Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an IJ python. My only hurdle is geting down to London and back from Manchester to collect.

I've cared for snakes before but never had to transport them.

Will it be ok to travel by train ?

Any tips on housing whilst on the move ?

Thanks. Chris.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
Either that or you could always use Reptile Taxi or Gremlin Rides or a similar service to do the travelling for you:)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
warm a pillowcase up next to the fire. not to hot of course., bang the snake in and put it in a shoe box....tada!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
you can get heat pads, the things you click in the middle they react and get warm. chuck one of those in they last a couple of hours.

Could always find the buffet car and just casually rest your pillow case near the hot lamps ;)

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
id bag it then put it in a tub with kitchen roll to soften any jolts, use some heat pads and put it in a rucksack.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Snakes On A Train Lol

Have you seen the film snakes on the train and snakes on the plane we should all come with you and bring our snakes and make snake on a train 2 :lol2::lol2::lol2:

you can get heat mat for 72 hrs and good box AND SHOULD BE FINE but might stress abit and you get a seat just say wanna see my snake :lol2:

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
warm a pillowcase up next to the fire. not to hot of course., bang the snake in and put it in a shoe box....tada!!!
Hes going to london to pick the snake up...aint been to london much but pretty sure you wont see fires all over the place to heat the case up lol
Pillow case in a ruck sack or wvr is what i would do...

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
I brought 2 corns from Durham to York on the train. They were in hatchling tubs and just fitted in my handbag (big one) - it was summer though so no probs with temps. On another occassion it was a Jamaican boa in a Kichen roll tube in a tub in a carrier bag again in summer from Newcastle.

It was quite funny as I got chatting to an elderly lady on one trip and I kept wondering what she would do if she knew what I had in my bag.

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
i do this alot, though i only travel from london to bucks so its not that far.

for very small snakes, i use live food containers with whatever substrate they are kept in at the shop. i then put however many of them inside a shoe box with the hand warmer things, that have that liquid and the metal popper to activate the heat. around all that i put pillow cases, or whatever.

with larger snakes, i put them in a pillow case, and then within a shoe box, and then as above

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
On the train, it might have an electricit socket for people with laptops. mabey you could take a normal heat mat just incase there are. And also the disposable ones.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
1) A container they can't escape from
2) Keep the container with you

There was an incident involving a snake on a train in Ireland that led to Iarnrod Eireann insisting that all animals travelled in the guards' van.
A guy bought a snake in Dublin and took a train to Galway. He put the container containing snakey into the luggage rack located at the end of the carriage.
En route to Galway he heard a commotion coming from the next carriage and realised what had happened. Sure enough, snakey had escaped (or some little brat let it out)

A train carriage somewhere in Europe (Switzerland, I think) had to be taken out of service after a snake escaped and got into the ceiling

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone...some good tips.

I'll be contacting the breeder again soon when i've sorted out when i can travel, i'm sure he'll be able to help me further.

Loosing the little fellow on the train would certainly suck ! thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.