Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice.

My daughter loves animals and after handling a (rather large) snake on her hols has decided she wants one! I'm quite OK with this as I did have a royal for a short while a looong time ago (and would love to get one again myself to be honest :wink: ).

I'm really after something that is easy to keep and handle as she's the type that would want to handle it all the time. I don't really want anthing that is liable to give her a nip as I think this will put her right off the snake!

I like the idea of a Royal, but there are also some good looking Milk/King snakes around (esp. the red, black & white banded Milks) which would appeal to her. What are your thoughts? Do Milks/Kings handle well?

Also, what are your thoughts on housing? I've seen starter kits with all the gear in on some websites ( www.everythingforpets.com & www.exotic-pets.co.uk). Are these any good/worth the money?

Finally, where is the best place/places/people to buy from?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanx.

·
Registered
257 Posts
a royal would be good except i wouldn't recommend handling it for very long especially when young as they get stressed easily and will go off feed as for enclosures i use plastic under bed boxes with a UTH and something to controll the UTH, it works very well i keep drilling ventilation holes into it until the humidity is at the right level and get the temps right and then i put him in!

here is a good plastic tub setup:

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
i agree i think royals are great snakes and usually really docile and friendly as for the best place to buy a snake it all depends whereabouts you are if your anywhere in or around berkshire id reccomend going to jurassic pets in the craft village at wokingham the guy who owns it is excelltent i got my royal and my bosc and loads of other reps from him in the past hes really genuine and if one of his reps is on the misery side he will always let you know hes a qualified herpitologist and all his reps are kept at very high standards and hes always happy to give as much advice u need he even offered to take my royal in for the night for me to try and help me get him to feed when he stopped eating but as i said it all depends whereabouts you live
good luck on finding a snake

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
milks and kinsgs are generally fruits, so i wouldnt go for them for what you want them for myself..
royal or a corn really would be best.

·
Registered
597 Posts
for your little girl i would get a cornsnake i think.... maybe its just me just i have mixed reactions from balls/royals sometimes, some will bite me 100 times then sometimes they do nothing but curl into a ball and look like a small turd :) lol sorry not a big ball/royal lover, my experience with corns is very limited because i prefer bigger snakes but of course for your daughter you dont want that atleast yet anyway, the worst thing about the few cornsnakes i have looked after or held is when they are little they pee on you. my next bit of advice is go and get it and hold it for an amount of time that you feel comfortable with that snake, i feel snakes have personalitys and you need the right personality for you, some snakes seem to be abit more shy than others and some seem too pushy......last piece of advice is where ever you go get the snake make sure your not pushed into buying it, i just finshed working in a reptile store and some of the stuff the owner told us to do was unbelievable he tried to sell some poor little lady and her son a burm and said it didnt get big, that was the last straw for me and i quit :)

hope this loooong post helps you make your decsion...

·
Registered
475 Posts
A corn would be best as you can get some great colourful morphs. They are known as a beginner's snake because they are easy to handle, feed and keep in general. I have two corns and they are lovely. I also have two kingsnakes as well and wouldn't recommend them for children or beginner's as they can get quite big and can be a bit unpredictable. :)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
The only problem I see with a royal is the constant handling when young, I think that you could cause the royal to stop eating and it could then get problematic etc etc.. People will tell you kings will bite a lot... out of all my kings only one bites now but they do have more of an attitude and when young will bite/ strike more than a corn. As its your daughter involved I would leave the king for a few years. So definitely a corn or a royal... but as others have said you would have to be careful how much you handle the royal when its young.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Soz, forgot 2 say where i was. I've changed my profile now. I'm in sunny Liverpool. Do you know anywhere in the area we can go and have a look at some royals/corns?

I'm starting to wonder if getting one for my daughter is really a good idea and she is sill only young (7). Although, saying that, I'll probly be the one looking after it mostly anyways. Not that that's a problem :wink: [/quote]

·
Registered
279 Posts
if you are in liverpool there is a great rep shpop not too far away in cleavleys, Reptile Room, they are great for both beginners and above, cant fault them!

·
Registered
991 Posts
another pretty good beginer snake would be a childrens/spotted python, small 4ft max, docile and easier to keep than a royal. sand boas are usually pretty good, or african house snake, A corn is a great beginer snake also.

failing that maybe a gaboon viper? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
mgs1982uk said:
failing that maybe a gaboon viper? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Dont be silly... a black mamba :lol: :lol: (do not take this advise and buy either of these :lol: :lol: )

·
Registered
324 Posts
google a cornsnake care sheet mate. or a royal cae sheet. with either of them, you can't go wrong... best place to buy a snake is from a reptile shop where you can see the snake and make sure he is eating from the shop... neway goodluck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey just to confuse you more I have one of the red black and white banded milks you were on about (its actually called a nelsons milksnake)

anyway hes my first ever snake and hes been great!

hes never missed a feed, is easy to handle though he can be a bit quick, sheds perfectly and iv never had any problems with him biting people plus lets be honest its a great looking snake!

the only thing is they are a bit more expensive than your bog standard starter snake eg corns

I would definately recommend milks as a first!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts