Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,
My snake opens its mouth slightly and kind of does a snake like sneeze, I don't know if anyone has come across this, he shed yesterday, but I don't think thats any relevance.
Hes a pueblan milk snake, adult, male he is about 4 ish I think
Gemma

·
Registered
854 Posts
it can sometimes happen after shed ( blowing out shed ) what substrate you use ? i used wood chips but it was pretty dusty stuff ive now changed over and my snake stopped " sneezing"

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it can sometimes happen after shed ( blowing out shed ) what substrate you use ? i used wood chips but it was pretty dusty stuff ive now changed over and my snake stopped " sneezing"
Thanks for the that, just removed the last of the shed, and I use aspen (zoo med)
Gemma

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I was giving one of my snakes a bath (after a mite infestation) he got a bit of water in his nose and sneezed loads.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Just because a snake sneezes its not allways an RI, just like if i cough it doesnt mean i have TB, i personally would go with one of the other explinations.
i no thats why i put its just worth having a look at it just incase as you never know and its better to be safe than sorry :2thumb: these no point in me mentioning things it could be that has already been mentioned

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If it open its mouth and then sneezing is't that a sing of RI but if it is just sneezing thats normal is't it. correct me if i'm wrong.

Jack.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Firstly the guy is talking about a milk snake, these can and do experience a lower temperature's with no adverse effects both in the wild and in captivity. American colubrids are not generally known for contracting RI, unless a cross contamination from an allready infected snake. RI's are almost allways caused by poor husbandry in one way shape or form. I would not start throwing around the "check for RI" reply to a milk snake.
RI isnt as common as its portrayed on the forum.
Ill agree to be mindfull of such a problem but sometimes sugesting to somebody to check for it just because it sneezes could cause the OP to worry. Plus there are so many other reasons that a snake sneezes.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Firstly the guy is talking about a milk snake, these can and do experience a lower temperature's with no adverse effects both in the wild and in captivity. American colubrids are not generally known for contracting RI, unless a cross contamination from an allready infected snake. RI's are almost allways caused by poor husbandry in one way shape or form. I would not start throwing around the "check for RI" reply to a milk snake.
RI isnt as common as its portrayed on the forum.
Ill agree to be mindfull of such a problem but sometimes sugesting to somebody to check for it just because it sneezes could cause the OP to worry. Plus there are so many other reasons that a snake sneezes.
Its "sneezed" a few times today, but has stopped for the time being :)
Gemma

·
Registered
1 Posts
Snake sneezing normal?

so I just don't get it I guess and no one has really helped answer the questions. I have a 3 year old Taiwan Beauty rat snake and for the last year and a half she has been 'sneezing'. When I first got her it was here and there but nothing to worry about. I raised the temp and misted her cage once or twice a day for a while, and nothing changed. I had her on this dusty wood chip substance and thought that was what it was when I first got here, so I changed it to newspaper(what she is on now like all my other animals) and it sill has persisted. She eats very well, is alert and active, poops and sheds regularly, drinks water and soaks regularly too. I have also taken her to the vet because her sneezing was becoming what i thought to be louder and a harder sneeze. They gave me meds that I had to inject in her for 10 days that would have stopped any RI and make her healthy again, however it didn't do anything....I just don't understand what it could be. Even when I took her in they didn't see anything wrong with her....Can anyone help or have any advice?

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
i and a lot of other carpet keepers i know,stopped using aspen due to the dust content in it,causing mild respiratory symptoms in our carpet pythons

cheers shaun

·
Registered
468 Posts
I found one of my Hoggies would puff a lot when I was keeping him on a dusty substrate. I recently moved him over to lignocel (completely dust free, awesome stuff and the only puffing I get now are his hacked off huffs and puffs lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts