Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well like everyone else Ive heard so many stories of peoples snakes dying in brumation... so wondering if anyone here has had that happen to them??

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Tim, let me find an article I've just read, and I'll post here. I think it's related to your question. Just gimme time :D

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i've never heard of one tim.. not that i remember anyway.
as long as they are fat enough before they go into hibernation and are healthy, then there wont be a problem.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
This was taken from a web site about boa breeding.

Some boid keepers reduce the temperature by just 2° Centigrade (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) and the lighting period by 2 hours, others implement a nighttime drop to 15° Centigrade (59 degrees Fahrenheit) and turn the lights off entirely. This is often done without detailed knowledge of the climatic conditions that are apparent in the distribution areas of the animals. The record holder in temperature reduction is a boid keeper in Bavaria, who bromated his ball python together with his colubrids at about 8° Centigrade (46 degrees Fahrenheit). Needless to say, the ball python did not survive.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah as i said.
thing is, its the same with anything, things go wrong if you dont do them properly

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Dexter said:
The record holder in temperature reduction is a boid keeper in Bavaria, who bromated his ball python together with his colubrids at about 8° Centigrade (46 degrees Fahrenheit). Needless to say, the ball python did not survive.
:evil: tit

G

·
Thats the only time i have ever heard of snakes dying whilst being brumated mate.The temps are just to low and the snake just freezes to death.

What i do is lower the temps of the radiators in the snake room and turn the heatmats down so that they only get to around 65 degrees.This seems to be enough of a drop to get them to brumate but not enough to send them into hyperthermia

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for that guys... I wont be brumating this year as I still have to get alot of them growing but was unsure about it from all the info Ive heard on webbies and stuff.. needed some first hand info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts