Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone here have a group of snakes housed together? i saw recently a viv with 6 cali kings in together (none got eaten) but not sure i personally would :? was wondering if anyone else does? garters will happily.. any more?? what do u guys think?

G

·
I will admit that in the past i have kept groups of corns together i had 6 in a viv but the viv was 5x4x2 so there were no territory issues with it.They were all taken out and fed seperately.Now i keep them all on their own as i realised it was easier for me to see if there was a problem with any particular snake and deal with it rather than try to work out which snake was affected then treat all of them.The reason i dont like treating all snakes if i dont have to is that some of the meds can have bad side effects for snakes that have no problems.

G

·
The only problem i ever encounered was mites which would have probably affected all the snakes anyway.I just decided that it would be better after i noticed blood in one of the stools and couldnt see which snake it occured in.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i guess things like that would be a bit of a pain :? did your corns interact with each other or ever fight? as that would be the main worry i think.

G

·
The corns seemed to get on well together and i never noticed and fights.That said i did keep same sex and roughly the same size snakes together in the viv.I didnt want to take the chance of accidental mating or any snake becoming to dominant over the others.I found that there was a type of heirarchy in the viv with the same snakes taking the best hides and others pushed out to end for themselves but it was not unusual to find 3 or 4 snakes under 1 hide.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I kept pretty much everything I used to have in pairs or more, but this was when I didnt know very much about reptiles. I used to have a small group of corns together, a pair of Grey/Black rats, trio of royals and 2 young burms together. I never experienced any problems at all. Except as Ryan says, mites were an issue. They got introduced somehow and the whole collection got infested...wasnt very happy...:lol:

Now I only keep a pair of Blue Beauties together, but they are being separated soon as I find it much easier to look after them and monitor them when they are on their own. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I would never keep kings together with their cannabilistic nature. Garters are colony snakes though so the pair Ive got live together.. and always will be found together.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
)ive always kept corns together in pairs(not jungle corns though :wink: .)

Mites usually come from wild caught animals or captives kept near wild caughts in shops(never seen mites in captive only shops). we always split our animals to feed or keep them apart long enough for breeding purposes.

I think alot of people do thing differently though :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
little_chrissy said:
keeping kings together?!!!!!!are they nuts!i have 2 royals together thats it
Yeah well this was in the worst pet shop i have ever seen!! They also had an ig with no UV and severe MBD. :twisted:

I was thinking about getting a couple of garters or something, and i'd quite like a pair... but not a breeding pair.. i've never housed snakes together and its never really been an issue... can't imagine a king & a Boa together!! LOL

·
Registered
457 Posts
royals can be kept in colonys happily if done right

most corns and rat snakes will cohabit

boas can do

boids also

as long as no major size ro age differences most non cannibalistic snakes by nature will happily co habit

obv feed separately, also dont put any back in til all been fed or one may mistake scent of mouse on another

and provide plenty of hides and water bowls etc ..

·
Registered
399 Posts
I keep three female adult corns together with no problems but i do all the things that Ceiron mentioned.As long as you're sensible it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Boyden1985 said:
I know people who keep their Kings together with no issues.
Yet..... just one little change and they will all be eating each other. Theyre known for eating snakes in the wild and go into a feeding frenzy after eating... theres no point risking it at all.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I cant believe someone keeps 6 kings together, thats just asking for trouble. I have no experience with kings, but from what ive heard its not a good idea. Was it a pet shop or someone keeping them at home?

I kept 2 of my royals together for a short time, they didnt eat as much as normal, once i got another heat mat i seperated them and soon after they both began feeding as normal. Once my corns are both adults i might try housing them together, although i have a large rack i dont need too.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've 2 garters together they seem happier together, I won't do it to some snakes

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
6 kings ...one viv :shock: no way would I attempt that ....you otta see my king strike .....eat....... then the frenzied hunt for more starts ....you dance real quick on my floor :!: five plus foot of pure muscle ....lightning speed ....loves ( well he tags em often enuff ) leather trainers :!: :) if space an issue for peeps ...then dont understand why they dont use Conti's ...safer , easier and cleaner . IMHO

Take care

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shane2 said:
I cant believe someone keeps 6 kings together, thats just asking for trouble. I have no experience with kings, but from what ive heard its not a good idea. Was it a pet shop or someone keeping them at home?

I kept 2 of my royals together for a short time, they didnt eat as much as normal, once i got another heat mat i seperated them and soon after they both began feeding as normal. Once my corns are both adults i might try housing them together, although i have a large rack i dont need too.
A pet shop called Pisces Pets in Newport South Wales....if your ever in the area peeps... DONT go there!!

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
SnakeyPete said:
6 kings ...one viv :shock: no way would I attempt that ....you otta see my king strike .....eat....... then the frenzied hunt for more starts ....you dance real quick on my floor :!: five plus foot of pure muscle ....lightning speed ....loves ( well he tags em often enuff ) leather trainers :!: :) if space an issue for peeps ...then dont understand why they dont use Conti's ...safer , easier and cleaner . IMHO

Take care
The easiest thing to say is if you dont have the room for another snake don't get it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts