Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
She Ra, Mastress of the Universe
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

We're planning to get an ickle beardie baby soon [as soon as pay day comes] and i was just wondering if anyone had some really good tips for us.

we have already done a lot of reading up, a care book is on its way from ebay. i have a corn, she been with me for 2 years, so im not a complete novice.

anything will be muchly appreciated.
:)

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
If yours turns out to be anything like mine dont use cork bark for it to climb on. Mine craps all over hes and its murder to clean up off it. :lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
i have a few tips i learnt of mine, one is always have a tissue handy when you have him out because the running out about gets the bowels going and you know the rest!!!

another is use newspaper till it is older, i use sand and mine got compacted which isnt nice.

also spray them and bath them regularly whilst they are young so they dont get dehydrated.

hmm oh and if he eats alot which mine does get a tank or something to put the crickets in and then buy a bulk bag of half bulk bag and it will save you alot of money :)

hope any of them helped

speedy

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, more welcome :)

Speaking of wood, i was thinking of getting him some drift wood like i have for the snake, but is there anyhting or anywhere cheaper to get it [other than rooting around in the woods]

and ive learnt with the snake that kitchen roll always need to be at hand when shes out. i swear shes learnt to keep it in so she doent mess up her tank, great for the tank, not so good for my clothes.

if i were to keep bulk amount of crickets what would i feed them? do they make alot of noise?

Thanks a bunch, keep the info coming :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yes if you keep crickets in bulk, they will make a lot of noise (unless they are silent ones which still make noise :roll: lol)

feed them on things like old cereal, some people say dog food :? i've tried this and a few thin slices of potatoe works well, keeps some hydrated and good carbohydrates.

·
Registered
801 Posts
See that's the thing about general advice, no offence to anyone but you always get conflicting info. I used to spray my Beardies and then when my girly got poorly, peeps on here said 2 quit the spraying as it can lead to probs such as Respiratory infections so I stopped just to be on the safe side!!

What size viv u thinkin of? We used to have a sand substrate and then changed it to kitchen roll. Doesn't look half as impressive, but the peace of mind is much greater!!

Where will u be getting ur Beardie from? There's a few really reputable breeders on here, which if there's one near enough 2 u, I would really reccommend that rather than a pet shop, as they tend to give u bad advice, and sometimes the reps haven't been cared for too well.

Two that are good are Nat and BeckyWheeler. Its worth looking into.

Good luck!! Make sure u post pics!! :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i think nats got one male left and beckys got like 2 - 1 male and 1 female

worth contacting them, they know what they are talking about when it comes to overall care of beardies, lots of experience.

Good luck

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Tips..
Offer your beardie a decent fresh bowl of veg every day, best to replace half way through the day, as much variety as possible.

Use a white light basking lamp not a red or ceramic as ceramics dont give off any light and beardies like light and cant see red light.

Red light is ok on a thermostat to keep night time temps ok but a heat mat will be just as good [tape it to the bac kof the viv rather than the bottom]

The 2 important temps in the Viv are
1] the temp directly under the basking light, assuming this is big enough and safe enough to be where your beardie lays when basking.
2] the cool end, about 3 qtrs down so in 4 foot viv, bask one end, cool end thermometer one foot away from other end.

bask wants to be [and urll need a digital thermometer with a probe as any other types are no good for measuring heat directly nder a spotlight] 100-120, no lower than 100 honestly.
cool end, 80-85 a bit warmer wont kill the beardie but is ideal, if cool end is warmer you may need a lower wattage bulb, or turn of the blummin heatmat :) shouldnt have probs unless viv is very small, remember the temp in a "hide" will be a bit cooler so if probs make a safe cave and "dig it in"

Uv light is important, and tubes dont give of a lot of uv...so you want the tube as close to where ur beardie will spend a lot of time as possible, right flush with the bask is good, get an 8 inch piece of string, [8 inches is about the point where the uv becomes almost pointlessly low] have it so it allows ur beardie to have a decent run of the viv and still have lots of areas he may "hang out" that are within the tubes range.

You should feed your crickets on wheatabix [or other cereal or bran] crushed up and veg for moisture, kepp them well fed and clean ,they like to climb in toilet roll/kitchen towel tubes and egg cartons]
also you are best to sprinkle the crix with calcium dust or vitamin powder every day on one feeding [baby beardies best fed twice a day you see, so on half the general food]
calcium once 5 days a week ,vits the other 2.

Remember beardies get well offended if you nodd at them....wave instead, slowly.
:)

Handle your beardie for short periods often, not straight after feeding, also dont feed any sooner than an hour after lights go on or before lights go off.

Mistt beardie with spray bottle daily, the more it drinks when you do so the less often you need do it, if hes stubborn soak the little git till he gets the idea, warm water not cold.
If you can get your beardie drinking from a water dish ur very lucky and this will make life loads easier and urd only need to give them a light spraying occasioanlly if this the case.

Ok.. they is tips...i know its long winded and shit but theres a lot there that is often missconceived so.. [like misting the viv instead of the beardie and veg every other day and terribel mistakes with the calcium and vit supps etc]

Good luck

Dean

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey dean

WOW! that was alot of info.
all very helpful and confirming the general concensus of our research.

i think we have everything covered.
the only thing im still not too confident with is the veggies. a list on recognisable [sp?] veggie and fruit names would be the most helpfullest thing at the moment.

he's very lively at the moment, relieving after a very scared morning on his part. and he's already done a few waves for us, which we were told wouldnt be likely as he's on his own. i reckon he either fancies his own reflection or is just a crazy lil dude.

we're busy building him some better hides, as he's gona grow out of the one i have pretty soon. ahhh the things you can so with play sand, polystyrene roof tiles and some glue lol.

we'll im gona stop jabbering now, probly gona copy some of this and add it to the post of piccies of the lil guy.

keep it coming guys :)
still very grateful for all the interest and support.
ella
x

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
theres a sticky thread in this forum which gives a very good list of veggies they can eat any time, only sometimes and never.

but just a few ideas are escarole, can be fed daily to your bd, its what i do, its very good for them. spinach is a high calcium but is also high in oxides so in excess it can cause more harm than good.

radichio (spelt wrong) is one that can be in small amounts very couple of times youoffer your bd veggies, its a red leafy veg

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
see this is my problem.
i had a look at that sticky, and i dont even know what half the stuff is. im not that much of a veggie fan. but i figured next time i go into tescos im gona go with a list and spend an hour in the veggie section trying to find all these strangely named veggies.

this makes me look bad...

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
ok simple answer, and a good one as it happens....
from any supermarket you can get mixed veg [lettuce type] in bags, usually between 99p and £2.

They tend to contain 3-6 of the following
Escarole
frissee
tango
radachio
romaine
baby leaf
chinese leaf
red chard
yellow chard
olde oak [or are they hot dogs\//?]

etc etc
they are all fine, if u buy one or more bags of this stuff and give a bit of each daily your set.
Also if you can also get to add to it one or more of the following even better

Parsley [live plant or prepacked]
Basil
Mint
Water cress

all available at any supermarket.

ALso fresh or frozen [frozen for ease]
PEAS
RUNNER BEANS
Broad beans
you will prolly find they are a favourite

Just started offering our beardies
Leek
OnION
sWEDE

cabbage is debatable, ours neverlied it anyway, same with spinach.
peppers? shredded carrot, squash [dont really know this one, used a butter sqaush once to no joy]
oh raddish maybe. this last paragraph are things i havent had luck with but are technically ok.

Hope it helps mate.
Dean

EDIT PS EDIT PS
Forgot rocket, its a good one ;)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i tried spring onion ages ago, no luck.
what it actually is is a bag of frozen mixed veg from iceland.. not the normal peas, carrot, runners, sweet corn but tthe other one which is carrot, swede, leek and onion, im not sue what onion exaclty, i guess normal sort.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oh....... :) gosh :) i wonr buy them again either as the carot gets wasted always ,even crix hate it.
need the peas though and runners

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
well i got a few bags in cause we have it for tea too :lol: The weird thing is i bought a bag of frozen cauliflower and brocoli and they wouldnt touch that until it was cooked too yet they will eat fresh caulifower raw :? t

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dean,
You're a star mate. Thats exactly what i needed.
He doesn't like carrots, but the crickets seemed to.

I've got some peas in the freezer, but the other half doesnt want to feed frozen stuff to the lil guy, thinks its more healthy to get fresh. is there much difference?

Thanks a bunch again mate.
ella

1 - 20 of 21 Posts