn ( 5 foot plus) And an 18 month old common boa which had not been handled for about three weeks.
No probs from either and both are in good health
Like others have said , handling is for your benefit not the snakes

John

·
Registered
990 Posts
Handling

Snakes only move to change their body temp, to eat, to drink or get out of the light. Once they have eaten they tend to just sit and digest. I would think some movement helps with the muscle tone of the snake and aids digestion. Personally I like to handle 3 days after feeding to give them more excersize than their small enclosurers allow. As for handling to soften the temperament of the snake it depends on the individual animal. I have had 82 snakes ranging from corns to yellow anacondas and all came to me with bad attitudes. I managed to calm all but 2. The female yellow anaconda didn't like being picked up so she was put in another tank and cleaned out when she needed it. Unfortunately I made a huge mistake with a female Borneo blood python. She was calming nicely until lack of time forced me not to handle her and her growth rate was rapid. I ended up with a 5 foot monster. All other 80 snakes calmed down and were fine if not handled for a week or so.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
best excersize would probably be swimming, if you dont handle them for a while and they start to get the hump, get some snake hooks for taking them to the bath. You cant be that bad that even humans dont wnat to see you either. :shock: :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
i handle them when i see them active and if i've got some time spare, so pretty much about once a day. One of them is still not happy about coming out too much, the other is more than happy :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts