Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple of days or so the cats have started sneezing, and sometimes coughing. Now it is a damn site colder than usual as obviously the weather has changed and we still haven't put the heating on as we prefer the house on the cooler side.

Catface kitten has always been an indoor cat, and Stitch hasn't been out since his operation (I am keeping him as an indoor cat again).

So is it just a general catty cold, or something I need to be worrying about? They have been eating, drinking, pooing, weeing, playing perfectly normally, there is nothing different apart from the sneezing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jenn :)

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
As long as the cat is acting normally there is no need to panic, cat flu comes in many forms and as its a virus they wont give antibiotics unless its severe and then only to cover secondary infections not the flu itself
Ive got a snotty cat at the minute who has been snotty for weeks and has had antibiotics etc but is still snotty(really snotty)Shes already spent time at the vets with a drip and syringe feeding, had the back of her throat examined, a skull x ray and tomorrow is having a camera up her nose as its not a typical flu. Cat flu usually lasts 7 to 10 days so fingers crossed your cat has a mild form that it will recover from shortly.

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as the cat is acting normally there is no need to panic, cat flu comes in many forms and as its a virus they wont give antibiotics unless its severe and then only to cover secondary infections not the flu itself
Ive got a snotty cat at the minute who has been snotty for weeks and has had antibiotics etc but is still snotty(really snotty)Shes already spent time at the vets with a drip and syringe feeding, had the back of her throat examined, a skull x ray and tomorrow is having a camera up her nose as its not a typical flu. Cat flu usually lasts 7 to 10 days so fingers crossed your cat has a mild form that it will recover from shortly.
Flipping heck I hope your snotty cat recovers ok. Yeah, they've been acting completely normally which is why I havn't rushed them to the vets. I'll keep an eye on them. I have to say though they keep creeping up on the back of the sofa and then showering me in cat snot :sick: :lol2:

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
As Shell says there are many different types of cat flu, some extremely mild and some pretty nasty like herpesvirus.

I would say as long as you aren't seeing any kind of yellow or green discharge coming from the nose or eyes, then it's a mild form and the cats will likely throw it off themselves. If you see a nasty discharge then maybe an anti-biotic is needed to fight the secondary bacterial infection because the virus has compromised the cat's immune system.

Good thing is that flu viruses are only 'active' for 10-14 days and then will go dormant again until the cat is stressed.

It could be that the anaesthetic from the neutering operation has activated a flu virus - how long ago was he neutered? Sorry can remember you posting, but not when! :blush:

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Shell says there are many different types of cat flu, some extremely mild and some pretty nasty like herpesvirus.

I would say as long as you aren't seeing any kind of yellow or green discharge coming from the nose or eyes, then it's a mild form and the cats will likely throw it off themselves. If you see a nasty discharge then maybe an anti-biotic is needed to fight the secondary bacterial infection because the virus has compromised the cat's immune system.

Good thing is that flu viruses are only 'active' for 10-14 days and then will go dormant again until the cat is stressed.

It could be that the anaesthetic from the neutering operation has activated a flu virus - how long ago was he neutered? Sorry can remember you posting, but not when! :blush:
It wasn't his neutering operation, it was his tail operation when he had to have the end amputated? It was about a month ago I think?

Got an eye on them, no discharge or anything, so fingers crossed xx

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
It wasn't his neutering operation, it was his tail operation when he had to have the end amputated? It was about a month ago I think?

Got an eye on them, no discharge or anything, so fingers crossed xx
Ah, I see - I'm old and I get confused! :lol2: :roll2:

Good that you can't see any nasty discharge - it's probably something they'll knock on the head in another week. :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, I see - I'm old and I get confused! :lol2: :roll2:

Good that you can't see any nasty discharge - it's probably something they'll knock on the head in another week. :2thumb:
:lol2: It's ok! Hopefully they'll be fine, fingers crossed! They don't seem to be sneezing as much this morning xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts