Reptile Forums banner

snake rack/ reptile room

549 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  josh28 
#1 ·
I have recently built a plastic snake rack as I am planning on breeding royals this year and in the future I have my rack on heat cable and a thermo pro 2 day/night stat and all my temps are holding well. The only problem I have is my rack is in a warmer room at my partners house im planning to move my rack back to my house as my collection expands the racks will be in my loft conversion (soon to be snake room) and as anyone with a loft conversion will know they are boiling in summer and freezing in winter. Im just looking for anyones imput as to how to heat the room I winter (fairly cheap) and how to keep it cool in the summer pics would help to! Thankyou.

#5 ·
Great sounds simply enough is this good at keeping the heat in as the room can get down to 10 degrees C at night i will stiil have a heater on a stat but unsure of best heater to buy to heat the room and one that is economical thankyou

#6 ·
I think the only problem you'd have with it is the temps in the summer. It is hard (from what i have seen) to keep rooms cold in the summer months (as all of the posts on here during the summer months say).
If you could find out how hot it would actually get during the summer months (I'm not saying this would be easy or possible).
I would take it from there as air conditioners are expensive to buy and run and are the only effective way to ensure that a room stays 'cool'.

#9 ·
my livingroom only gets to 27/8c in summer but i saw a dramastic change in my boa, got really pee'd off and struck a lot with the heat. id definatley be looking into something to keep it cool in those months, especially if your insulating for winter x

#7 ·
An oil heater/rad would probably be best for winter months but I have an electrical heater with an on/off thermostat built in so it keeps the room a certain temp, this is also an air con fan and can set the temps low in the summer. I got 2 of them from lidl's about £20 each. Will be going for an oil heater for winter tho as they are cheaper to run.

#8 ·
Yes ive been looking at a oil radiator online its mainly keeping the temps up in winter in summer It does get hot but not to the extreme its just their ambient temps that will go up thus they wont have a very cool side thanks for your input helps alot :2thumb:

#10 ·
Yeah I will defiantly have the appropriate heating/cooling for the room before any snakes go in. I may not need the insulation with a good heater but will have to sort the cooling for summer out. Anyone have any brands or types of heaters they have used?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.