Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
surely a snake specie's reputation is there for a reason?

or do you feel it is the type of owners that create the bad reputations?. the ones unable to work with the species and provide the attention they need. in return creating a bad outcome and giving it a bad reputation?
that would summ up regius and there so called bad feeding reputation!

burms, surely they ARE the most placid of the 5 largest/longest.
etc
etc

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
i suppose in some cases, but most snakes with reputations are not kept by many, and if they were more people owning them then im sure they will find that their reputation is undeserved: victory:

·
Registered
385 Posts
take a look at the latest snakebytes.tv eppisode on youtube the guys are usually muppets they generally have a good point to get across

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
surely a snake specie's reputation is there for a reason?

or do you feel it is the type of owners that create the bad reputations?. the ones unable to work with the species and provide the attention they need. in return creating a bad outcome and giving it a bad reputation?
that would summ up regius and there so called bad feeding reputation!
So what you're saying is, anyone who's had problems with non feeding royals' husbandry is sub-optimum? Let the flaming commence.

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i suppose in some cases, but most snakes with reputations are not kept by many, and if they were more people owning them then im sure they will find that their reputation is undeserved: victory:
but if a minority owned them the majority would have the same outcome, just in larger number?

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what you're saying is, anyone who's had problems with non feeding royals' husbandry is sub-optimum? Let the flaming commence.
im basically saying, a lot regius owners seem to jump in and assume there's a feeding problem. thus creating the bad reputation.

a snake specie wouldnt starve itself to death.

its hype

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
something tells me this is going to be a LONG thread : victory:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
take scrubs 4 example, they hav a bad reputation yet i hav never come across an untame 1 yet!! its the people hu dont hav any experience with the particular snake that label it to be agressive.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
im basically saying, regius owners seem to jump in and assume there's a feeding problem.
fasting etc is natural to them.
I don't think you're helping yourself. I'm sure most of the experienced owners and keepers on here are quite able to tell the difference. But your second sentence has just answered your own question.

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think you're helping yourself. I'm sure most of the experienced owners and keepers on here are quite able to tell the difference. But your second sentence has just answered your own question.
it makes it not a problem then doesnt it.

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
take scrubs 4 example, they hav a bad reputation yet i hav never come across an untame 1 yet!! its the people hu dont hav any experience with the particular snake that label it to be agressive.
but youll also come across someone with the oppasite veiws.

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is the keepers experience in the equation when they decide to give out reputations for animals?
would an experienced keeper ever have a young snake and it turns out temperamental as it ages or stays as temperamental as it was when younger?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
2 b fair on boidae, allot of royal owners are beginners, hu buy them cuz they r cute and small without thinking about reserching there feeding habbits. the rep shop i work in is taking royals in left, right and center because of the amount of people hu dont hav a clue, then get rid wen they think theres something wrong.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
really?
dont get me wrong my scrubs are tame...but thats due to buying most from a young age...but i wouldnt go anywhere asnear as saying that.: victory:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
would an experienced keeper ever have a young snake and it turns out temperamental as it ages or stays as temperamental as it was when younger?

come again?

·
Registered
569 Posts
is the keepers experience in the equation when they decide to give out reputations for animals?
Temperaments are subject to change due to the amount of hours of work that are put into developing the attitude of the animal. Any experienced keeper would know that and would work towards improving the temperament rather than just allowing it to remain as the animal ages.

Alot of experienced keepers don't use the internet as readily as inexperienced keepers and it's usually inexperienced keeper's that make topics and discuss the attitudes of animals and listen to others opinions and reproduce them without having any experience with the species in general. Take African Rock Pythons for example you hear so many people saying that they're evil etc but don't have any experience with the animal and go by what others say.

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Temperaments are subject to change due to the amount of hours of work that are put into developing the attitude of the animal. Any experienced keeper would know that and would work towards improving the temperament rather than just allowing it to remain as the animal ages.

Alot of experienced keepers don't use the internet as readily as inexperienced keepers and it's usually inexperienced keeper's that make topics and discuss the attitudes of animals and listen to others opinions and reproduce them without having any experience with the species in general. Take African Rock Pythons for example you hear so many people saying that they're evil etc but don't have any experience with the animal and go by what others say.
through personal experience with african rocks they are harder to work with for a lot longer than green anacondas, ive only owned wild caughts of each though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts