Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After battling for 2 weeks with what was suspected as MBD, my beardie (Puff) was put to sleep yesterday. I insisted on another X-ray being taken after his back legs became partially paralysed, having shown signs of deterioration after being given calcium in support food and calcium injections at the vets. As they had a previous X-ray to compare yesterday's with from 2 weeks ago, they were now able to diagnose an aggressive tumour that was eating away his spine at the pelvic joint. The twitching that he has been doing that I spotted 2 weeks ago is now thought to be pain and not MBD. There was no other way forward other than euthanasia, I am just so, so sorry it was not spotted sooner and that he could have been put out of his misery before now.

I am no longer a reptile owner and don't plan to be again, I have my life back, but so desperately miss him. I will never forget that last, almost knowing look he gave me as I left him. I'm sure it was a look that said, 'thanks'. I am glad to have been a part of his short life.

Thanks for the help and support over the last 2 years, even if some of my input has been misguided in the past due to so called experts at the vet.

Goodbye 'special boy', I will miss you.

R.I.P. Puff

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
i am so sorry for your loss i recently lost one of mine she was my favourite and was gutted sat crying for a few hours (and i am a 60 year old man)
but a few days later i could not stand seeing a empty viv so i went and bought another

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sporry to hear of your loss, I agree with the previous posters as well. If anything it proves you did right by your reptile and it was not your fault that this has happened.
Nothing will replace the bond that you made with him but remember the times that were the happy times you had with your reptile and you will see the good ones out weigh the bad and i hope you reconsider about getting another reptile.

You have the signs of a good keeper by doing right by your reptiles and the hobby needs more people like yourself and to give advice to others based on your experience.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hi , I know you feel down and wont be ready to have another rep again, I hope you do decide to have more in the future . We all learn with each animal we own and this helps us in the future. I totally had no idea 15 years ago how to look after a baby tortoise and she sadly died , due to my lack of knoweldge . I was heart broken, but what I learnd since then means I have 2 cracking little spur thigh girls , Ive had for a year, after saying never again like yourself. They are in the best of health and soo happy, I also went on to get a beardie , who like yours had an RI and was pts due to previous owners neglect. I have 5 reps now and no life lol , but I wouldnt have it any other way. I do hope you change your mind , any rep would benifit from your care !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.