Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

Have always fancied a paludarium to keep some small fish and an a reptile together. Ideally a snake.

So ... I haven't kept a snake before. I do have a bearded dragon that I've had 5 years and also a 1,000L aquarium (20yrs +). So very familiar with fish keeping and dragons!

In the video for this paludarium, they house a green tree python:

https://www.reptilecentre.com/zoo-m..._medium=shopping&utm_campaign=merchant-centre

Having researched them a little I see that they are not beginner snakes are are very expensive.

Can anyone recommend a beginner snake that could live in a paludarium please.

If there aren't any, or you would strongly advise against, let me know and I'll have a rethink!

Many thanks

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
A group of garter snakes?

Edit: just seen the link you posted, obviously wrong size and shape for garters but if you went for a bigger tank with more floor space then garters would work.

Think it was Stu.G or his brother did a huge garter tank with water and live plants. Will see if I can find the posts.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would strongly advise against the idea I can not think of a single species of snake that does not require some ground space which is not water.

Look on the Green Tree python fb pages and you will find that although GTP,s require high humidity they need this in a cycle so that over 24hrs the humidity would drop from 80/90 percent to 50/60 This is almost impossible to achieve in an unmodified glass viv. If you kept a GTP in that set up with that pony reptile fogger I would be surprised if it lasted a month without getting an RI.
I know you said you would not go down the GTP road, but if you did decided to in the future a pvc cage or large tall plastic tub is the way forward bud.

Garter snakes / North American water snakes are good beginner species but you would need to provide a dry area on the ground for them.

Hope that helps Mick : victory:

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Greetings

Have always fancied a paludarium to keep some small fish and an a reptile together. Ideally a snake.

So ... I haven't kept a snake before. I do have a bearded dragon that I've had 5 years and also a 1,000L aquarium (20yrs +). So very familiar with fish keeping and dragons!

In the video for this paludarium, they house a green tree python:

https://www.reptilecentre.com/zoo-m..._medium=shopping&utm_campaign=merchant-centre

Having researched them a little I see that they are not beginner snakes are are very expensive.

Can anyone recommend a beginner snake that could live in a paludarium please.

If there aren't any, or you would strongly advise against, let me know and I'll have a rethink!

Many thanks
Is that the exact size you're after? If so, it's too small for amazon tree boas, green tree python's, emerald tree boas etc.

Can you find a terrestrial paludarium? If so, I'd also recommend garter snakes (arboreal setup not suitable for them) . Although be careful with what fish you keep with them as they do eat them and some are not good for them.

'recommended beginner snake' is a matter of opinion, I personally don't believe amazon's, green trees etc are suitable for beginners but others may disagree. I'd be tempted to say other arboreal snakes but I genuinely can not think of any that would be classed as beginner. Of course, if you did tonnes of research on a particular species then it would certainly help.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you have decent air circulation and a couple of shelves you may be able to house green snakes little arboreal cricket eaters.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Here is a photo of a garter set up I had for a couple of years

The land area was completely dry, the tank was custom built and had great ventilation.

Other species I’d happily keep in a similar set up would be any of the natrix sub-species, ATB’s, Rhino rat snakes, barons racers etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for the very helpful replies.

It may be a bit too challenging to try and combine the rainforest, aquarium and snake in a paludarium for a beginner.

I really like the idea of the tall rainforest with a mister. Would work well with where I have in mind. I'll have a think about whether to stick to that idea and consider frogs or geckos instead of the snake ... or think about dropping the aquarium idea, go for a dry substrate and focus on a snake.

thanks again

·
Registered
221 Posts
In that vivmate I’d be inclined to go frog /fish.in my experience you need to either plan entirely around one species and give them all they need or use very hardy common species of plants and animals and give them maybe a little more space than they need. A good setup that size I would forget heat concentrate on great lighting and landscaping then use tiny bromeliads/orchids and aquatic mosses filter the aquatic section then use a handful of easy species anoles easy thumbnail frogs geckos (only one of these) then easy fish like handful of mountain minnows or a fighter fish or couple of gourami. Garters are great but no good for that setup they’ll eat your fish they are very active need far more land than ware and shit for England. Good garter set up would be same as grass snake pond big planted area basking spot hiding spot. Looking 3-4 foot min to make it look natural and convincing. If tried numerous paludariums but they never work out unless they’re massive or kept with very limited easy species

·
Banned
2 Posts
In that vivmate I’d be inclined to go frog /fish.in my experience you need to either plan entirely around one species and give them all they need or use very hardy common species of plants and animals and give them maybe a little more space than they need. A good setup that size I would forget heat concentrate on great lighting and landscaping then use tiny bromeliads/orchids and aquatic mosses filter the aquatic section then use a handful of easy species anoles easy thumbnail frogs geckos (only one of these) then easy fish like handful of mountain minnows or a fighter fish or couple of gourami. Garters are great but no good for that setup they’ll eat your fish they are very active need far more land than ware and shit for England. Good garter set up would be same as grass snake pond big planted area basking spot hiding spot. Looking 3-4 foot min to make it look natural and convincing. If tried numerous paludariums but they never work out unless they’re massive or kept with very limited easy species
it’s always a better plan to give them a little bit more space because the more they have the happier they are

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
it’s always a better plan to give them a little bit more space because the more they have the happier they are
There is no evidence that space equals happy snake.
Oh I don't know Ian, I think some reptiles really show their emotions. Our old female European Green lizard must have always been happy as she seemed to always be smiling

..... I'll get my coat :whistling2:

Attachments

·
Banned
2 Posts
Oh I don't know Ian, I think some reptiles really show their emotions. Our old female European Green lizard must have always been happy as she seemed to always be smiling

..... I'll get my coat :whistling2:
is it just me or attached pictures aren’t appearing for everyone?

·
Super Moderator
16,968 Posts
How are you viewing the forum, via a web browser, on PC or mobile ?
Don't worry about it - they are one of 'those' that quote an incomplete line of another user's reply and then after a couple of posts a link to a website appears in their signature usually non-reptile related :devil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts