Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can reccall seeing when i was young that snakes were sometimes transported in bags.

I can recall seeing a snake show at my school where a guy pulled a snake out of a bag. Is this safe for the snake?

Does anyone here transport there snake in some sort of bag?

What about a pillow case tied up properly?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid but i'm just curious. :???:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
depending on the size of the snake bags are probably the safest way. any people put the snake in a bag, and then into a poly box to conserve heat during transit.

a pillowcases may be ok, but if the snake is quite large, the stiching may not be strong enough.

cavas bags are ok, but the scales of the snake can occasionally get caught on the canvas.

hessin bags are a big NO-NO they have fibres that can cause a RI (respatory infection)

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
quite alot of people use pillow cases yeh. For transport why dont you use a box? Plastic box?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I've always used a pillowcase inside a plastic box for heat conservaion, remember to drill air holes though.
In the box not the pillow case.:lol2:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I use all the general bed linen. Starting with pillow cases and going up to the biggest duvet case. Anything other than a pillow case gets put through a sewing machine for an extra row of stitching.

·
Registered
194 Posts
this is going to sound really stupid but I have to ask...how do you secure the pillowcase??? do you just tie a decent knot in the top or what???

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
yeh, you ever seen the Steve Irwin episodes, he did it all the time.:)
.R.I.P Steve Irwin.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
There are several methods, depending on your mood :lol2:

You can tie a knot in the bag, scrunch it together and tape it up or put string round it. You can use an elastic band aswell.

Either way the best thing to do if your not putting a knot in the bag is to scrunch it up and then fold over the top bit before securing it.

Also, before securing it make sure the animal hasn't tried to come out again. The last thing you want to do is tie it up in the knotted bit.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Thanks Reticulatus (I think I spelt that right) which method would you say is best for a 2ft nelsons?
You're welcome: victory:

I dont think it matters which you do as long as you ensure the snake isnt caught in the knot.
I usually go with a piece of tape around the top if i have some to hand.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks again! : victory: I'm always a bit paranoid about the snake pushing itself through the knot after I've tied it. So you wouldn't think there would be any problems with the snake somehow managing to get caught on the tape???

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
if any of my ones has to go on a trip i put them in a large cat basket case thing with something soft to lay on and crank the heating up in the car and kepp a thermostate in the car to to make sure it dosent get to hot in there :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts