Reptile Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
I have no idea, I was just speaking in general. :)
And yes all of my snakes are active, they will take advantage of any oppurtunities, including my burmese python who will also climb our nearby trees when the weather allows. BTW this is also a snake, many say don't climb ;)

Like my sand boa. It climbs when out of the viv. Though it didn’t ever use the stuff I put in the viv :(. But when out its really active. I think most animals will climb if given the chance. Most just aren’t. like my horned frog. Despite having a reputation for sitting in a hole not doing anything mine is often out at night and even tries to climb on the log.

Basilisks can run across water? when has anyone ever actually seen that in captivity? ;) you would be looking at enclosures bigger than zoological type setups. : victory:
As it happens I have, when I first left school (unceremoniously kicked out to be more accurate) I went to work at the Cotswold Wildlife Life Park. They set up a large (huge) exhibition for plumed basilisks and caiman; they wondered why the basilisks kept diapering! Then one day one day whilst I was watching a visitor knocked on the glass and started a basilisks which promptly legged it across the water, most impressive. Not quite as impressive as the jaws that emerged out of the water and into which the basilisk disappeared…..!!

As it happens I have, when I first left school (unceremoniously kicked out to be more accurate) I went to work at the Cotswold Wildlife Life Park. They set up a large (huge) exhibition for plumed basilisks and caiman; they wondered why the basilisks kept diapering! Then one day one day whilst I was watching a visitor knocked on the glass and started a basilisks which promptly legged it across the water, most impressive. Not quite as impressive as the jaws that emerged out of the water and into which the basilisk disappeared…..!!
Now that made me laugh :2thumb::no1::lol2:

iv had vivs in the past now i tend to go for the rack setup, very easy to keep clean nice and dark at the back plenty of room to thermo regulate and all in all the snakes feed each and every time in my opinion that would be a happy snake !! granted there on less floor space than if i was to house them in a viv. it has already been said that a tub where a snake can touch a couple of sides is bound to feel safe and secure if not im sure they would stop feeding.

i can understand peoples sides to the story though.

also i noticed the picture of BHBs large retic on the rack, i personaly have spoke to brian about this and he did purchase a large viv stack for this snake and others, the one in the rack flat out refused to feed once housed in a viv and after a while was returned to her rack where she got right back on the food.

I keep my colubrids in 33ltr RUBs and my Carpet Pythons in Vivariums. I have some young colubrids and carpets in 9ltr RUBs but they'll be moved into bigger things when they get older.

All have hiding places in the 'hot' and 'cold' ends. The carpets have things to climb on, including the youngsters in the 9ltr RUBs.

I check them all 2-3 times a week when I spot clean, change water and feed. If any of them look 'active' then I'll take the snake out and handle it wants to come out.... Unless it's one of my grumpy Jungle carpets. That usually starts with 'evils' and ends with me leaving the room :lol2:

I have no problems with people using racks when as has already been said, appropriate size enclosures are used.

personally I wouldn't house my snakes in racks. All my enclosures are on display in my living room, and I enjoy seeing them out and about, having a climb when they feel like it. I just personally don't see the appeal in keeping snakes in a rack where you can't easily see them. To me it kind of defeats the objective of having them, but then again I am not a breeder so my animals are display animals.

I like them because they are good for that inbetween stage in the snakeses growthing. When they outgrow the smaller tubs, but aren't ready for adult sized vivs. Also they are super easy to clean and stack and that.

I don't normally comment on these 'RUB/rack threads' as it's same old same old.

My personal opinion is the bigger the better, and none of my snakes are kept in smaller than 6x3x3 enclosures with plenty of climbing..... although a racking system would be fine for housing hatchlings

However, big breeders using racking systems has got to be expected. People want to pay the lowest possible price they can for the most part. Breeders housing their snakes in large naturalistic environments would be limited in the amount of snakes they could keep and breed from, cost more in intial set ups and cost more to heat overall.

So it could be fair to say that those of you who buy from big breeders at low prices are contributing to the RUB and rack culture!

This statement makes no sense….?
My apologies... It's awfully presumptuous of me to think that like the rest of the world, pet shops in the UK sell standard size enclosures such as 4x2x2 or 3x2x2 or 4x2x1.5, etc.... With the 4x2x2 being the most popular size driven by pet stores.

The confusion may lay in myself not knowing that in some places in the world you may be able to buy enclosures in pet shops by the yard or inches or even fathoms and they are just simply cut to order.

Again I apologies for the statement not making sense....

All reptiles deserve to be provided with an enclosure that allows them to explore, choose where to hide, lay in the open, bathe if desired and CLIMB. Given the chance they will try this out. They don't want to spend their entire life chasing their tail which just about all a RUB allows. These are all beautiful animals and we owe it to them to provide them with as much room and keep it as natural as possible for them. After all you wouldn't keep a pet Labrador in a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft viv or a rabbit in a 50ltr RUB.
That's my opinion anyway :)

Reactions: That guy and befxxx
From what I gather the 50ltr RUBs seem a popular size for the likes of corns, kings and milks. The external dimensions are 28x17x9" yet when buying a Viv for any of the above species the smallest one normally sees recommended is 36" which will be at least 12" wide and same again in height often more. If the RUB is an acceptable size then why aren't smaller vivs recommended for the common colorbrid species?

My apologies... It's awfully presumptuous of me to think that like the rest of the world, pet shops in the UK sell standard size enclosures such as 4x2x2 or 3x2x2 or 4x2x1.5, etc.... With the 4x2x2 being the most popular size driven by pet stores.

The confusion may lay in myself not knowing that in some places in the world you may be able to buy enclosures in pet shops by the yard or inches or even fathoms and they are just simply cut to order.

Again I apologies for the statement not making sense....
This makes even less sense than your last statement…..!!

Incidentally the 4x2x2 is not numerically the most commonly sold vivarium in the UK.

All reptiles deserve to be provided with an enclosure that allows them to explore, choose where to hide, lay in the open, bathe if desired and CLIMB. Given the chance they will try this out. They don't want to spend their entire life chasing their tail which just about all a RUB allows. These are all beautiful animals and we owe it to them to provide them with as much room and keep it as natural as possible for them. After all you wouldn't keep a pet Labrador in a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft viv or a rabbit in a 50ltr RUB.
That's my opinion anyway :)
I 100% agree with everything you said, apart from the last bit, if there is to be a justification for not using a rub, comparing reptiles to mammals wont be it, there are some massive differences in terms of physiology, biology, and anatomy to reptiles and mammals, and their behaviors and habits (energy sources too) and comparing living areas of reptiles to mammals is always murky and moot and it really tells us nothing.

The way I look at it, you can't argue with millions of years of evolution and it is as simple as that, it also comes down to what the keeper will want out of it, for example.

I do co-habs with my snakes (some keepers will frown on this) but my argument is this, I would much prefer to put my snakes together, in a larger more spacious area, with plants, foilage, decor and multiple hiding areas and be able to see them, allowing them excersize, enrichment, the choice to be where they want to be, than I would keeping them in a very small, boring, sterile enviroment, where I can see them exploring, (those who have so far disagreed with my co-habs interestingly have been mostly the ones who keep in rubs) I have yet to hear a well reasoned and constructed argument to the above point though. And again this is my choice, and it is something I get out of it, enjoy and get to see my animals utalising that space, they are oppurtunists, just like every other animal from my observations, and they will take advantage of the things you provide them with (leaf litter) hides, boxes, branches what-ever, but there is differences in how they conserve energy, and put it to use, they are not as active as a dog or cat would be, so comparing the two together and using that anology doesn't really give much, to take that argument to it's extreme if we were to compare them, many cat and dog owners allow them to free roam, if we took that logic then we should all allow our reptiles to free roam ;)

I don't normally comment on these 'RUB/rack threads' as it's same old same old.

My personal opinion is the bigger the better, and none of my snakes are kept in smaller than 6x3x3 enclosures with plenty of climbing..... although a racking system would be fine for housing hatchlings

However, big breeders using racking systems has got to be expected. People want to pay the lowest possible price they can for the most part. Breeders housing their snakes in large naturalistic environments would be limited in the amount of snakes they could keep and breed from, cost more in intial set ups and cost more to heat overall.

So it could be fair to say that those of you who buy from big breeders at low prices are contributing to the RUB and rack culture!
I 100% agree with everything you said, apart from the last bit, if there is to be a justification for not using a rub, comparing reptiles to mammals wont be it, there are some massive differences in terms of physiology, biology, and anatomy to reptiles and mammals, and their behaviors and habits (energy sources too) and comparing living areas of reptiles to mammals is always murky and moot and it really tells us nothing.

The way I look at it, you can't argue with millions of years of evolution and it is as simple as that, it also comes down to what the keeper will want out of it, for example.

I do co-habs with my snakes (some keepers will frown on this) but my argument is this, I would much prefer to put my snakes together, in a larger more spacious area, with plants, foilage, decor and multiple hiding areas and be able to see them, allowing them excersize, enrichment, the choice to be where they want to be, than I would keeping them in a very small, boring, sterile enviroment, where I can see them exploring, (those who have so far disagreed with my co-habs interestingly have been mostly the ones who keep in rubs) I have yet to hear a well reasoned and constructed argument to the above point though. And again this is my choice, and it is something I get out of it, enjoy and get to see my animals utalising that space, they are oppurtunists, just like every other animal from my observations, and they will take advantage of the things you provide them with (leaf litter) hides, boxes, branches what-ever, but there is differences in how they conserve energy, and put it to use, they are not as active as a dog or cat would be, so comparing the two together and using that anology doesn't really give much, to take that argument to it's extreme if we were to compare them, many cat and dog owners allow them to free roam, if we took that logic then we should all allow our reptiles to free roam ;)
Would be really interested to know who Co-habs work and how often to you occur any issues to may arise? Would love be able to house my snakes together but would worry that harm would befall one

Would be really interested to know who Co-habs work and how often to you occur any issues to may arise? Would love be able to house my snakes together but would worry that harm would befall one
I don't co-hab burmese pythons together, because if something happend, I probably couldn't do anything about it being a skinny minny and that isn't wise.

Most of my lizards are co-habbed together, (depending on their individual personalities) iguanas etc, while some live separately. :)

Snake wise, corn snakes, royals, pines, I have done various boas before, BRB's, CRB's common boas etc, garter snakes. etc

I only encounterd one problem once, and it was because I had just separated them for feeding, and went to put them back in too soon without thinking, scent of mice still on them, caused them to start trying to munch each other, but were easily separated, since then I decided to leave them 24 hours before putting them back in together, no problems since. : victory:

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.