Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had any dealing with them? if so could you please pm me, even if you know someone who has had something from them.
this is not a waste of your time, it is important i promise all will be revealed soon!
thanks a lot folks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Ross
Maggie from Highland Reptile Rescue here. What would you like to know about the rescue Ross?

I can tell you that we have been a rescue for almost 10 years, are a Scottish registered charity and are self funding. We rescue from all of the UK. We are all unpaid volunteers, all funds raised are used soley on the rescue.

We do not rehome reptiles for breeding purposes and we do ask for a donation.

We do have some reptiles that we can not rehome for different reasons, they are well cared for.

We did do reptile education/handling shows, to show the public that reptiles are not slimey horrible creatures but sensitive lovable animals. Unfortunatly this had the wrong effect and encouraged more people to want a reptile. so needless to say we do not do this any more.

Last year with assistance from the Brittish Chelonia Group we sent 25 rescued Red Eared Terrapins to Carapax in Italy. This is the largest nature reserve in Europe. They are now living as nature intended, free in man made lakes with large rafts for basking, no more captivity. All going well we will be sending more this year.

If you have any problems with our rescue would you like to discuss it. We are in close contact with various other rescues, and have had no problems.
Thank you
Maggie

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
ive heard nothing but good things about highland reptile rescue keep up the good work maggie xxxxxxx :flrt:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
sounds great Maggie and keep up the good work i know how hard it is to find decent homes for terrapins hence how we now run a small rescue for unwanted terrapins, anyone that rings Reptile rescue hull (rspca, private breeders ect) about unwanted terrapins pass our details on to them and we arrange to pick up at the moment we have about 23 and still expanding.

where abouts in the highlands are you? i used to live in Lhynbryde just outsid Elgin.

any way keep up the good work
Clare

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
have to agree running a rescue for 10years is no easy thing i am sure...... keep up the good work Maggie .... and youto Denise!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Ok, so we're waiting for an answer here Ross.

I'd be carefull though if i were you, just in case you had any plans of mud slinging

·
Registered
53 Posts
judgement

Any one who is prepared to take in unwanted or problem reps has my vote, even if its only just providing the minimum care well done:no1: until i see things with my own eyes i will not pass judgement on any one: victory: and for godsake start charging a rehoming fee it helps to maintain them.:bash:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi rona
So glad that you added your name to your wee bit.
May i now put my wee bit down. Your mum, a really nice lady, contacted us to say that you had a snake but you lost it some time ago and that they would like to adopt one from the rescue for you. We said we had a small corn for adoption. This wee beastie which had a tiny mark on the underside, was a lively good eater, who did all the things wee snakes do. Your mum was delighted and came with your dad, (you have excellent parants) to collect him. Your mum phoned to say how pleased you all were with him and that she would possibly like one for herself at some point.
Unfortunatly after a few months the poor wee snake died, (you told us that your vet said that it could have been gal bladder problems, or impaction), and we felt so sorry for you that we gave you another to replace him, you seemed delighted with this, your mum also adopted a wee corn as well, she is a natural with animals. When you were in our home we made you very welcome and we talked at length and I took a beautiful healthy Royal, that had a shedding problem as many Royals do, this I explaned to you, and Morphous a beautiful Gopher snake who I looked on as a pet but decided that he deserved a new individual home, to let you and your mum see how larger snakes were compared to the tiny corns. You instantly liked the Royal and your mum liked Morphy. You adopted the Royal which was in excellent condition apart from her shedding problem.
You wanted to adopt her which you did, we are still waiting for the donation you were going to send, your mum reluctiently decided not to adopt morphy as your dad had built a beautiful viv for her wee snake, she did not have enough room for another viv.
In between all this we were told that your corn had escaped from his viv and we gave you some advise on how to hopefully get him back, and reasured you that he would eventually reappear which he did.
You asked about putting your Royal and Corn in together, I said that providing they were equal size it should be fine, we have several friends who have kept the two species together for years with no problems, and this was long before we met you.
When we invited you into our home it was undergoing major reconstruction including a new roof, but we took the time to make you welcome, and this is the way you repay us. Hope this is the end to this matter as I do not have time to sit at the computer all day.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Maggie,

I did not ask about putting them together#! And i have stuck up for you on here. The corn returned, i thought i told you. The donation i left was not enough, i knew that at the time, but then i had vet bills for the royal. She is fine now, and ross and leanne did lend advice. I came on this forum to get help for that. I did notcome on here to make you look bad, and never mentioned your name until i was approached about HRR. I was told the RSPCA were building a case, first i knew.

I thought about it for a while, then decided that you were doing a grand job, and told ross and leanne that, and the others.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Hi rona
So glad that you added your name to your wee bit.
May i now put my wee bit down. Your mum, a really nice lady, contacted us to say that you had a snake but you lost it some time ago and that they would like to adopt one from the rescue for you. We said we had a small corn for adoption. This wee beastie which had a tiny mark on the underside, was a lively good eater, who did all the things wee snakes do. Your mum was delighted and came with your dad, (you have excellent parants) to collect him. Your mum phoned to say how pleased you all were with him and that she would possibly like one for herself at some point.
Unfortunatly after a few months the poor wee snake died, (you told us that your vet said that it could have been gal bladder problems, or impaction), and we felt so sorry for you that we gave you another to replace him, you seemed delighted with this, your mum also adopted a wee corn as well, she is a natural with animals. When you were in our home we made you very welcome and we talked at length and I took a beautiful healthy Royal, that had a shedding problem as many Royals do, this I explaned to you, and Morphous a beautiful Gopher snake who I looked on as a pet but decided that he deserved a new individual home, to let you and your mum see how larger snakes were compared to the tiny corns. You instantly liked the Royal and your mum liked Morphy. You adopted the Royal which was in excellent condition apart from her shedding problem.
You wanted to adopt her which you did, we are still waiting for the donation you were going to send, your mum reluctiently decided not to adopt morphy as your dad had built a beautiful viv for her wee snake, she did not have enough room for another viv.
In between all this we were told that your corn had escaped from his viv and we gave you some advise on how to hopefully get him back, and reasured you that he would eventually reappear which he did.
You asked about putting your Royal and Corn in together, I said that providing they were equal size it should be fine, we have several friends who have kept the two species together for years with no problems, and this was long before we met you.
When we invited you into our home it was undergoing major reconstruction including a new roof, but we took the time to make you welcome, and this is the way you repay us. Hope this is the end to this matter as I do not have time to sit at the computer all day.
P.S. you cant house a royal and a corn together.

£40 (or was it 45) was, i thought, a sufficient donation, considering i travelled over 30 miles, was told there was a viv, and there wasn't. also, i had vet bills after taking on the royal.

Please explain how i have repaid you??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.