Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im new to the forum and my Rock Python has mites. Is there a quick way to rid my snake of these pests?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Most people will reccommend frontline... normally used on cats & dogs but works wonders with ur rep as well :wink:

Search frontline on the snake section there must be hundreds of posts on it

G

·
davebehave said:
or theres veg oil for a cheaper option, make sure u give the tank a good scrub :D
veg oil?? never heard of this one before...how you do it??
bath them in it lol or wipe on???
or deep fat fry??

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Wipe the oil in a thin layer over their scales; it cuts off the air supply to the mites, mites die and ker-ching!! Problem solved. Additionally vegetable, olive oil etc is far less likely to cause a reaction than mite medications so can be safely used around the eyes and mouth (if you can get the snake to stay stil long enough!)

·
Registered
290 Posts
isnt oil ment to cause big probs with shedding tho?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I've not heard of that... maybe if it's not washed off properly it can leave the skin too soft to pull away, though? Hmm. Gives me something to think about anyway!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
frontline worked for me but i also used it on the viv aswell most people will say that you need to use sumthin else on the viv but i tried frontline as i got a huge bottle from the vets as they didnt have any small ones and i havnt seen one since just remember you have to leave the snake out of the viv for 12 hours after treatin it hope it works :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I tried using Terra Rex but it failed and my red sided Garter died during the summer

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
whatever you choose make sure you treat the viv again a second time after a couple of weeks because the eggs will hatch and youll have mites again. :twisted:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts