Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until they can at least show they know the basics of how to care for whichever reptile they want to buy.

This is my vivarium I have for sale. I get a message on eBay asking if it can be collected today so I wait in for him, he arrives and as we are carrying it downstairs he asks me "is this OK for a bearded dragon?" "I've already got 2 in a 3 foot viv I thought this looked nice for 1"

This viv bearing in mind is 60x45x60cm, has no UV and is a rainforest habitat. I feel so sorry for the 2 beardies he currently has.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor beardies :(
Hopefully you told him "no"
He looked gobsmacked when I told him it wasn't suitable.

PS I can't see what my stalker plasma has to say because he's on my ignore list, so jog on you saddo.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
He looked gobsmacked when I told him it wasn't suitable.

PS I can't see what my stalker plasma has to say because he's on my ignore list, so jog on you saddo.
Not sure what the "stalking" thing is about.

But have certainly met a few people that are shocked when you tell them beardies don't do too great in exo Terra terrariums. Seems like shops are just lazy and tell people to just order the exo terra catalogue when they buy any rep, I know I have been told similar in the past.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what the "stalking" thing is about.

But have certainly met a few people that are shocked when you tell them beardies don't do too great in exo Terra terrariums. Seems like shops are just lazy and tell people to just order the exo terra catalogue when they buy any rep, I know I have been told similar in the past.
Not sure if it looked like it was aimed at fizz but I was talking about plasma234 who posted first with regards to stalking me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Someone I know has a reptile and they do not look after them properly. The poor reptile... They once accidentally trapped it in the glass door and thought it hilarious :(

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
He said 6 months but he was absolutely clueless about how to care them, couldn't believe it.
Understood does he still need an enclosure?
I don't have a 4ft one but I do have a 3ft he can have if he collects it, better than nowt IMO.

Tell him to message me if he's interested sure I can help with a few bits and bobs too, its about education, in fairness there are videos and caresheets of beardies being kept in such ways, so as sad as it is that's what happens when information isn't regulated :)

Happy to help them if I can.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Understood does he still need an enclosure?
I don't have a 4ft one but I do have a 3ft he can have if he collects it, better than nowt IMO.

Tell him to message me if he's interested sure I can help with a few bits and bobs too, its about education, in fairness there are videos and caresheets of beardies being kept in such ways, so as sad as it is that's what happens when information isn't regulated :)

Happy to help them if I can.
I'll message him on eBay and let him know cheers. I gave him the best advice I could, I haven't kept beardies myself but I know their basic care. I'm sure some people would have just sold him the viv but I'm not like that.

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
I'll message him on eBay and let him know cheers. I gave him the best advice I could, I haven't kept beardies myself but I know their basic care. I'm sure some people would have just sold him the viv but I'm not like that.
That's fair enough :)
I never judge, tbh I recently had a conversation with a lady on the phone she had learning difficulties, and finds it very hard to read, she knew baisics but she also was relying on a not so well popular pet shops advice, good communicator in person but naff with reading and writing, I spoke after a FB group tore her apart for some things, that hit my nerve, everyone should be allowed to expirience the wonderful
Joys of rep keeping too, but the right info should be available to everyone as well, whatever there individual situation is.
And when people deliberately mislead them that hits my nerves, so the fault isn't always with the individual working with what they have.

Have a good Xmas mate, hope you all have a good one.
You done the right thing IMO too, that money could e better spent to help his dragons. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's fair enough :)
I never judge, tbh I recently had a conversation with a lady on the phone she had learning difficulties, and finds it very hard to read, she knew baisics but she also was relying on a not so well popular pet shops advice, good communicator in person but naff with reading and writing, I spoke after a FB group tore her apart for some things, that hit my nerve, everyone should be allowed to expirience the wonderful
Joys of rep keeping, but the right info should be available to everyone IMO.
And when people deliberately mislead them that hits my nerves.

Have a good Xmas mate, hope you all have a good one.
You done the right thing IMO :)
Even though I know a fair bit over gecko's, beards and snakes, I'd just direct people to RFUK!

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Even though I know a fair bit over gecko's, beards and snakes, I'd just direct people to RFUK!
There is always something to learn, I've met some wonderful people on this forum, its just sad to see people torn apart opposed to helped, IMO you he to treat each case as individual even if the question has been asked a thousand times already, there's some great people with a great wealth of knowledge and expirince on here.

:)

No one knows everything.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is always something to learn, I've met some wonderful people on this forum, its just sad to see people torn apart opposed to helped, IMO you he to treat each case as individual even if the question has been asked a thousand times already, there's some great people with a great wealth of knowledge and expirince on here.

:)

No one knows everything.
Yeah, that's why I love this forum, everyone is friendly and helpful!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts