Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local rep shop today, needed some live food and bits, there was a woman in there talking to one of the chaps who work there, she has been advised by another shop to put her HERMANS tort in with her BEARDIE instead of hibernating it, :shock: the poor bloody tort is only 18 months old. but when the shop tried to correct her, she threw a strop and walked out 'f'ing' and blinding unwilling to change it!! :evil:

has anyone else heard of people doing stupid things with herps???

·
Registered
849 Posts
I saw a woman advised by an american petstore to feed each of her beardies 3 crickets a day, and keep the tank at a steady 80 degrees. :shock:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why do people say these things??? and why get the animal if you dont know before hand how to look after them! :evil:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'v seen a bosc and a caimen kept in the same enclosure so nothing surprises me anymore. And there were no basking areas, and the substrate was just pebbles. You'd think an animal centre thats suposed to educate people would know better. They also had a veiled cham with some sort of other lizard, think it was a wall lizard? Those two were constantly threatening each other, and it was a totally terrestrial viv, nothing for the cham to climb on, no running water for it to drink and it didnt look like it had any humidity

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
god some of the people who have reptiles need a good hard kick up the bum.how the hell do these people manage to get up out of bed in the morning never mind owning a poop little reptile.stupid morons.they should not be able to keep slugs never mind exotics! :2wallbang: come share my pain!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
:2wallbang:
:banghead: :2wallbang: :banghead: :banghead:
:bash: :banghead: :bash:
ok enough now ..it hurts and its taking ages lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Before I got my BD Freya from a friend, she was keap in a nice very big homemade wooden viv. but with only a large piece of drift wood, a slate to hide under and thankfully a heating lamp and uv. but nothing else not even sand.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
theres a pet shop in monifieth scotland i went there last weekend 3 folk who work there were just standing at the till reading about corns...went into their reptile bit and the smell was terrible :cry: a pair of beardies were in a viv that was wayyyy to small for them and obviously hasnt been cleaned for days substrate was covered in poo.no heat lamps at all just a heat mat sellotaped to back of vivarium.there is also a baby yeman there who doesnt look happy at all crickets running all over her and again viv wasnt clean.the guy in the shop said the beardies keep mating and the female keeps laying eggs but they are not incubating them.i suggested they seperate the male and female if they didnt want them to keepmating.the guy just looked at me as if i was stupid and said"but we are selling them as a pair" :roll:
i must say tho i do know a couple of rep shops that are excellant and care as much for the reps as we all do and they are critterz in kinghorn and reptiles in the green in aberdeen :wink: excellant shops :D im going back to moniefieth this weekend and if the vivs are all in a state like they were last weekend i think ill have to say summut again.i know one of the guys that work there come in here so im hoping he sees this and tells his boss to BUCK UP HIS IDEAS lol :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's so sad. the rep shop that i was in is a top place, steared me in the right direction on multiple occasions!!! it was just the bloody old cow with the tort would not listen to them, obviously she knows something that NOBODY else knows!!!! :evil:

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
We've had a customer in who asked if she could buy some Beardies to keep in with her tortoises...

I said no, and explained all the reasons why not.

She came back two weeks later and said she had got her beardies, and they were 'fine' with the tortoises...

There's no helping some people.

·
Registered
24 Posts
:D Hi i live in Australia, and to get a reptile here you need a license from national wild life authority and the only way you can buy a reptile is via a local reptile club (breeders)or other reptile lovers ..commercial sale of reptiles is illegal and catching them in the wild... .

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had to actually phone the rspca last week because i was so upset with how a petshop were keeping their reptiles. They had baby leos who looked like they had just hatched on sand,no water, crickets everywhere, pooh everywhere!! poor little mites had pooh and sand stuck to their lil bottoms to :cry: snakes had burns and sores from where it was hitting its head on a heat lamp (no guard) its skin was all dry and stuck around his head. And the rest of the lizards look dehydrated. all tanks were filty no clean water and overcrowded!! They had african clawed frogs in goldfish bowls with no lids etc... i was so gutted when i left there. rspca have not contacted me about it yet, but i will be calling them on monday if i havent heared from them.I personally will not buy from pet shops, as there advice is bull s**t and they are just after your money, most of them dont care about their animals at all. I use a reptile center near me called waterlife, i recntly brought 2 leos from them and they are healthy and happy, all cages are clean and the best thing is, they all keep reptiles themelves. so they are very good at asking questions and answering them. It is sitiouated near heathrow for all of you guys that may be near, pop your head in and see for yourself. :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
BADGERS MUM said:
ive had some really shite advice from pet stores so nothing surprises me :x
This is not unknown,

A large proportion of our day is taken up by giving out the correct advice, trying to rectify problems pet shops have created.

There is a statistic that has been banded about in the industry for some years and it is correct.

95% of all reptiles taken to the Vets for treatment could have their problems resolved if the correct husbandry advice and equipment was given at point of sale.

"Pet Shops" in the loose term are simply places selling on a commodity at a profit, they don't have the animals well being as priority they are more interested in the ££££.

90% of vets across the country have little or no experience in dealing with reptiles, don't get me wrong there are a large amount who are excellent, but these 90% of vets just make the condition worse by not checking if the husbandry requirements are correct, therefore the reptile gets worse.

The main problems can occour when forums and websites give out incorrect or conflicting information.

If in doubt speak to people that have / are dealing with the species for years, and preferably those with breeding experience.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
popped into pets at home the other day, just noseying around, and asked if they had aspen shreds in stock, the lady quit happily tried to sell me rabbit hay instead, saying that my king snake would be 'much happier on this!!!' :shock: never knew that :lol: :shock: :lol:

but the three shops i go to for my herp are all keen reptile owners themselves, so would not knowingly feed you any bullshit. :D

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i doubt they would, the tort was slowly cooking!!!! wonder what would happen long term????

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
pets at home are great for shite advice,i went in knowing they dont cater for reps but wanting some small plastic thanks for crix n hoppers,i bought them,explaining i didnt want the free goldfish as was for gecko food but was told by the aquatic girl that i shouldnt fill the tank with too much water when i put the crix in as is was only a plastic tank and not strong :shock: even if that werent a blatantly stupid suggestion,told her crix/hoppers may die if i tried that :lol: but still how the hell do you keep a goldfish in not much water,mostly places like that employ people who need the cash not having the knowledge

1 - 19 of 19 Posts