Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AS the title suggests - any ideas on what I can convert this two tier unit into? It was given to me by a guy who used to keep a beardie in the base unit and a chameleon in the upper part. As you can see the cat gives some form of scale. ( the cat is a big cat too!).

·
Registered
840 Posts
if your were to either make or get someone to make some custom backgrounds and sides you could always have a really nice................................................................................viv:whistling2:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
inspiration?

aMaZiNg replies - gee thanks folks...:lol2:
Rhys d - probably the top answer :notworthy:
Jena Rose - with such an artful name = I imagined a truely spectacular reply but I must award you the :no1: award of the 'bleeding obvious' I think it is called...

Lord Vetinari - your welcome to take it but I thought there would be plenty of thrown out flat-pack wardrobes and drawers etc in your neck of the woods - as everywhere else! :spam1: - but to you and the ever inventive and inspirational Baldpoodle - :devil: = Too many Bofires is too much POLLUTION anyway. I live around the corner from the RSPCA - but I'm sure you refering to the curtains ??? The cat is King of the Castle - a reincarnation of Lady Guineveres pussy itself I'm led to believe. It has an IQ of 298 btw.
Baldpoodles may be one thing but a bald cat ( notice how I didn't fall into the trap of saying 'bald pussy' !) would end up like one of these freaky things -
SPHINX.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Being creative and also looking at the tags at the bottom of the page. One of which being 'destroy'.

I would say yes you could probably convert it into an arboreal viv for a young arboreal snake but without the dimensions I can't say exactly.

To be honest with all the work and cost of glass etc it would take to convert it you may well be better off buying a new one. (that's what I'd do anyway). : victory:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If you gut the parting + glass turn it on its side, add 2-3" wood panel to top and bottom of opening..add runners and glass you'll have a decent size viv.
add more shelves/split it into sections, add runners and glass you'll have several small vivs...for babies or plus incubator.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Firstly : Chance " To be honest with all the work and cost of glass etc it would take to convert it you may well be better off buying a new one. (that's what I'd do anyway)." : victory:- the material of the unit is medical grade meloamine - - which is pretty tuff and 12mm thick or so. It is coated on both sides - Hummm nice...
I don't know how the word 'DESTROY' popped up into the tag section = ??? ( Hack-tivisim poss?). ( Destroy was a shop on Bold street once upon a time that sold things like Red or Dead fashion etc - long story a long time ago... anyways...)

Okay - so I cut through the old silicone to remove the backing and gave the shell a good thorough clean. I got a piece of OSB cut to size to replace the backing and whipped out the old paint cans, sprays and brushes. A good blast of music, ( Cocteau Twins, Grimes, Aphex twin etc ), a good few cups of Earl Grey and some choci ginger bics to dunk and came out with this rather Jackson Pollock like 'background' :

Jackson Pollock
the STONE ROSES

and... oh yeah ... er ... sorry... er ...

Moi

ROGUE665 - I like your suggestion - but I think I will keep it as an upright viv - it also conveniently fits nicely into an alcove - soi if my mate backs down from purchasing the final piece I can keep it a while to temp house an arboreal I suppose. Thankyou. More picks will follow over the next few days etc =

Folks please keep adding suggestions - thanks.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Remove the divider, get some branches, plants and vines etc. in there and it'd be perfect for a young carpet.

Reactions: KWIBEZEE

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Remove the divider, get some branches, plants and vines etc. in there and it'd be perfect for a young carpet.
( In a proper Mancunian accent : " Mate - what ya' banging on abowt? Am inta ROSES not car-pits!")

...And on a more serious note : what species of carpet would suit? My mate has an Amazon Tree Boa - which is what I was designing the whole project around. Anyone think this okay? Dimensions I will have to post tommorrow.

Yes - been thinking along those lines Adam :
I'm at this stage :

The lower division has been cut through leaving a portion with a scalloped edge to function as a ledge/split level.

To that edge I applied a good thick dollop of Nutella: :whistling2:

And into it I then pressed a good wad of eco-Earth material :

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
logical progression

okay - as the sub-title suggests ( and a link to LTJ Bukem perhaps!) I did slip up a tad as I forgot to post these photos which illustrates the progression of the viv between the past two posts. An " ooops " I think it is technically phrased :blush: ... Anyhow, here are they :

the middle divide cut to a scalloped edge so as to create another level/ ledge

... and the first rim of expandable foam applied to that edge

then came the HA1 silicone and Eco-Earth. ( see previous post on this page for this).

And for those that can not be bothered scrolling UP here is another photo of Eco-Earth being pressed into the wet silicone :

Okay - got a day off today so I will see what more I can do and keep you posted.

Btw - Baldpoodle - that has got to be the maddest webcam thing attached to your sig I have seen on this reptile forum. Those Ostrich are very cool. Love it...: victory:

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
i like you, you appear to be a bit mental.

i wouldnt have chucked it away either. got more money than they know what to do with this lot.

but anyway, on topic: how about a garter colony of some description? dont know how many you'd be ok housing in it, but i think a colony of something small would look better than one (relatively) big thing.

or go over to the dark side and look at lizards.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi and thanks missferret - nothing like adding a bit of humour to dark circles I say. I do like the Thannophis and really into small colonies/co-habitation. It's the way they interact and personally I think become less anxious as a group. I know a few folk say it is unnatural and that most snakes only occur together during breeding season etc. I have to research more into that but I do house a couple of mine together permanantly including a pair of Lampropeltis. The female was a real problem feeder initially - only taking live but after a good few months in with a male - she mated, laid eggs with the male also in the nest chamber and now takes defrost... A success story I would like to think it as.

Btw - one CB hatchling Lampropeltis should appeal to you as it has a pentagram upon its neck - hence its name 'Penta' :

:flrt: ( Penta-Pyewacket Starchild etc LOL )

I am planning an aquatic area too for the lower section. I think the dimensions could be better if I were to make a full aquatic area with something like the Thamnophis in mind but with what I have got I am thinking along different lines. I would like the 'pool' to be removable for easy cleaning and maintenance etc. Time for a cuppa.

p.s - Doncaster Sept 2013 - there was one guy displaying a fantastic range of Thamnophis - didn't note down the guy's name but there was one small 'aquatic' display that housed three or more garters - WOW - simple, neat and aesthetically appealing.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If you have any breeding plans ahead I would turn it into a incubator...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts