Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Hi...

What sort of turtle/terrapin is it? and how hold/big? How long have you had it?

Is the shell soft as it you can dent it with a fingernail, or flexible (i.e it bends easily). Is the shell discoloured at all, or does it look 'normal'?

Can you tell us what temperature you have your water and basking areas and what strength of UVB lighting you are providing?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
it is a 30w uv light 100w heat bulb but i have only just got that. as for th basking sits i got a dock form the pet shop but the one with the soft shell spends most of it time in the water. i feed them king british terrapin complete food i have had them for about 3 months. im not shor wot bread this one is but i do no it will only grow to about 6 inc if that will help the ather one is a yellow belly
he dus have some lighter patchis on his shell but not shor if there just part of his markings
the shell is flexible at th back soft round the sides
hes about 2" 50mm long not growing as fast as th yellow belly but i think thats normel

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Hi, is the UV bulb 5% or 10%?

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the turtle so we can ID it and tell you if the markings on the shell are normal?

What size is it now?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Can you tell us exactly what make and model the UV lamp is?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thats a map turtle...Dunnoe if its a missippi or a false as i cat really see the yellow bands in full......Map turtles like all turtles need absolutyl clean water....But maps need that extra little bit better water.....Can i ask what kind of filter you are running with 2 turtles sharing the same tank........And any chance we could see the turtle dry...Also pictures of the under side and top side would help us all help you......

Also its that little gravel i see in the picture..If so you need to get that out the tank.....I also used to house my turtle with small gravel but after seeing grahams scarey picture of what can happen i took it straight out.......Also can i ask what size tank do you house both these turtles in...

More of a balanced diet is also needed for these turtles...Koi wheatgerm pellets and a good protien pellet like reptomin would serve them well aswell.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Now that ive taken another look it defo looks like a false map turtle to me...And these maps need very very very clean water......I'm told by many pets shops these turtles are not ideal to house with another turtle never mind a dfrent species of turtle...But i think there is a few members here who do so,so maybe its not all bad.....Me personally i wouldn't......False map turtles are baskers and will often bask for hours and hours at a time so you saying yours doesnt bask at all means there is defo something wrong there.....I also have a false map turtle and she basks for very long periods.......

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Yes it's a false map turtle - you can see the yellow 'hockey stick' shaped markings on the head, the darker eye and the yellow beak quite clearly in the photo. They are absolutely fine to house with other north american sliders and maps.

Water quality is however very important.

Is it the scutes (the shell 'plates') at the back that appear paler, that are concerning you? To me, it does look like mild shell rot. If left untreated, the turtle can lose these scutes completely and they will not regrow.

Shell rot in captive animals is generally caused by poor husbandry.... dirty water, incorrect diet, lack of quality UVB etc.

Ensure your water is clean... internal filters are no good for turtle tanks, they cannot cope with the amount of waste produced. You need an external filter, rated for at least 3 times the volume of water in the tank.

Adding aquatic tonic salts to the water (same dosage as for fish) will help keep harmful pathogens at bay whilst the turtle recovers.

Use a 10% UV light designed for reptiles

Use a good quality turtle pellet as their staple diet. Adding pondfish wheatgerm pellets to the diet will help with shell condition. Are you feeding any vegetation? Add aquatic plants to the tank, and feed watercress and romaine lettuce... you can also try algae wafers. Once a week feed a meaty food - defrosted frozen cockles or muscles are ideal, as are pieces of trout, earthworms, snails and prawn.

Treating the turtle: Get some 'Hibiscrub' (chemist, vet or online) and dilute as directed. Take the turtle from the water and dry off... clean the shell using the hibiscrub and put the turtle somewhere warm and dark to dry for 2 to 3 hours ('dry docking' is usually done for longer than this on adult turtles, but this time is reduced due to yours being a youngster). Rinse the turle and return to the water for an hour to feed and toilet, then repeat the treatment. You will need to do this for approx 7 days and during this time, isolate it from your other turtle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all your help.

the pet shop that soled me gorge and speck didnt no wot thay were doing
i have changed every thing but the tank so far.
i now got an external pond filter i changed that after reading someones blog last week.
the basking lamp they didnt tell me i needid one so i only put one in 2 days ago and they ar only just finding it they have being sitting on th water heater till now. do i tern it off at night or leave it on?
i took th gravel out.

the tank is 4' 1200mm pleas bont tell me i need to change that all that will be the same as when i first started wiil be the dock and thermometer lol

do u think i need to take them to th vet i dont wont to mess this up

ones again thanks for all yr help wish i found this site befor getting them.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Your 4ft tank will be fine for now... although if you have a female YBS and a female map, they will eventually outgrow the tank. Unfortunately you won't be able to sex them for a good while yet.

If they had poor filtration, were overcrowded and had no UV/basking lamp in the shop, this is probably why the map turtles shell is the way it is.

You should be able to treat the shell at home by following the advice above. You should start to see improvement fairly quickly (espcially now you are providing UV lighting), but if it gets any worse, then take the turtle to a vet.

With your basking and UV light (you need one to provide heat - i.e. a normal white household bulb and one to provide UVB, unless you are using a combined MVB bulb which provides both) - you are attempting to mimic the sun... so you leave it on for 10-12 hours during the day and turn it off at night. You can leave your water heater on 24 x 7 as you turtles get a bit bigger you can remove this altogether as north american species (like YBS and maps) do fine with the water at room temperature.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Great - good luck :2thumb:

I know you have had to replace a lot of equipment, but when you get the chance, replace the 5% UV bulb with a 10% (5% is the bare minimum)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Apologies for misinformation i checked the care sheet and it states this

COMMUNITY HABITAT

False Map Turtle is a great turtle for a community habitat with Mud Turtles, Musk Turtles, Sliders, Cooters, other Map Turtles and Painted Turtles.
So looks like my pet store also has no idea regarding turtles lol.....

Everyday is a school day.......Now im on the look out for a new turtle to keep my falsey company :) .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the frend of mine who recormended me to the pet shop spoke to one of his duttys that work there and because of the mess up is trying to sort some thing out.
one of the things he said that they might do is give me new tertels that cost a bit more but are more suitid to th tank size wen they get older.
th prob with that is i cant give my little giys up even if they r going to tern into monsters.

if the pet shop still ofers them to me for free
i will find out th breed and let u no.
if u are still looking for a new tertle and u are close enuf to pick them up then u can have them.
but dont get yr hopes up they might give me bugger all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts