Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally, don't have a strong opinion on Bob Clarke, although I do disagree with some of his practices.

Due to the amount of threads being clogged with arguing over this guy, I thought I would not only give BC more chance of publicity but also try and free up forum space for people who have bought from BOb to share their purchases and experience without having to trawl through pages of pro/anti Bob propoganda.

So here it is folks, let loose all of your positive / negative feedback on the guy and let the others crack on : victory:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers bud : victory:

I find it classic that his first retort to the miriad guestions you asked was to address the issue of a US/UK divide.

Not exactly clever but certainly is the foundation for the point he will continue to make that anyone who disagrees with him is a jealous breeder.

Hard to argue with fact though and the fact that he HAS imported snakes that haven't fed and the fact that he HAS sols snakes that have quickly dies through illness stands.

Ok a lot of the snakes he sells go on to live long healthy lives but until the issue of the ones that don't make it is addressed and he abides by the same rules as all breeders would, he remains pretty unethical in my opinion : victory:

·
Banned
14,611 Posts
From the way i understand it, he's a sort Del Boy Trotter of the snake world. :whistling2:
Now you see that just about sums up my thoughts, havnt ever delbt with Mr C myself, but a bit of research this year made my mind up that it was far too dodgy.
Put it like this,
If you buy a product on the internet you do your research first, read reviews, and even if that product is cheap if the reviews are bad then a person with common sence leaves alone.
Now i would have thought with living breathing animals the above plus some would be the bare minimum.
It doesnt make sence to me at all that he's had return customers, ok your snakes were healthy but is the risk the next wont be worth it?
Be interesting to see what crawls out of the woodwork a month down the line.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What makes his snakes better than the breeders here in the UK. From some accounts he hasn't even bred half of them anyways? Are you solely buying for the name and prestige of a BC Royal?
He does breed some nice snakes, granted but your right the UK and other foreign breeders are able to offer snakes of similar and better quality.

This forum has gone a long way to raise the BC tag and they are the new Prada to the uninformed and you will undoubtedly be seeing the classifieds being overwhelmed with the tags "Bob Clarke bloodline" and the like.

It's all just bandwagon jumping, if I was faced with the choice between a beautiful Bob Clarke import and a beautiful Uk bred, the only thing that would have previously swung me would have been price but knowing of the appalling import conditions I would pay the extra few fpr a snake I could transport myself : victory:

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
He does breed some nice snakes, granted but your right the UK and other foreign breeders are able to offer snakes of similar and better quality.

This forum has gone a long way to raise the BC tag and they are the new Prada to the uninformed and you will undoubtedly be seeing the classifieds being overwhelmed with the tags "Bob Clarke bloodline" and the like.

It's all just bandwagon jumping, if I was faced with the choice between a beautiful Bob Clarke import and a beautiful Uk bred, the only thing that would have previously swung me would have been price but knowing of the appalling import conditions I would pay the extra few fpr a snake I could transport myself : victory:
Exactly as I imagined it then.

I'll pass if you don't mine Bob, oh and the fact I can't stand Balls is another bigger reason.

:lol2:

·
Banned
14,611 Posts
It was stated that Mr C will be at Cold Blooded reserve on Monday to personally hand out snakes.
Who here has waited for the Monday for a more personal touch?
And indeed who here thinks that Mr C will actually turn up to do so?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't have a problem with the quality of bobs snakes, we own bob bred snakes and they are as good as the ones bred here.
I just don't see the point in buying snakes that are already readily available in this country, for example, finding a leucy retic bred in the uk is going to be near enough impossible so having to turn to bob or any US breeder is about the only option you may have, but to buy a albino burm or a male het albino royal of him just seems pointless and unnessary hassle when you can go into nearly any rep shop in the uk and find one, even if it is 20% more expensive.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly as I imagined it then.

I'll pass if you don't mine Bob, oh and the fact I can't stand Balls is another bigger reason.

:lol2:
I am also not a massive fan of Royal's but a fan of snakes in general and the unecessary suffering Bob's imports have caused is reason enough for me to leave him alone.

I mean what responsible breeder / importer would leave their snakes in holding while they argued a vat bill?

All beit that UK customs provide excellent care to any livestock they detain and it is probably be a hell of a lot better care than that they received in transit, ethically it is still wrong.

I also do not doubt that this will reach the tabloids or the anti press, again furthering the claim that the UK is full of unscrupulous breeders and sellars : victory:

It was stated that Mr C will be at Cold Blooded reserve on Monday to personally hand out snakes.
Who here has waited for the Monday for a more personal touch?
And indeed who here thinks that Mr C will actually turn up to do so?
He has already buggered off, so no chance of that.

I wonder what the guy's at CB have thought of his proceedures, it would be interested to hear from some of them.

Although I have no doubt they have been as helpful as always they must be a bit narked that they were left baring the brunt and due to Bob's reluctance to answer questions will no doubt bare the brunt of the queries on the condition of the snakes? : victory:

I don't have a problem with the quality of bobs snakes, we own bob bred snakes and they are as good as the ones bred here.
I just don't see the point in buying snakes that are already readily available in this country, for example, finding a leucy retic bred in the uk is going to be near enough impossible so having to turn to bob or any US breeder is about the only option you may have, but to buy a albino burm or a male het albino royal of him just seems pointless and unnessary hassle when you can go into nearly any rep shop in the uk and find one, even if it is 20% more expensive.
Totally agree mate, for the snakes that are readilly available here in the UK, to put an animal through the trauma of import for the sake of a few quid is unnecessary and cruel : victory:

·
Banned
14,611 Posts
He has already buggered off, so no chance of that.

I wonder what the guy's at CB have thought of his proceedures, it would be interested to hear from some of them.

Although I have no doubt they have been as helpful as always they must be a bit narked that they were left baring the brunt and due to Bob's reluctance to answer questions will no doubt bare the brunt of the queries on the condition of the snakes? : victory:
Aye, it was stated he had to go to Hamm, but would be back Monday.
I've heard some people state they will be waiting for Monday.
If i were a betting man it wouldnt be getting good odds.

As for the CB crew, i really did feel for them, NBlade did state they had an awfull time of it.

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
I did find the whole what did you get from bob threads pretty amusing as it's always nice to have a chuckle at others expense:lol2:
I don't really get the whole morph thing anyway so don't really get the pay 100's more for this snake because it's a different color and then pay a few more quid because it's a BC snake, but to each there own and supply n demand and all that: victory:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aye, it was stated he had to go to Hamm, but would be back Monday.
I've heard some people state they will be waiting for Monday.
If i were a betting man it wouldnt be getting good odds.

As for the CB crew, i really did feel for them, NBlade did state they had an awfull time of it.
Going to Hamm to replace the snakes that didn't make it? :whistling2: Ok needlessly harsh but still......

The people waiting til Monday will undoubtedly be there to either rip him a new arse due to the hassle, haggle for money off due to the hassle, replace a crap snake or heor worship.

I will still be amazed if he turns up, I would assume he is sending a representative : victory:

I did find the whole what did you get from bob threads pretty amusing as it's always nice to have a chuckle at others expense:lol2:
I don't really get the whole morph thing anyway so don't really get the pay 100's more for this snake because it's a different color and then pay a few more quid because it's a BC snake, but to each there own and supply n demand and all that: victory:
I'm not a fan of created morphs but will happily pay good money for naturally occurring ones.

I for one am finding myself drawn closer to wild type and locale boa's and with the multitude of relatively unkept but amazing snakes ourt there couldn't give a crap about owning a snake with a paint job

·
Banned
14,611 Posts
I dont even think he'll send a rep, i think he'll pretty much just abandon the whole mess to the CB crew and then people will have to track him down via the states for any recompense monitary or otherwise.
Safety in distance me thinks.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts