Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im building a rack soon and i was gona use melimine but all i can find is chip board and that wont hold together to well what else could i use and is heat cable ok thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
i use play for alot of my racks and heat cable is perfect dont forget to use heat reflective tape aswel

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
im making the tubs lidless so ply wouldent be any good also where do you put the reflective tape
u need to cut a channel into the wood the line it with reflective tape, and then put in you heat cable and put sum more reflective tape ontop of it will work a charm. if you are making it lidless then conti board is perfect b&q selling and almost all other wood shops

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
u need to cut a channel into the wood the line it with reflective tape, and then put in you heat cable and put sum more reflective tape ontop of it will work a charm. if you are making it lidless then conti board is perfect b&q selling and almost all other wood shops

what is conti board sorry for sounding thick and we only have jewson and focas but focas is very expensive in jewsons its 9.91 for a board of melimine chipboard 1830mmx610mm but dident think chipboard would screw together very well

·
Registered
188 Posts
White laminated chipboard is quite cheap from most DIY stores and its easy to clean. The other way is to find someone who is getting rid of an old wordrobe eg friends or freeads then use the doors for shelving.

·
Registered
210 Posts
awwww man when i saw the title "snake rack" i thought i was gonna seee some snake boobies

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
if you go on jnb boas and go on boa care page theres a full example and price list on building racks including pics

·
Registered
6 Posts
melamine conti board and white faced board are all the same mate its just white laminated chipboard pilot drill the holes first before screwing it together to stop it splitin

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
15mm contiboard 33L rack...

pilot hole and countersink first, and use narrow guage (3.5mm) screws
will be fine...
this may sound daft but i was using 15mm melimine chipboard what size counter sink would i need and what lenth screws would be best also should i use glue to help hold it together better thanks for you help so far

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
why cant you use ply with lidless??.. i am.. :whistling2:
will need sealing with something like yacht varnish...
each to their own eh?

·
Registered
344 Posts
this may sound daft but i was using 15mm melimine chipboard what size counter sink would i need and what lenth screws would be best also should i use glue to help hold it together better thanks for you help so far
your only counter sinking so the screw head sits flush with the wood.. i'd use 2" screws and yes i would use wood glue, you would be suprised how strong it is.

when routering you would have to check how thick the heat cable is

(where is heat cable available from anyway?)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
your only counter sinking so the screw head sits flush with the wood.. i'd use 2" screws and yes i would use wood glue, you would be suprised how strong it is.

when routering you would have to check how thick the heat cable is

(where is heat cable available from anyway?)
Your local B&Q or garden centre will sell it. It's generally a yellow round cable that is used for heating the soil so it's waterproof. It's available in different wattages and lengths.

If you aren't going to have all the shelves on at the same time it would be worth while getting several shorter lengths and plug them all into a plug board and then plug that into your thermostat. Then if you have some empty tubs you can unplug the shelves that aren't in use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts