·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im new to snakes

i no of them i no a few species of snakes

what i want to no

what is best for a learner?

also how big it would grow and what viv it needed?

i dont want anyhting that grows over 6 ish foot!

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
What sort of body shape are you happy with? You have, with your requests, a fair few choices - but if we know what sort of snake you'd like we can make better suggestions.

If you're interested in slender, active snakes, try a corn or one of the european/asian rat snake species like the Russian Rats.

If you're interested in a heavy-bodied, slow snake, you're pretty much limited to royal pythons (and I don't personally think they're ideal for someone who's never had a reptile, though I can see you've got a couple and you're probably better equipped to deal with 'arrgh, won't eat!' than a complete reptile newbie).

If you want something heavy-bodied but able to be quick, maybe a Colombian Rainbow Boa or one of the dwarf boas would be good?

It also depends on how much money you want to spend, of course :)

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
i would say go for a royal a nice length nice body shape/weight! aslong as you get a cb with decent feeding records and read up or find out here about temps etc then go for it!!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
i would say go for a royal a nice length nice body shape/weight! aslong as you get a cb with decent feeding records and read up or find out here about temps etc then go for it!!
Would completely agree with this: victory:. I also think that the problem with royals being feeders is greatly exaggerated-as long as you get one with decent feeding records then you should be fine...
Hope this helps!
Ben

·
Registered
265 Posts
again i have to agree royals are great make sure you get a captive bred one maybe off someone on here who breeds them steveL has some for sale i think. I wouldnt get one from a pet shop as most are captive farmed and thats where you get problem feeders from. A word of warning though once you get a snake you cant have just one you say you wont and say im not going to want another thats what i said when i got my first now i have 11 snakes and im picking two more up on sunday i am well and truly addicted. Rick

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah well im gettin 2 more geckos this weekend also looking into a Bosc! lol!

I was thinkign a royal python but i wanted keep my options open etc!

How much am i looking for a Royal Python?

what size viv would it need?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
yeah well im gettin 2 more geckos this weekend also looking into a Bosc! lol!

I was thinkign a royal python but i wanted keep my options open etc!

How much am i looking for a Royal Python?

what size viv would it need?
for a normal CB anywhere between £30-£100 depending where you go, shops are more expensive
For a hatchling a faurnarium or 9L RUB is good, when adult a 3x2x2 viv is good.
As already said, try to get one with good feeding records and watch it feed before buying if possible.

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Do lots of research, read care sheets, books anything you can get your hands on really. Thats the main bit of advice i can give you about starting to keep snakes.

I keep corns and would say there a perfect first timer snake as so many people will agree.

Thats why their so popular, colourful, easier to care for than most other snakes and the lower end morphs are cheap too.

Make sure you get one from a good breeder or reptile shop who keep records of feeds and sheds etc.

Good luck : victory:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long do corn snakes grow?

Im more thinking royal python, so im going to start reading up on them :)

and maybe invest in a viv for one :)

Thanks for the advice people :)

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Corn snake get about 4-5 ft, thoguh some could get to 6ft, females are usually bigger than males.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Corn snake get about 4-5 ft, thoguh some could get to 6ft, females are usually bigger than males.
yes...if you type corn snakes in google images you will see some, and also the good thing about them there are loads of ...diffrent colours...morphs...so there will be some you love :D
Also there are small species of Pythons that get about 4ft max, childrens pythons, spotted pythons are the common small pythons, then you get Royal Pythons, can be a pain when eating, and some are not so bad, they average around 4.5ft, and are chunky snakes, and CAN get 6ft also. But not commonly seen. That would be a MAX size usually.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
vivs, well a 3x2x2 would house a royal python adult, and it would also house a corn snake adult, BUT REMEMBER you cant put them together...but that size viv would house 1 of the above snakes. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts