Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well i thought i would update the feeding tips thread and post it here for new people to see, i have consolidated all the posts and added tips i missed so

When your snake stops feeding this is what you should do -

So to Start with the first and most important thing to do is to Relax and stop worrying.

When your snake stops eating you need to take into account the following,

1. Is your Snake going into Shed
2. Has your snake been moved recently
3. Are your Temps correct
4. Is the Husbandry correct for you snake (size of viv, hides, greenary)
5. Is it winter time or breeding season
6. Is your snake showing any signs of illness/stress, Just to enhance one of the reasons that your snake will stop feeding is because of stress, but all of the reasons i mentioned are factors that cause stress,

So after asking yourself all of these questions, this is what you do,

1. Weigh you snake and monitor for any weight loss,
2. Change the time period that you offer, do not offer every day or every couple of days,
3. Reduce food size that is offered

Ok so now we have the basics covered, when offering there are a few things that you can do to intice your snake to take the food, it does not matter which order you try these methods in but try them all over a period of time before going on to the next step below.

1. Warm up the food (hair dryer, hot water, etc)
2. Brain the food (slit head)
3. Leave food in viv, cover up and leave for 24hrs without looking,
4. Place snake into a tub and take it for a 15- 20 minute drive. this method is like a roller coaster effect, you place the snake into a tub and put tub on seat of car, the movement of the car gently rocks the snake around and disturbs gut flora in its stomach and hopefully causes the snake to feed,
5. Scenting food (with other foods, suppliments)
6. Placing on a jacket (place skin of a chick over food)
7. Offer different food types (gerbils, rats, multis, chicks etc)
8. Rub the defrosted food with some of the bedding to give it a fresh smell and you could also place some of the bedding inside the viv to excite the snake 10 or 15 minutes prior to feeding.
9. Try pre-killed food, to use this method you have to kill the rodent and place n viv whilst it is still twitching.
10. Put them into a pillow case with the food.

Another tip i was given and have started to use is, as we know Oct - Apr is winter them breeding season, if during this period you snakes refuses and is not in shed,

dont panic and instead of offering as usual offer on a monthly basis,

if after 2-3 months they still refusing, just stop offering until april,

all you have to do is weigh once or twice a month and keep an eye for any serious loss, if it a few grams here and there its nothing to worry about, what you are looking for is larger amounts (100g+)

Once the season is over down size you snakes home (if in 3ft move into a 2ft), place in a food item smaller then they usually take and leave, once taken you can slowly build them back upto the original size food, they may not start taking straight away, therefore try using the basic methods (brainin, death wiggle,warming etc etc)

Ok once all these methods have been tried, and you snake is still not eating then it may be time for a visit to the vets to give you snake the once over (this may only be necessary if it shows signs of illness or has stopped eating from one of the obvious reasons.

There are 3 other methods you can use to try to gety your snake to feed, but these are only to be done as last resorts and usually after being advised to from a vet.

1. Live food
2. Assist feeding
3. Force feeding

Of these methods live food would be the prefered and less stressful method,

As for the legallity of this method, this is how it stands,

Live feeding is Legal, but only as a last resort before assist/force feeding, But if frowned upon by AR and RSPCA,(these will try to prosecute you)

But you are at a bit of a dilema, as they will try to prosecute for 2 reasons,

1. cruelty to live rodent - when feeding live
2. cruelty to snake - if left to starve and die

therefore if you are going to feed live, you must do it in the privacy of you own home, without an audience and do not go advetising that you are doing it, Also DO NOT leave unattended, and only leave live food in fo 15 - 30 minute period, and remove sooner if you see the food attacking the snake

If this still does not work, then it may mean you have to assist/force feed you snake, but this MUST be at the last resort stage, once you snake hasnt been eating for over 6 - 12 months, and would be advisable to get some one who knows what they are doing to assist you, as it can be very daunting for you to do it, But i must warn you this will be very stressful for the snake as well.

I will just state these are tried and tested methods of various members and keepers,

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
Just one point to clear up, which is the issue of live feeding.
I have discussed this with the RSPCA, and they would not prosecute, or try to, if you were feeding live providing it was done in a controlled manner and done to prevent the snake from starving. The only offence is causing suffering to an animal. Their veiw is that as long as this is done as a last resort, and all other methods have been tried first, then this is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
brilliant thread, will try some of the tips, my adult corn not eaten for about 5/6 weeks now

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have discussed this with the RSPCA, and they would not prosecute, or try to, if you were feeding live providing it was done in a controlled manner and done to prevent the snake from starving. The only offence is causing suffering to an animal. Their veiw is that as long as this is done as a last resort, and all other methods have been tried first, then this is not an issue.
Well theres nothing the muppets can do cos its not against the law to live feed!!!

tigger79, very good and very informative piece you wrote there.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to get into arguements but when you approach them with a specific question like that, they are going to give out statements that sound good, but behind the scenes, even if you are doing it as a last resort, they have hidden agendas, hence why i state it is legal but they frown upon it.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can i say that if you take it for a run in the car, put it in the boot, carefully jammed in so it cant slide around. brilliant tips by the way.
doesnt matter where you put the box, mine either go on the front seat or in the back passenger and are strapped in using the seat belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my wife has just brought a crimson cornsnake on saturday and it does'nt seem to want to eat and my wife will not contemplate forse feeding as the snake is only a baby i was just wondering if to monitor the snake as you suggested and then try feeding it in another couple of days.
Any suggestions would be most helpful

·
Registered
83 Posts
burm not feeding

Hi Alfie is 12 weeks old and we got him 2 weeks ago and it's 3 weeks since he fed the breeder said he had eaten, he is very lively and sociable. My son reckons he will have to force feed if he doesnt eat soon but I would hate to stress the little guy out in any way, How long should I leave him, my son works with reptiles so he has to force feed a lot of snakes but I think he will be ok for a bit .

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Alfie is 12 weeks old and we got him 2 weeks ago and it's 3 weeks since he fed the breeder said he had eaten, he is very lively and sociable. My son reckons he will have to force feed if he doesnt eat soon but I would hate to stress the little guy out in any way, How long should I leave him, my son works with reptiles so he has to force feed a lot of snakes but I think he will be ok for a bit .

Cheers
firstly what type of snake is alfie, 3 weeks is nothing for a snake not to feed,

then check that all the temps and husbandry are correct, that the snake isnt in shed, then

i would advise to leave the snake alone for a week, only go into the viv to change water every couple of days, then offer a food item, if the snake doesnt feed leave food over night and remove if he doesnt eat, if he doesnt eat try again a week later, if he still doesnt eat then try the tips stated above,

force/assist feeding should be done as a last resort and this is when the snake hasnt eaten for a period of time and is drasticly losing weight,

·
Registered
83 Posts
thanks

Thank you for all your tips on feeding . Alfie is still not interesterd on foor we bought him a chick and rubbed the fuzzy in it and tried to assist feed him, we put the fuzzy into his mouth and he would not take it, his temp are ok his is very lively his skin is ok but not interested at all. we will take him to the vets next week if it continiues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes Alfie is a burmese python, we have left him alone and not handled him , we spoke to friend who has a reptile shop in wigan and he reckons Alfie is only about 4 weeks old, so we will continue just leaving food for him we are wondering if the little fella has ever eaten since birth even though the breeder told us he had , but with 15 hatchlings I am sure he may no have fed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
With some tiny snakes, especially our teeny tiny house snake, we've been cutting pinkies into quarters or thirds before defrosting them, otherwise they are too big for him to manage, and a mouse tail doesn't seem to have very much nutrition in it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks so much for the above thread i used some of your tips where my royal was concerned and it worked!!! im so happy as i was begining to worry about her, I have adjusted her temps and raised hummidty a bit, left her alone and didnt fuss over her for about 10 days offered her a smaller feed than usual with a nice big cut in its head and TAR DAR she chowed down!!

Thanks again im very grateful.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I'd just like to add. When my snakes stopped eating after a mite infestation, I used reptiboost in their water, obviously this isn't a substitute for food, but it contains some nutrients that they wouldn't otherwise have had any access to, and I also feel it whet their appetite a bit, as next feeding attempt, they both ate greedily (smaller mice than usual). But great thread, I always enjoy reading "what if" information. It just makes it that bit easier when you encounter problems.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a royal that had to be assist fed, on advice of the vet. She was assist fed twice. On the 3rd occassion she stike fed and has had 4 successful strike feeds since. :2thumb:She is approx a foot long and 3 months old. I bathe her every other day, except days after feeding. I handle her regularly, again except after feeding. My problem is, now I am getting food in her, nothing is coming out the other end. She has had about 7 fluffs now. She had a small movement during an assist shed 2 weeks ago, and I found a small wee capsule yesterday.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
When i was at college, (was like 12 years ago) one of their snakes hadn't eaten for weeks and using suitable glove and long tweezer implement we were taught to wind the snake up slightly by waving a pinky in front of it till it attacked it and ate it. Then it ate fine after that.
Don't know if this is what u r suppose to do, but that was what we were shown at the time.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a royal that had to be assist fed, on advice of the vet. She was assist fed twice. On the 3rd occassion she stike fed and has had 4 successful strike feeds since. :2thumb:She is approx a foot long and 3 months old. I bathe her every other day, except days after feeding. I handle her regularly, again except after feeding. My problem is, now I am getting food in her, nothing is coming out the other end. She has had about 7 fluffs now. She had a small movement during an assist shed 2 weeks ago, and I found a small wee capsule yesterday.
Any ideas?

can i just ask how often you are feeding the snake, also if you are only feeding small meals, the snake will absorb the majority of it and there will be no waste to come out the other end,

another thing, there is no need to bath snake every other day, and if feeding has been an issue you shouldnt really handle until feeding has gone back to a proper routine and the snake is happy.

When i was at college, (was like 12 years ago) one of their snakes hadn't eaten for weeks and using suitable glove and long tweezer implement we were taught to wind the snake up slightly by waving a pinky in front of it till it attacked it and ate it. Then it ate fine after that.
Don't know if this is what u r suppose to do, but that was what we were shown at the time.
This is NOT the way to do it, yes wiggle the food in front of the snake, if no reaction within a few seconds then just place food in fornt of hide and leave for 24 hours, if not taken dispose of it, leave for 5-10 days (depending on age of snake), then try again.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts